Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Iron City "Gun Club" Outdoor

I didn't see a specific thread for the Outdoor range so I thought I would start one based on my expierence today.

I went to do some testing on my load/rifle on the 400 Meter/yard (didn't take my range finder and they can't make up their minds between meter and yards) line before I go to Thunder Valley.

I found the place to visually look like shit. Like it really wasn't worth the $20 for my hour of range time. The buildings were run down the grass wasn't mowed well. I was shooting through giant hogweed at the 300 and 400 lines. I couldn't tell if I was hitting the steel and the dude with his bump fire 22 blasting a steel 1/3 IPSC he brought along meant I couldn't hear the report of the steel either. The place has potential but I don't see Jason Doetzer putting the money into it to make it worth while. I used to work for the guy and he was always cheap so I shouldn't be too suprised but come on man at least mow the damn grass.
    Last edited by duqjeep2010; July 1st, 2017 at 08:35 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Iron City "Gun Club" Outdoor

Why ?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JDA58 View Post
    Why ?
    Because it could be a place for the west side of the city to shoot at 400.
    The place was a shithole.
    I figured it was because the possibility of the township having the place shutdown due to ordinance issues.

The owner evidently has said and done things that most people find reason enough to not use his ranges or shop in his store.
    If the place was kept up and the price dropped, I would go there. The owner was civil to me when I met him.
    I had no issues with him personally and wouldn't recognize him if he was next to me.
    The infamous thread on this board was essentially one sided and we got the side of the original OP.
    The owner had other issues as well.
    Now. Let me clarify the the previous owner had problems and issues too.
    They didn't affect me, it was a close and an adequate place to shoot instea of driving close to an hour to PMSC.
    Tex operated it as a public range but at a reasonable price.
    The new owner is charging way too much for me to be interested.
    That's the only reason I don't shoot there.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    Because it could be a place for the west side of the city to shoot at 400.

The original post I saw from the OP only said I went to the range (or something along those lines) nothing more nothing less... very vague post.. so I responded with a very Vague answer .. But now his post has been Edited...

(Allegheny County)

I posted this in another thread. My son and I shot there before. We brought a weedeater with us to chop down the weeds hiding the berms. It could be a great range. But the owners just don't give a fuck. We even offered to do range maintenance in exchange for shooting time. Just recieved blank stares. We did get thousands of brass from the place. Left with many full 5 gallon buckets.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    I posted this in another thread. My son and I shot there before. We brought a weedeater with us to chop down the weeds hiding the berms. It could be a great range. But the owners just don't give a fuck. We even offered to do range maintenance in exchange for shooting time. Just recieved blank stares. We did get thousands of brass from the place. Left with many full 5 gallon buckets.
    Why would they give you range time when it costs them nothing to let the weeds grow?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Why would they give you range time when it costs them nothing to let the weeds grow?
    Exactly. I even offered to get their trap throwers running. I have alot of experience in that area. Was a trap "boy" in the 60's. Spent alot of my younger life maintaining the gear. Same blank stare. Could be a fantastic range. What a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by JDA58 View Post
    The original post I saw from the OP only said I went to the range (or something along those lines) nothing more nothing less... very vague post.. so I responded with a very Vague answer .. But now his post has been Edited...
    Yeah, my bad I guess enter on the number pad will auto post. Bumped it by accident when I went from mouse to keyboard.

That being said. I used to work for Jason. I haven't set foot in any of his establishments since I got my equipment back, so that has been almost two years. I figured maybe I would let bygones be bygones and see what the outdoor range is like and all I can say is Jason hasn't changed since I worked for him. If I were a member, I wouldn't expect to see any improvements ever that guy is about one thing, and that is money.

It is a shame because that facility could be so nice.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by duqjeep2010 View Post
    Yeah, my bad I guess enter on the number pad will auto post. Bumped it by accident when I went from mouse to keyboard.

That being said. I used to work for Jason. I haven't set foot in any of his establishments since I got my equipment back, so that has been almost two years. I figured maybe I would let bygones be bygones and see what the outdoor range is like and all I can say is Jason hasn't changed since I worked for him. If I were a member, I wouldn't expect to see any improvements ever that guy is about one thing, and that is money.

It's all good!!!

other than the fact that I think there isn't a single person here that would normally hate to see any Gun range fail... but this guy seems to be pushing the limits for many.. spend a little time cleaning or cutting the grass and maybe more people will go...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast