Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Beretta Customer Service - Disappointed...

I'll try to make this short and quick...

I purchased a Beretta PX4 Storm from a fellow PAFOA'er on Friday. He purchased the gun 6 months ago and put only 20 rounds down range. First thing I did after I got home was thoroughly clean the gun.

On Saturday, I put 100 rounds through it. It traveled to and from the range in a case in my range bag. I holstered the gun a few times - in a molded leather holster... I got home, cleaned the gun, and noticed a chip in one of the front serrations. The gun is black so its very noticeable as you can now see bare metal - so I'm positive I did not receive the gun in such condition.

Today I called Beretta's customer service because they aren't open on weekends. After waiting for more than 20 minutes to talk to someone - I explained the situation and the guy said "oh, not original owner, can't help ya!" They have a one year warranty, gun is 6 months old. I kind of do but kind of don't understand that the warranty doesn't transfer... I'm upset nonetheless. The guy also said "oh, a chip - I wouldn't worry about it." Well, if I didn't drop the gun and didn't hit it against anything, I'm kind of concerned that the metal is somehow that weak to cheap for an unknown reason. I'm also a bit anal when it comes to my firearms and flat out don't like the idea that one has a chip in the slide.

Any thoughts on how the gun serration could have chipped? Any ideas on how I should approach Beretta? I do intend on calling them again but am going to hold back on mentioning the whole second owner thing right away...

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Beretta Customer Service - Disappointed...

Even if you had warranty coverage, they generally will do NOTHING about the finish wear. I believe it is stated in their warranty paperwork that the finish isn't covered at all after purchase. I purchased a new 92FS years back and missed a small nick in the slide during initial inspection and this is what their factory rep told me when I asked about possible warranty coverage. They will also often charge you for shipping one or both ways from my experiences as well even for warranty repairs unless the weapon is under factory recall. As a whole, Beretta doesn't have the best of customer service or warranty when compared to S&W, Glock, etc.

(Montgomery County)

That sucks - thanks for the info. I am very pleased with the gun but based on the awesome customer service I have had and heard about with other manufacturers - I may steer clear of them in the future. Its a shame because they have great products, but they should really stand behind them a little better.

Even though its hard to prove I did not cause the chip, I would have still liked to hear something other than "oh don't worry about it" or "second owner, can't help ya!"

I did call again and go figure, I got the same customer service rep on the phone... maybe I was on hold so long because they only have one rep...

(Pike County)

Can you post a picture of this chip you're describing? Is it a chunk of metal that's missing, or just a scratch in the finish?

Worse come to worse, you could always use this stuff:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MQNIZA

I use the Birchwood Casey flat black to cover up small marks on my rifles and handguns.

(Montgomery County)

Its a chunk unfortunately. I actually have that exact product but in a flat black rather than gloss black - had to use it on my Kimber.

I tried taking a few pictures from my phone (hoping Beretta would at least ask to see it), even in macro mode, but you can't see it well. I will try with my digital camera when I get around to it.

If it was a scratch, I wouldn't be so ticked off about it. But its definitely a chunk which now means sharp edges on my slide... It took out about 1/8 of an inch of the one serration.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by ah0873 View Post
    Its a chunk unfortunately. I actually have that exact product but in a flat black rather than gloss black - had to use it on my Kimber.

I tried taking a few pictures from my phone (hoping Beretta would at least ask to see it), even in macro mode, but you can't see it well. I will try with my digital camera when I get around to it.

If it was a scratch, I wouldn't be so ticked off about it. But its definitely a chunk which now means sharp edges on my slide... It took out about 1/8 of an inch of the one serration.
    That's unfortunate to hear. Sorry man, I completely understand how you feel. Are you sure the chip wasn't there before you took the gun home? Reason I say is that there are a lot of things I tend to miss when checking out a gun at a store, but when I get home and take a closer look, end up finding things I wasn't counting on.

If it's on the slide, I suppose you could buy a new slide from gunbroker or similar if Beretta won't take care of you. I see auctions similar to the below pop up from time to time:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=232093196

(Montgomery County)

Yea, I'm 99.9% positive it wasn't there when I took it home. I completely field stripped the gun and cleaned it. Since the slide is gloss black and the chip shows bare metal - its really, really obvious.

Thanks for the link to gunbroker. At this point I think I'm just gonna "bite the bullet" and deal with it... its not like I'm putting the gun on display or anything like that.

I also sent a subsequent e-mail to Beretta explaining the situation - I asked for a response from someone other than a customer service rep so we will see where that goes. I also made it clear that there are plenty of other manufacturers who have (in my opinion) much better customer service and would not intend on buying another Beretta based on how this situation was handled thus far... I'd rather spend double on a firearm if I knew the manufacturer would stand 100% behind their product. In my opinion, even if I dropped the gun, the slide should not have chipped...

(Monroe County)

OP, Beretta has one of the worst customer service in the Gun industry, dont waste your time with them , Brownells is now Beretta's parts supplier if you need anything just contact Brownells , they sell everything Beretta including complete slide assemblies.

Beretta slides are made from high quality forgings, the problem with forgings is that they chip easily and dont respond well to high temperatures and stress, that is the reason why FN went back to castings in their steel Hi Powers.

Have you ever seen a Ruger Gun Chipped?

I wouldnt sweat it though, get a Birchwood casey Touch up pen and touch it up.

I'm going to have to agree about the poor quality.. or basic lack of... customer service from Beretta. Although I've only had one quick dealing with them, I was surprised enough about the lack of concern that I searched for places to post my disappointment. That is how I found this link.
    My basic request was for them to cancel an online order that I had placed just minutes before (the shipping charge ended up being more than the items ordered... which was incredibly unreasonable). Of course, I was told by the "nice lady" on the phone that Beretta "can't cancel an online order". I assured her that she "could" and didn't get anywhere. It's easy enough to dispute the charge with my CC company but Beretta might be losing more than just me as a customer due to their lack of any real effort in the customer service department. It's too bad. I've liked the products that I've purchased from them so far.. but their not the only gun makers around!

(York County)

I know pay all that money for a gun because it is a Beretta suppost to last a lifetime. Then it breaks the charge you more than you could buy another brand to fix it I have washed my hands of them. I recently owned 7 Berettas. But have started selling them off. Done wasting more money for a name that doesn't stand behind the products. Savage and Browning has given me great customer service.