Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: 9 mm length

(Allegheny County)

Arrow 9 mm length

I've been loading right in between Min & Max length. I was wondering, is there any advantage to going closer to the Min or Max range. thx

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: 9 mm length

Some barres have shorter throats. Tanfoglio and cz come to mind. Some people swear that accuracy increases by loading pistol as if it's precision rifle and loading so that you are almost in the rifling so you're not jumping into the barrel. Some of us load to a length that works in everything we own that shoots that caliber.

(Chester County)

The theory, in general, is to get your projectile to sit about 0.010" off the lands of the rifling. This way, the bullet doesn't have to make as wild of a jump into the rifling and, again in theory, you should get more consistent results.

That being said, unless you're shooting 1 hole groups at 25 yards, you're not going to see the accuracy gains.

What is more important, however, is the pressure of the loaded cartridge. You should follow the recipe as designed unless you REALLY know what you're doing and have access to a chrono. You can easily over-pressurize a cartridge by seating the bullet too deep. When in doubt, follow the manual.
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

Accuracy usually goes up the closer the bullet is to contacting the lede.
    For the average shooter shooting the average 9x19, it doesn't matter.
    As the internal volume goes up, the more powder you can use for a given pressure, so the higher velocity you can generate and you can achieve major power factor.
    For the average 9x19, it doesn't matter.
    For some bullets, say JHPs and SWCs, COL can be critical for feeding and chambering, and knowing how to determine a working COL allows you wider latitude in bullet selection and ability to use the more accurate bullets than FMJ-RN.
    For the average 9x19, it probably doesn't matter.

(Cumberland County)

Just seat it out as far as the magazine will allow. You can seat deeper as needed, but it's hard to pull the bullet back out. If it feeds and functions like it should then you are good, if not, you can then seat deeper until it does. And since you are using bullseye and plated bullets, you will most likely not have to go any deeper. And 4.4gr is not going to strip the plating off. You can catch the bullet in a row of milk jugs to make sure. But it should be right on par speed wise. Good luck and PLEASE. E SAFE!!!!!

(Allegheny County)

i can verify what nathan said my cz sp-01 but more so my P-09 has a very shallow throat. my Sig's and even my CZ Scorpion are more forgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyj View Post
    I've been loading right in between Min & Max length. I was wondering, is there any advantage to going closer to the Min or Max range. thx
    When I load 9mm I always take an average from about 10 measurements of OAL of various comm'l ammo samples, in the bullet type I plan to load. My first want is..FUNCTIONALITY.."will the round feed and extract well in my whatever? " Second is accuracy and third is cost.
    Note..I always LOOK into each case after it goes thru my progressive Dillon..to make eyeball-sure it doesn't have a 'double load"
    Last edited by Fred762; July 16th, 2017 at 09:17 AM.