Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Budget glass best under $100

So i overspent my guns/hunting budget a bit this year and need some glass for a new rifle. Like the title says i have about $100 for glass. Looking to go up to 500 yards but usually keeping it to 100. This is for range and hunting. SubMOA consistency is desired but realistocally just need Min of Deer. Gun is submoa capable. I prefer BDC and like IR reticles. And want something with paralax adjustments.

Scopes ive found that may meet my needs.
    - Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn CF500 4-16x40 -> $100
    - Crosman Centerpoint TAG BDC 6-20x50 IR reticle. -> $70

Anyone have any experience with these or similar by those manufacturers? Trying to see which is better in terms of clarity, holding zero, adjustments, etc.

Keep in mind this is short term glass and while it needs to be able to last so i can continue using it as short term glass. But its only going to probably be on this gun for ~3-4yrs before i upgrade to a probably a vortex diamondback or something.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Budget glass best under $100

Throwing a Barska Blackhawk into the mix here too. 4-16x40 w/ IR Mil Dot.
    (Barska also has a 4-16x50 (non-IR) and 6-24x50 (non-IR) at similar price).

Anyone have these to compare quality? It may be a short term scope but at the same time they're all in same price range so I'd rather have the best of the 3.

I have a Barska 3-9x40 that I got dirt cheap (like $5 after clearance, additional discount, plus coupon, and free giftcard from previous order) that was adequate for my shot gun. but the IR reticle would be nice as sometimes the black blends in with the trees/bushes.

(Chester County)

My advice: DO NOT BUY cheap glass. Buy used decent glass. Just please dont waste your money. Go on ebay, pick up a used Primary Arms 4-14 FFP for like $140 or find someone selling a used Diamondback.

You get what you pay for with optics.
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ianb1116 View Post
    My advice: DO NOT BUY cheap glass. Buy used decent glass. Just please dont waste your money. Go on ebay, pick up a used Primary Arms 4-14 FFP for like $140 or find someone selling a used Diamondback.

You get what you pay for with optics.
    Look i know not to plan on cheap glass being worth much but as i stated i blew my budget and need short term glass. I have checked around and ebay and havent found anyone selling used reputable glass under $100. most are look over priced for the condition. Im not expecting an excellent scope at this price. I'd be very surprised to find even a great scope at that price. I just need workable glass that will be consistently accurate at 100y and maybe out to 500y (rarely will go that far). I plan on buying better glass in a few years but I have no real need and dont shoot competitive. If i can get ~moa at 100 and hit a deer is all i need right now. Im hesitant for expensive glass on a rifle thats going in the woods anyway.

The barska i have, while not the clearest and limited on features has taken tumbles falls mud and streams. Hit trees, rocks, and bolders and stays zeroed. All on a 12ga. For a cheap scope thats all i need for now for my rifle too.

So at moment im really just going between the 3 brands at wally world. The centerpoint i looked at today appears to be the same origin manufacturer bushnell buys from based on description wording. Leaning towards the barska just because of my experience. At least if i buy at walmart and it really sucks i can easily return it.

I have a barska spotting scope that someone gave me as a gift. Absolute garbage. You're not going to be able to shoot anything at 500yards with a $100 scope. If you have to I would go with the Bushnell. Or scrape together a little more cash and get a Nikon prostaff.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by jlb0305 View Post
    Look i know not to plan on cheap glass being worth much but as i stated i blew my budget and need short term glass. I have checked around and ebay and havent found anyone selling used reputable glass under $100. most are look over priced for the condition. Im not expecting an excellent scope at this price. I'd be very surprised to find even a great scope at that price. I just need workable glass that will be consistently accurate at 100y and maybe out to 500y (rarely will go that far). I plan on buying better glass in a few years but I have no real need and dont shoot competitive. If i can get ~moa at 100 and hit a deer is all i need right now. Im hesitant for expensive glass on a rifle thats going in the woods anyway.

The barska i have, while not the clearest and limited on features has taken tumbles falls mud and streams. Hit trees, rocks, and bolders and stays zeroed. All on a 12ga. For a cheap scope thats all i need for now for my rifle too.

So at moment im really just going between the 3 brands at wally world. The centerpoint i looked at today appears to be the same origin manufacturer bushnell buys from based on description wording. Leaning towards the barska just because of my experience. At least if i buy at walmart and it really sucks i can easily return it.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/vortex-scope...kAAOSwcj5ZS~Fn

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vortex-Diamo...UAAOSwOMdZUV8o

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Primary-Arms...AAAOSw3YJZQqbj

You must not have looked very hard then...I'm just trying to save you from being disappointed, which, if you continue on your current course, you will be.
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

I bought one of these to toss on a pellet rifle because I got sick of buying a Tasco every year for it.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/barga...es/1826669.uts
    I don't know who makes it but it's cheap and had a lifetime warranty. So far it holds true even in drastic temp swings.
    I would compare it to a Bushnell I guess. For $50 I can't complain.

(Erie County)

Primary Arms has a Vortex CrossfireII 4-12x40 with an AO for $99.00 right now

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by chp1911 View Post
    Primary Arms has a Vortex CrossfireII 4-12x40 with an AO for $99.00 right now
    Really? cool! that meets most of what im looking for for now. Reason i was hesitent to go much higher than $100 is because the features i want on decent brand glass go for about $500 and i dont exactly have that to drop right now. So spending cheap on value glass looked better to me than dropping $150-200 on glass that didnt have what i wanted and i was still going to have to drop $500 im a couple years.

yeah I would pick up the Vortex before any of the other scopes that you've mentioned. My wife has a crossfire II on one of her rifles and while it's far from a great scope, it's certainly serviceable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast