Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Indiana County)

Default Primer Fragments Caused Stoppage

Took my daughter to the range today. Half way through the ammo her M&P Shield stopped working. The trigger would reset but all we heard was a click instead of a bang. I field stripped it and thought that I could see something blocking the hole where the striker was supposed to pop out, I tried brushing and forcing the striker forward with my thumb. Decided to stop at Bullseye on the way home to see if Nick would remove the rear sight and pull the striker. Upon doing so he found two gold fragments (Fiochii Ammo). I don't understand what would have to happen for something like that to occur. How could there be so much blow back from a primer to force fragments into such a small hole?

Fortunately I brought both of my shields and let her finish off her ammo with my 9mm while I continued with my .40. Nick saved the day and treated us right so all in a good day with my daughter. I just can't wrap my head around the sequence of events that would lead up to something like that.
    SASS, NRA, & USCCA Member.

Default Re: Primer Fragments Caused Stoppage

I've never had a primer blow and fragment in a handgun, not something that is common. I've had them blow on rifles though, but that is at 60k+ psi. If there is something in the flash hole or no flash hole the primer can back out but usually it stays in the primer pocket. It is not uncommon however to get brass shavings in the pistol from firing, semis tend to shave some brass. But these shavings are not very big or thick. I don't know if the MPs striker rides in all plastic like the Glocks do but oil or grease in the striker channel can hold brass and dirt thus causing malfunctions.

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    It is not uncommon however to get brass shavings in the pistol from firing, semis tend to shave some brass.
    I was going to say something very similar. Cowboy did you save any of the brass?
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Indiana County)

Didn't save any of the brass. We always pick it and leave it on the table for those who reload. I did know about not getting oil on the striker.

(Clearfield County)

I had it happen with a ruger p-95 shooting brown bear already, It kept shooting except you'd need a second primer strike for some of the rounds to go off. I thought the firing pin was bad.

(Lancaster County)

I bought some Fiocchi ammo a year or two ago. Some .380 and also some 9mm. Seemed to have very stiff primers, very hot and dirty. I did have a number of primer punctures. A friend's wife was carrying a new .380 and hated it. Felt it was too hot to handle. I happened to ask what ammo, and again they were using Fiocchi. From my experience, they bought some other brands and decided the gun was fine, the ammo was the problem. I stay away from that brand now.

If Fiocchi works for you, wonderful. I will buy something else.

(Delaware County)

I have 500 rounds of Fiocchi .380 that I haven't tried yet. I heard it was a little hot but I thought it was a decent brand. I guess I'll find out.

Fiocchi makes Perfecta ammo, which I've complained about extensively on here as being the only ammo I have jams with.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Beaver County)

I have used Fiocchi 9 mm, seemed normal to me.

(Bucks County)

Never had any issues with Fiocchi ammo, but I've never used any of their Perfecta line.