Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lebanon County)

Default Black Powder Pistol Build Questions.

Hello all.

So I recently was gifted from my grandfather an interesting kit. Its a complete replica pistol kit for a Brown Bess Musket. 69 caliber Imported by Miroku from Japan and sold by Ultra Hi Products in Hawthorne, NJ. Still in pieces in the same foam, plastic and cardboard packaging it came in when he purchased it in the 70's before forgetting about it in the back of his reloading shed.

From my research it appears that the Brown Bess was made fairly well however the springs were somewhat soft. The wood pistol stock is in rough cut shape and needs a long and time consuming sanding and fitting but all of the brass and steel parts are there. The barrel is drawn steel and looks to be in good shape sans a few brown spots from sitting for the last 40 years in a shed.

Apparently the kits never shipped with the. instructions. Does anyone have any experience and any pointers to share for building a black powder pistol? Or is it even worth it? I'm not really commuted to a build just yet and I'm surprised at how little information there is for Ultra Hi products online.

Please bear in mind I have literally no experience with building flintlock or primitive firearms, as interesting as it looks.

I figured I'd try here in the PAFOA community before seeing what youtube had to offer.

Any information is valued. Thank you!

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Black Powder Pistol Build Questions.

I could loan you my wife as a subject matter person. She has done a few kits. If this is a typical kit, the lock is preassembled, and all the rest is pretty simple. As to fitting and sanding, it varies from kit to kit, but is not all that long and time consuming. If you just want to shoot it, not much at all, but to make it shootable and pretty does take a bit more. Miroku is usually good stuff, so there is that. Have fun with it.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Allegheny County)

I've built some pistols from kits, rifles too. It is a good way to stay busy in the winter and they are fun to shoot.

There are some blackpowder forums that may be helpful in putting it together- can't think of the names offhand, but I have used them in the past for recommendations. I have also put ones together where the directions are pretty sketchy. Just take your time on the wood sanding and filing, keep dry fitting everything as you go. Like most things, the more work you put into it, the better the finished gun. Once it is done, it's fun to work up different loads for them and experimenting as you go.

(Montgomery County)

If you can make it to Kempton at the end of July you can learn enough to take on the project.

http://www.dixonmuzzleloading.com/

If not get a copy of Chuck's book. The art of building the Pennsylvania Longrifle. Not exactly the directions you are looking for but the methods and process will get you there.

Dixon's in my mind is the "Go To" place for black powder.

(Berks County)

+1 million

Was there just today.

Quote Originally Posted by scott125 View Post
    If you can make it to Kempton at the end of July you can learn enough to take on the project.

http://www.dixonmuzzleloading.com/

If not get a copy of Chuck's book. The art of building the Pennsylvania Longrifle. Not exactly the directions you are looking for but the methods and process will get you there.

Dixon's in my mind is the "Go To" place for black powder.

(Bucks County)

"pistol kit for a Brown Bess Musket"....I never knew there was a musket pistol. Always ran into muskets as long guns.

For the period, look into browning the barrel as opposed to bluing it.

(Lancaster County)

Check the breech plug on that Miroku. Some of those 70's kits had a welded on plate vs. a proper breech plug. I had an ultra hi flintlock rifle that I built from a kit back in the 70's. It shot decent but I wouldn't put a very stout charge in it because of the breech issue.