Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Jefferson County)

Default Glock 43 vs XDs vs other single stake 9mm or 45ACP

Anyone with opinions on the Glock 43, Springfield XDS, or any other single stack 9mm, 45ACP, or possibly 357Sig small frame handguns? (No 40cal please)

I'm in the market for a smaller piece, preferably in the 3" to 3.5" barrel length, single stack and slim genre. I visited a shop this week and fondled a G43 - which I liked(even though I'm not a Glock fan). But after a coming home and doing a search I see that Springfield has a nice small piece as well. ...then there are others.

I know the S&W Shield can be had dirt cheap, but that grip looks like a HiPoint. (looks do matter to a small degree) And there is a rave for the Shields lately.

I'm not ruling out other brands, even "lessor" favored brands.

I want to stick with striker fire and poly frame, pre-cock(Glock'ish) or full cocked. Avoiding full double action as much as possible.

PAFOA opinions and suggestions?
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Glock 43 vs XDs vs other single stake 9mm or 45ACP

Between myself and a group of my friends, I have had the chance to shoot the following 9mm compact single stacks:
    Kahr P9,K9,T9; S&W Shield, Springfield XDs, Glock 43, Walther PPS & PPS M2, Sig P938, Beretta Nano, and a little larger ones HK P7M8, SIG P239, Springfield EMP maybe a few others.

They all have their plusses and minusses. I am currently carrying the 43, decided to give it a go this summer. I love to carry this gun, but it is snappy - don't really enjoy shooting more than 100 rds at a time through it. But did I say, I love to carry it!

A couple of my friends really like the Shield, another one loves his XDs. The one thing about the XDs9 - it is heavier, nice shooting, but heavier. I liked it, but not a fan of the grip safety.

Good luck with your choice.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Anyone with opinions on the Glock 43, Springfield XDS, or any other single stack 9mm, 45ACP, or possibly 357Sig small frame handguns? (No 40cal please)

I'm in the market for a smaller piece, preferably in the 3" to 3.5" barrel length, single stack and slim genre. I visited a shop this week and fondled a G43 - which I liked(even though I'm not a Glock fan). But after a coming home and doing a search I see that Springfield has a nice small piece as well. ...then there are others.

I know the S&W Shield can be had dirt cheap, but that grip looks like a HiPoint. (looks do matter to a small degree) And there is a rave for the Shields lately.

I want to stick with striker fire and poly frame, pre-cock(Glock'ish) or full cocked. Avoiding full double action as much as possible.

Well it is at a Hipoint price Only shot a shield once, & I like the way it feels in hand.

Since you're obviously not budget oriented, I am currently carrying for the past couple months a Ruger LC9s. I chose to use Winchester train & defend 147gn ammo in it. Although I haven't shot more than a box at a time. I really enjoy how it shoots, holds & carry's.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Delaware County)

I just ordered the $200 Shield. I carry a LC9 and the LC9s I shot was a nice gun. Be sure to take a look while shopping.

(Westmoreland County)

The Shield seems like the perfect compromise to me. I can pocket carry it and it disappears on a belt. But it handles like a larger gun when running it on the range.

(Allegheny County)

PPS M2 is going for pretty darn cheap too! Picked one up for $260 after rebate (with an extra 7 round magazine, for a total of 1 6rd, 2 7rd). Just finished putting night sights on it.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post

I had an xds 9mm that I sold two weeks ago. I did not feel comfortable shooting it and it just did not click for me. I have the .45 shield and love it. Feels comfortable and very accurate. I have also carried a p938 and LC9s. Both are good guns.

Right now though the .45 shield is my go to.

Best to go to the store and fondle several different models. Make sure to look at a Ruger LC9 (a couple versions available) along with the Kahrs (CM9,PM9, etc). There are no subcompact single stack striker fired handguns in .357sig that I know of. I wouldn't buy a Springfield due to the BS they pulled with IL gun legislation.

(Bucks County)

"I don't always single-stack, but when I do, I carry a Ruger LC9s Pro."

Makes a good BUG too; I've had mine in an ankle holster for 12+ hour days repeatedly.
    "A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ― Edward R. Murrow

(Allegheny County)

If you buy the Shield and don't like it, you can probably get your $200 back easily.

That's the way I looked at it.
    Picking it up tomorrow.

If I don't like it, I'll sell it to you for $275! (because there won't be any way to get a $200 Shield after today, June 30)
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast