Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: Photobucket Demands $400 Ransom to Release Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    This is a big deal - way bigger than Emptymag ranting about none of his pet pics showing up any more.
    I don't think a lot of people realize the extent of this action.
    You're 100% correct, EM. This is not about "oh my forum photos don't show up" this is about highway robbery on a grand scale.

FWIW, PB site seems to be pretty DOA today. Wondering if a few "malcontents" they pissed off with this little greed maneuver have cooked up some tasty DDOS attacks on their servers or similar.

I'm torn: redoing all my listings to use someone else will take a lot of time, that's why I paid the extortion. OTOH... I'd have some nice old 'schadenfreude' seeing them go down in flames.

Also FWIW, I registered my 'discontent' with them (politely but firmly) via social media. Their response was "the people responding here aren't in charge of change, please don't be mean to us."

Okay... So they not only don't get e-commerce or shareware... they also don't get social media. Nice.

KC
    DGAF

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    I haven't read their TOS, but it sounds like the cost to them of hosting some pics for you to look at now and then, is a lot less than them using up bandwidth every time somebody loads a page where your link to one of your pics is. Like thousands of times less.

If the TOS have always said "you can't use this service for 3rd party pages", then I don't see that it's a problem for them to offer a fee-based additional service of hosting your pics for the world to view.

At the same time, it doesn't sound like any pics you had there are lost to you, if you can see them and download them and keep them on your own drive.

I dunno; I always post pics here by uploading them to the PAFOA server. It's a 5 or 6-step medieval process, but it works.

Attachment 98528
    Are there instructions to do that?

(York County)

https://www.facebook.com/photobucket/

It takes little time to click a few "angries" or post some comments telling them exactly what you think...
    DGAF

(Berks County)

I can not postimage from my IPad. The upload link does nothing. Does it work from Android? I'm getting the feeling it's a windows pc only thing.

Photobucket can burn in hell. I have very little on it. I don't trust "the cloud" and never will. "the cloud" bull shit name for web server. I really don't want to set up a server and open a port to the net.

Sorry you got burned to everyone caught by this sleaze ball move on photobucket.

Vic2367, why are you deleting your FB account? What did facebook do now? I know they are anti-gun and all.

I can't help myself. Sorry.

(Lehigh County)

Well that was ridiculously obnoxious and onerous... I haven't visited in a while, apparently, and there wasn't much "site" to be seen today.

It wouldn't even let me delete my account until I searched "help" on the subject and sent them a nasty form mail about my desires to see them loose all their customers and advertisers, then, [I]magically[/I,] clicking on "Delete Account" worked... as if I had been doing something wrong for twenty minutes.

Mission ultimately successful... photos deleted... ACCOUNT DELETED.

(Lackawanna County)

If this guy picks it up it'll be front page news.

Photobucket may become the MySpace of 2017.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    I can not postimage from my IPad. The upload link does nothing. Does it work from Android? I'm getting the feeling it's a windows pc only thing.

Photobucket can burn in hell. I have very little on it. I don't trust "the cloud" and never will. "the cloud" bull shit name for web server. I really don't want to set up a server and open a port to the net.

Sorry you got burned to everyone caught by this sleaze ball move on photobucket.

Vic2367, why are you deleting your FB account? What did facebook do now? I know they are anti-gun and all.

I can't help myself. Sorry.
    Works fine on android.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Gunsnwater, I just posted this from photos on my iPad using the upload. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. It might have something to do with the file size. I'm too confuser illiterate to know.

Since PB won't do 3rd party hosting anymore, which is all I needed it for in the first place, I'm trying Imgur. I posted a couple pics from Imgur in the "Bladeplay" thread, but it's a big learning curve. At least Imgur isn't made practically useless by all the popup ads while you're trying to upload or post pics......yet.

IMG_0426.JPG
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast