Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default How do YOU clean your guns?

I know we have talked about this before, but my question is a little more specific.

What do each of you use that you think BEST cleans your guns (revolver or semi-auto)? By that, I mean what chemicals do you use? I know many use regular Hopps no.9 solvent and then Hopps gun oil. I have seen some items (one that comes to mind is Birchwood?) and comes in a spray and I think is an all-in-one...cleaner and lubricant? If you do use this...how do you like it? How do you use it to get the best results?

Edit: What I was referring to is Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber...I found it online.

Dave G.
    Last edited by dmg1969; February 23rd, 2007 at 11:37 AM.
    Dave G.

"Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed."

-Lieutenant Lowell Duckett, Special Assistant to DC Police Chief; President, Black Police Caucus, The Washington Post, March 22, 1996

FN Herstal FNP-9M 9mm compact
    Taurus model 85 .38 special

(Tioga County)

Default Re: How do YOU clean your guns?

It depends on which gun I'm cleaning. My 1911 I strip and drop in Ed's Red for starters. The barrel will get a good good going over with Butch's Bore Shine as that is what I use to clean the bore of my varmint rifles. I'm not picky about oils. I haven't noted a dimes work of difference in any I have tried. I use a general purpose oil for wipe down of the exterior of my guns. I bout a Springfield XD and bought some Hoppes Blast and clean to try out. I don't like it, too mesy. then I bought a Bushmaster 16M4ORC. Someone suggested Breakfree CLP. School is still out on that. The last time I cleaned the AR I used a lot of Carb cleaner on it. It did blow away most of the carbon in the action. I used both the carb cleaner and the CLP on the bore. It think the next time the bore of the AR will see some Butch's My revoler get the same treatment as the 1911. I use a lead remover cloth on the face of the cylinder of the revolver to remove all the build up. I sometimes cut the lead cloth into patches and use it in the chambers of the cylinder also. It brings the stainless back to it's luster.

Quote Originally Posted by dmg1969 View Post
    I know we have talked about this before, but my question is a little more specific.

What do each of you use that you think BEST cleans your guns (revolver or semi-auto)? By that, I mean what chemicals do you use? I know many use regular Hopps no.9 solvent and then Hopps gun oil. I have seen some items (one that comes to mind is Birchwood?) and comes in a spray and I think is an all-in-one...cleaner and lubricant? If you do use this...how do you like it? How do you use it to get the best results?

Dave G.

(Erie County)

Normally medium load spin cycle. Just toss a little Hoppes #9 in there and let the machine do its work. Then I set it to delicates and let them dry off. Kidding!

I use Hoppes #9 on the whole gun to clean/rust proof it. Then lube it with Remington oil spray or Hoppes liquid oil. I probably wouldn't use an All-In-One because I like to keep a nice layer on the gun to garauntee it's rust resistant. Maybe thats over-kill but eh....

(Bucks County)

CLP BreakFree.
    It is what currently our troops are using. Its great, clean's/lube's/protects all in one great bottle. It gets rid of build-up excellent!.

Oh and cue tips are very very handy. Lil trick i use to get in those small spaces, i take a old buisness card and wrap a cloth swab around it and use the stiff edge to get in the very tight places. works great.
    Drakin
    Life and Liberty, Freedom for all.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by DrakinClaw View Post
    CLP BreakFree.
    It is what currently our troops are using. Its great, clean's/lube's/protects all in one great bottle. It gets rid of build-up excellent!.

Oh and cue tips are very very handy. Lil trick i use to get in those small spaces, i take a old buisness card and wrap a cloth swab around it and use the stiff edge to get in the very tight places. works great.
    Drakin
    Is this stuff commonly available, or is this something that needs to be ordered? I'd like to try it out if I don't have to go through flips and twists to get it. Their site says Ace Hardware carries it, but the Ace near me had no idea what I was talking about when I asked.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Perry County)

OK, so how do you use it? Spray it on...let it sit and then scrub the bore/action...wipe off and then spray again with a light coat?

And I use Q-tips as well...and an old toothbrush.

Dave G.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakinClaw View Post
    CLP BreakFree.

Drakin
    Dave G.

"Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed."

-Lieutenant Lowell Duckett, Special Assistant to DC Police Chief; President, Black Police Caucus, The Washington Post, March 22, 1996

FN Herstal FNP-9M 9mm compact
    Taurus model 85 .38 special

(Allegheny County)

I use a few things to clean my guns.

Rifle & Shotgun:

1) Gun Scrubber

2) Tuf-Cloth and Tuf-Glide.

3) Outers Foaming Bore Cleaner

4) Standard rifle cleaning kit.

Glocks:

1) Sink filled with soap and water.

2) Toothbrush

3) Foaming Bore Cleaner (also works for getting the grime off of your weaponlights)

4) Tuf-cloth and Tuf-Glide

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    Is this stuff commonly available, or is this something that needs to be ordered? I'd like to try it out if I don't have to go through flips and twists to get it. Their site says Ace Hardware carries it, but the Ace near me had no idea what I was talking about when I asked.
    CR - Breakfree is readily available in most, if not all, gun shops. I know that you can get it at both Cabela's in Hamburg and French Creek Outfitters, you may also be able to find it at Dick's Sporting Goods over at the mall. If you can't find any let me know, I may have an extra bottle that I could let you have.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    Hey CR,
    Yup it is very easy to find, most sporting good/firearm stores/ranges carry it. I get mine from dicks. Its priced fair and easy to use. It comes in a spray can form, or a smaller bottle that has a little dripper you can squeeze. Whats nice about this is, its all 3 things you need in one package. For the bore, i spray it on let it sit for 5 min then wipe it down with a lil CLP on the cleaning patch. Gets the metal nice and shiney. Then when i assemble it all together use, a lil bit for areas were you need lube. It is truely amazing stuff, and you dont need 50 products to clean your gun like Hoppes. Although Hoppes does have a nice smell to it.
    When i first started out with firearms someone mentioned to me Hoppes is a Carcinogen if it makes repeated contact with the skin. I dont know if its true, but thats how i found out about CLP.
    Drakin

(Bucks County)

tooth brushes, for me, make more of a mess than they clean, they just splatter the dirt and oil everywere when your brushing the metal down.
    Drak

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast