Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Jefferson County)

Default Re: Senate approves bill to allow guns in schools

Quote Originally Posted by john9001 View Post
    Philly should be part of New Jersey. Need to work on that.
    No, Philly should be part of Maryland. It technically sits within Maryland's royal charter border, which was issued before the charter to William Penn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...onial_Maryland
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Apparently there was a number of anti-gun amendments attached to it: https://blog.princelaw.com/2017/06/2...-pennsylvania/

While I have not talked to my senator, I know he is very Pro-2a
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Bucks County)

Thank you bigdawgbeav I was just about to share that link from princelaw also.
    <-Click For My Youtube [Don't waive your rights with your flags. -Sage Francis]

(Chester County)

As currently written and amended, this is an attempt to get the camel's nose under the tent. It is a tactic by the Bloomies that I haven't seen before. This is a pretty clever political trap. today the bloomies are passing around joints celebrating their victory over dumbass senators.

I recently read that state 2A activism in PA is probably the most sophisticated in the nation. I don't remember exactly where, but it was a well known national pro-2A blog. I'm pretty sure that our guys on the front line will educate the members of the state House while informing us so it will be OK for them to reject this as it is. At some point we'll be asked to back it up with phone calls, letters and emails.

In the end, this one's going nowhere.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

Quote Originally Posted by Gripsafety View Post
    As currently written and amended, this is an attempt to get the camel's nose under the tent. It is a tactic by the Bloomies that I haven't seen before. This is a pretty clever political trap. today the bloomies are passing around joints celebrating their victory over dumbass senators.

I recently read that state 2A activism in PA is probably the most sophisticated in the nation. I don't remember exactly where, but it was a well known national pro-2A blog. I'm pretty sure that our guys on the front line will educate the members of the state House while informing us so it will be OK for them to reject this as it is. At some point we'll be asked to back it up with phone calls, letters and emails.

In the end, this one's going nowhere.
    There are some concerns I have with it. 1. It requires a psychological evaluation. I don't remember reading anywhere that the 2nd says "shall not be questioned...... unless you're a teacher". We are now setting up parameters where a 3rd party decides who's fit to carry or not. I can see this being a camels nose scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    No, Philly should be part of Maryland. It technically sits within Maryland's royal charter border, which was issued before the charter to William Penn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...onial_Maryland
    I don't care who takes them, just take them.

I'd hate to see Delaware wrecked by having Philly, so I'd prefer Poo Jersey or Maryland take it...either would be a marriage made in heaven for them.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

An article that works:

http://fox43.com/2017/06/28/pa-senat...n-campus-with/

Pa. Senate passes bill clearing way for schools to allow employees’ guns on campus
    POSTED 5:25 PM, JUNE 28, 2017, BY MATT MAISEL, UPDATED AT 05:36PM, JUNE 28, 2017

HARRISBURG, Pa. -- Controversial legislation allowing Pennsylvania public school workers to bring guns onto school grounds narrowly passed the State Senate on Wednesday.

Senate Bill 383 passed by a vote of 28-22, with six Republican Senators voting against it. The legislation would allow school employees who are licensed to carry firearms the ability to store their gun in their classroom or office inside a safe.

Senator John Eichelberger (R-Cumberland, Franklin, Blair) co-sponsored the bill and led the legislation out of the Education Committee, of which he is chairman.

"This isn't where we have guns in schools and it's going to be in Mr. Smith's top desk drawer," Eichelberger said. "Many other states have addressed it and it's time for Pennsylvania to step up and take a look at this issue."

Nine other states have passed similar legislation.

The state's teacher's union, the Pennsylvania State Education Association, is vehemently opposed to the bill.

"This is not what teachers are trained to do and it's not their primary responsibility to police school buildings," said Wythe Keever, spokesman for the PSEA. "Their job is to educate children."

Eichelberger quipped, "Yeah, well they're liberals."

The senator added many teachers have independently spoken to state lawmakers expressing interest for SB383.

"They'll protect that position before they protect their membership. But go ahead, what are they arguing now?" Eichelberger added.

SB383 looks different headed over to the House than it did when it was originally presented by its prime sponsor, Senator Don White (R-Westmoreland).

Earlier in the week, Sen. Shariff Street (D-Philadelphia) introduced 16 different amendments in a way to make the bill safer. It was condensed to four main points, and approved by a 49-1 vote, in exchange for shorter debate on the Senate floor.

Street's amendment added that all teachers, principals, or other school employees carrying firearms on school campuses must undergo the same type of psychological evaluation a police officer goes through to carry a gun.

Street's amendment would also require schools to inform local law enforcement specifically which employees were carrying their weapons on campus. The bill also requires school districts to inform parents in the district that they have staff storing firearms.

Lastly, the amendment would require school boards to inform the nearest hospital about its firearm policy.

"That doesn't change the fact I'm not voting for the bill," Street said. "But I do appreciate the fact we we're able to make a bad bill not as bad."

House spokesperson Stephen Miskin said leadership would review the bill before acting on it. Governor Wolf has said he is against the legislation.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Delaware County)

PA politicians are not the sharpest tools in the shed. Not sure I would even call them tools, for it gives real tools a bad name. What else do you find in sheds??? Manure. Huh?

Politicians are like mushrooms...kept in the dark and fed a load of manure. I don't worry about insulting mushrooms...yet.

sarc.off

(Bucks County)

There are still a lot of idiots out there incapable of doing the math: Gun on premises, gun instantly available, bad. Gun needed on premises, wait for the guns (cops) to come, enduring long delay while shooter is shooting, good. Idiots...but then, I repeat myself.

(Berks County)

Joshua Prince, Esq. - Firearms Industry Consulting Group - www.PaFirearmsLawyer.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast