Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Philly fugitives asked to surrender at church

This bothers me in a multitude of ways.

http://ydr.inyork.com/ci_10411993
    The Associated Press
    Article Last Updated: 09/08/2008 04:25:47 PM EDT

PHILADELPHIA—Law enforcement officials in Philadelphia are asking nonviolent fugitives to turn themselves in—at a church.

The initiative is designed to clear up some of the 38,000 misdemeanor warrants outstanding in the city.

Fugitives can surrender at True Gospel Tabernacle between Sept. 17-20. Judges and lawyers will be at the church, which many see as a less intimidating place than a police station or courthouse.

Officials say most fugitives will be able to surrender, arrange a new court date and go home. But they warn there is no amnesty.

Philadelphia is the 11th city to offer the program, called "Fugitive Safe Surrender." It was started three years ago by a federal marshal in Ohio.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Philly fugitives asked to surrender at church

This is an absolute disgrace. Ultimately, it will be an embarassing failure.

The First Judicial District Warrant Unit has some good investigators and tries to do a good job. Unfortunately, they're hamstrung in many ways by administrators and bureaucrats who would much prefer there was no need for people with guns and handcuffs to be in their midst.

I wonder if any of the folks who do turn themselves in will be charged with the appropriate violation of 18 PA CS 5124.

Fugitive enforcement, while an incredibly important facet of police work, is given a shockingly low priority in Philadelphia.

(Philadelphia County)

Kids, don't forget to stop by your local neighborhood gun-buy-back program, before hitting your Fugitive Safe Surrender spot!
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Chester County)

I saw this on the news earlier in the week. The part I found funny was when they said that this was a voluntary thing, but if you didn't turn yourself in, expect a knock on your door in the upcoming weeks. That's like going to a local fair or flea market, and there is a "required donation" for parking or admission.

This was done here in Detroit a little over a month ago. News said it was a big success, large turn out, lots of news coverage. a lot of plea-bargains, very few did any jail time. I do not know if would have been the same out come in a regular court or not.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by khicks View Post
    This was done here in Detroit a little over a month ago. News said it was a big success, large turn out, lots of news coverage. a lot of plea-bargains, very few did any jail time. I do not know if would have been the same out come in a regular court or not.
    Probably not. But really, even if it was a horrible failure, you won't hear that on the news, the local government needs to then save face. 3 people turn out, it's a resounding success to them. The one upside to this, however you look at it, is that those that do turn themselves in, are dealt with accordingly. I don't necessarily agree with adjusted sentences or penalties because they all met up at a church. The criminals are the ones that hid in the first place, now we are doing them a favor?

I get it, at least the issue is dealt with, but i think it sends mixed signals to future criminals.

(Lehigh County)

Or the court clerks could just throw away the paperwork... that would clear their backlog too.

/eliminate the middle man, as it were!

(Berks County)

Do they honestly think criminals will be more likely to surrender simply because the muster point is a church?
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    Do they honestly think criminals will be more likely to surrender simply because the muster point is a church?
    The Reverend say: "Why yes... yes I do!"

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kayland View Post
    Or the court clerks could just throw away the paperwork... that would clear their backlog too.

/eliminate the middle man, as it were!
    I understand the tongue in cheek tone in your post, but it is alarmingly true to life. One of the services my Detective Agency provides is Background Investigations and I see it ALL the time. Philadelphia has the highest rate of Nolle Pros that I have ever encountered. It is disgusting! So, in a way, they do "just throw away the paperwork".

Be safe (and get the hell out of Philadelphia, like I did!).

Scott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast