Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Man shoots daughter..... If you are new too ALWAYS treat your gun like it's loaded

Things like this do unfortunately occasionally happen.... and are completely avoidable, hopefully others can learn so it does not happen to them.

Some basic rules if you are new to the site or firearms, or even as an occasional reminder since no one is perfect.

1. ALWAYS treat your gun like it is loaded
    2. Never point it at another person, (unless in a self defense situation.)
    3. Don't point it at anything you are not willing to destroy
    4. Keep your finger off the trigger until on target.
    5. Always know what your target is and what is beyond it.

This is such a senseless and avoidable death.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/07/01...un-safety.html
    'I thought it was empty': Father says he fatally shot daughter, 9, while teaching sons gun safety

A northwestern Indiana man said he was showing a handgun to his sons and telling them to never play with it "because it can kill someone" when he accidentally shot and killed his 9-year-old daughter, according to court records.

Eric Hummel sobbed while reporting the shooting during a 911 call on June 10, telling the dispatcher, "This can't be real," the Post-Tribune reported. His daughter, Olivia, died about 30 minutes later at a hospital.

Authorities said the 33-year-old father was showing his sons a 9 mm semi-automatic handgun when he inadvertently shot Olivia as she walked into the room. Hummel told the 911 dispatcher he didn't realize the gun was loaded when he pulled the trigger.

The dispatcher instructed Hummel to perform CPR on his daughter until emergency responders arrived. An autopsy showed the girl was shot in the forehead at close range.

The newspaper obtained the 911 call recording through a public records request.

"I had my gun, and I pulled the trigger. I didn't realize there was a bullet in there, and I shot my daughter," Hummel told the dispatcher.

The call continued and the dispatcher asked if he could perform CPR.

"Should I press on her chest?" he asked

"Yes.”

"She's got blood, man, everywhere," he replied.

The paper reported that he could be heard whispering, “Please don’t go.”

Hummel reportedly called the girl’s mother from the police station and told her to go to the hospital because their daughter was dead. One of the responding officers reportedly overheard Hummel say, “I shot her. I’m so sorry.”

One of Hummel’s sons—the 9-year-old—said his father pointed the gun at him “probably like two times” and “a few times” at the other brother, the police report alleged.

Hobart Police Chief Richard W. Zormier said at a press conference, “I believe this was a series of heinous and depraved acts committed by the suspect on June 10. His actions that day endangered the lives of all three children and ultimately stole the life of Olivia, an innocent 9-year-old girl.”

He continued, “His actions caused the death of Olivia and likely scarred the boys emotionally for life.”

Hummel faces multiple charges, including reckless homicide and child neglect. He plans to plead not guilty, according to his attorney, Paul Stracci.

Stracci said the idea that Hummel knowingly endangered his children was "ridiculous."

"Anyone who knows him knows he loves his kids more than anything in the world and would never do anything to hurt them," Stracci said.

Hummel's next court date is scheduled for Aug. 24.

The Associated Press contributed to this report
    Last edited by internet troll; July 1st, 2017 at 12:19 PM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Man shoots daughter..... If you are new too ALWAYS treat your gun like it's loade

What a horrible thing to have to live with. This family needs prayers on their behalf.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Man shoots daughter..... If you are new too ALWAYS treat your gun like it's loade

It is an unbelievably horrible thing to have to live with. I can't imagine.

However, there's a serious amount of fail on his part. He fucked up bad.

Heinous and depraved? WTF? This guy is beyond retarded but it sounds like an accident. It makes me sick to my stomach thinking about how it would feel to accidentally kill your child.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    This guy is beyond retarded but it sounds like an accident.
    Of course it was accident. Way to kick a guy while he's down... on suicide watch.

(Delaware County)

There's absolutely no excuse for aiming and pulling a trigger because you "thought the gun was unloaded." This man's inexcusable idiocy cost him the life of his daughter. Living with that is a fate worse than any legal ramifications but legal ramifications there should also be.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gman106 View Post
    There's absolutely no excuse for aiming and pulling a trigger because you "thought the gun was unloaded." This man's inexcusable idiocy cost him the life of his daughter. Living with that is a fate worse than any legal ramifications but legal ramifications there should also be.
    I agree with Gman106. They say there are no stupid questions... but there are. They say we all make mistakes, but there are stupid "mistakes" that are really not mistakes, but sheer idiocy. The guy is an idiot who made an inexcusable "mistake" through being stupid. Life is tough... it's tougher if you're stupid.

That he has to live with the horror of his mistake doesn't change that. If I did something so stupid the next bullet would probably be self-inflicted, to the brain. I can't imagine living with it.

But we -can- sympathize with what he must be suffering without excusing it. As someone else has said, his punishment is self-inflicted and probably worse than anything we as a society and/or legal system can inflict on him. I don't "feel bad" for the guy, I feel bad for the young girl who lost her life to her own father's stupidity. But I feel no need to inflict more on him than he's already suffering.
    DGAF

(Chester County)

This may be the worst thing I have read today. And as the other parent to this child, I would never forgive my significant other. He did this, and it wasn't an accident. Did he intend to kill his child? No. BUT, it's our responsibility as firearm owners to follow simple rules and by reading this article he broke multiple of those rules.

The only positive that comes from this, is that this moron will never hold a gun again.

(Washington County)

Holllyyy shiiitttt man. I feel bad but what everyone else has said. What an idiot. Com'on now.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by RS1911 View Post
    This may be the worst thing I have read today. And as the other parent to this child, I would never forgive my significant other. He did this, and it wasn't an accident. Did he intend to kill his child? No. BUT, it's our responsibility as firearm owners to follow simple rules and by reading this article he broke multiple of those rules.

The only positive that comes from this, is that this moron will never hold a gun again.
    And whether you agree with it or not (I don't), this sort of stupid crap definitely adds fuel to the "no license without training" camp. Not a good thing, IMHO. And yet how do you argue it? This moron does this, and the anti-2a folk start militating about "See, this is why you need ____ hours of training and tests before you're entitled to own a gun." I can tell you all the reasons why not, but it doesn't make the "because constitution" argument any easier to put across...

THAT is one reason I could get behind for adding insult to injury and prosecuting this poor dumb SOB.
    DGAF

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast