Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Photobucket Demands $400 Ransom to Release Photos

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    Fuck them. The sad truth is I had little choice but to pay their ransom. Thousands of listings with embedded photos effectively DOA and sales plummeting. I could either pay up or go on firedrill to redo thousands of listings which would have taken days and days of no sales, and better things to do. So I paid.

So well played, Photobucket. You got me. Once. Now I have a full year to slowly erase you from my life and never take your shit again. I also have a full year (and beyond) to trash you on social media, boards and pretty much every chance I get. As someone else mentioned... Had you handled this reasonably "Hey, you have 30 days before the switch gets flipped, then you have to pay $ReasonableAmount per month" I'd have probably paid up and stayed with it.

So congrats. You got my $400 because I had no effective choice. Enjoy it, because not one penny more ever, and everything I can do to warn people away... forever.
    Bright side. You can at least use it as a business expense. Others are just plain out of luck.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by STBear View Post
    Bright side. You can at least use it as a business expense. Others are just plain out of luck.
    Yeah, true. Kinda cold comfort, but yes better than it coulda been.
    DGAF

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    Fuck them. The sad truth is I had little choice but to pay their ransom. Thousands of listings with embedded photos effectively DOA and sales plummeting. I could either pay up or go on firedrill to redo thousands of listings which would have taken days and days of no sales, and better things to do. So I paid.

So well played, Photobucket. You got me. Once. Now I have a full year to slowly erase you from my life and never take your shit again. I also have a full year (and beyond) to trash you on social media, boards and pretty much every chance I get. As someone else mentioned... Had you handled this reasonably "Hey, you have 30 days before the switch gets flipped, then you have to pay $ReasonableAmount per month" I'd have probably paid up and stayed with it.

So congrats. You got my $400 because I had no effective choice. Enjoy it, because not one penny more ever, and everything I can do to warn people away... forever.

I guess that is their business model. The following are fake numbers but the general idea.

Let's say they currently have 5000 free members. Not making much money.

They send out emails pissing off 4500 who delete their accounts or just stop using them, but 500 get stuck and have to stay and pay the $400 or figure it's not a big deal. There's $200,000 and a nice profit. Works for them in the short term, don't know about long term though.

(Allegheny County)

Hey Photobucket, here's the first photo posted without you. Go stick your head in a food processor.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lancaster County)

I'm guessing that we're going to soon find out how far a company can change the TOS on the fly. I'm betting there's gonna be a lawsuit for this.

Definitely a great way to completely fuck over your business.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I'm guessing that we're going to soon find out how far a company can change the TOS on the fly. I'm betting there's gonna be a lawsuit for this.

Definitely a great way to completely fuck over your business.
    I can only imagine how badly this can affect some people.
    I'm really really really upset that years and years and years of my forum posts are completely useless now, but that's not affecting my bottom line - it's just a sad thing to have things that you shared with your friends taken away - other people are going to be affected in much more serious, and negative ways than me.

The "outsiders" can poke their unaffected noses in and spout crap about how "you should have known", or "you should have done it this way instead", but while that may be true, it has ZERO bearing on the fact that Photobucket CHANGED THE RULES that you agreed to and THEN required you to pay up. That is so far beyond fucked up it's not even funny.
    If there is any justice they WILL be successfully sued over this.

The only reason I ever put anything on photobucket etc...was to 3rd party host. I have copies of all of the photos that I put there either on an external hard drive or YES, actually printed out. I feel bad that you "lost" photos.

(Luzerne County)

I have been watching my pics on photo bucket all day. Still un affected.

Going to backup when I get home.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

EM: empty your PMs, you hoarder.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    The only reason I ever put anything on photobucket etc...was to 3rd party host. I have copies of all of the photos that I put there either on an external hard drive or YES, actually printed out. I feel bad that you "lost" photos.
    Yeah, I mean I know that's my fault for not backing up. My computer died and that's where many of the older pet photos were at.
    I figured "Well, at least we have the ones that are on Photobucket".

EDIT: I see that the some of the ones I was concerned most about are still viewable, so that's good.
    Looks like my first free account is still unaffected.
    Second free account is held hostage.
    Third free account is held hostage. (I started this one just for pet pics and quickly reached my free limit since they lowered the amount of free space drastically from what they allowed with my other accounts - and I WAS NOT OVER MY ALLOWED LIMIT - because Photobucket would NOT ALLOW me to exceed it.)

Just checked my PAID ACCOUNT - It's HELD HOSTAGE TOO. The account I AM PAYING EXTRA FOR so I would have extra storage space which I was not even REMOTELY close to the maximum.

Don't go thinking you are "safe" - the paid account was displaying images just fine yesterday - now it's just showing the ransom note.
    THAT really pisses me off and SHOULD be a legal reason to sue - we are PAYING MONEY and now they are demanding much much much more - or else.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast