Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: What would you pay for membership?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • $250 Yearly Individual

5 20.83%
  • $350 Yearly Family

4 16.67%
  • $150 Yearly Mil/LEO Individual

1 4.17%
  • $250 Yearly Mil/LEO Family

1 4.17%
  • $2,500 Lifetime Individual

0 0%
  • $3,500 Lifetime Family

0 0%
  • $1,500 Lifetime Mil/LEO Individual

0 0%
  • $2,500 Lifetime Mil/LEO Family

0 0%
  • $30 Day Pass Individual

12 50.00%
  • $60 Day Pass (Max 4 People)

1 4.17%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1,000 Yard 50BMG Range... Gauging Interest... Anyone Like The Idea?

Mods, move if needed. Seemed like the best place to put this.

A buddy of mine came into 'some' money. He said he wants to buy land (500-1,000 acres) but doesn't know what to do with it. I'm trying to convince him to open an outdoor shooting range. Making it available as memberships and possibly public with staffed hours. No, the staff is not gonna be a bunch of d-bags like most indoor ranges. Anywho, he doesn't seem to think he'd make money off of it. So, I'm trying to get a couple polls going to show him the interest some people have.

The idea as of now:
    Dedicated 50BMG/338 Lapua and similar caliber 1,000 yard range. There will be targets at 600, 700, 800, 900 and 1,000. Nothing closer due to the round. Possibly extended to 1,200 yards.
    A 1,000 yard range. There will be targets at 25, 50, 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 800, 900 and 1,000. 50BMG will not be allowed on this range.
    NOTE: Both ranges would run side by side with the "ATV road" running up between them. These ranges will also have a 15-20 minute break every hour for shooters to change their targets or repaint their steel.
    Example: 12:00pm-12:40pm shooters can be firing on the range. But, at 12:40pm, a buzzer will sound for all shooters to cease fire, clear their weapon and all the other fun safety stuff. Chamber flags will be required.

A 30 yard wide by 120 yard long open training area. Could be used to setting up various stages for training with a carbine, shotgun or pistol. (This could also be the area for survival training as mentioned below)
    (6) 30 yard by 30 yard pistol bays. All side by side with walls between them. Can be used for IDPA, USPSA and other similar events.
    50 yard shotgun only range.
    Trap, skeet, sporting clays area.
    A man made fishing pond to hold annual fishing derbies for kids.

Could be a possibly to have an area for survival training to show people how to build emergency shelters, start fire, wilderness first aid, filter water (and find it), hunting/trapping skills, etc..

Obviously, there will be a main building. This could possibly be setup with range rentals, ammo, targets and other things if this range is open to the public and has a staff. And if an FFL was obtained.

What do you all think of this? Again, nothing is official. He IS going to buy land though. He's just unsure what to do with it. I'm trying to convince him to open an outdoor range instead of building houses.

How far would you be willing to travel to use this range?

Give me ALL of your thoughts... Help me convince my buddy.
    Last edited by iMoses14; June 23rd, 2017 at 01:16 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: 1,000 Yard 50BMG Range... Gauging Interest... Anyone Like The Idea?

What would the start up costs be for such a venture and how long would it take to recoup?

What part of the state? I'm sick and tired of shooting my 50 in the basement.

mmm. location, location, location. I'd love to work on my long distance shooting, and have a .50BMG I have yet to fire. I'd probably be a day-pass type person, and I would spend all day there.

If he were going to do this, I'd also figure out how to do target cameras.

I wouldn't pay any of those but I picked the $30 day pass because that's the only one I would consider. I already belong to a club with a 1000 yard range and it's $90 a year for my whole family. As other's have said location is key. I would think that you're most likely going to command those prices if you're within 1hr of a major urban area.
    Last edited by Marcus99; June 23rd, 2017 at 08:36 AM.

(York County)

Seems like there would be much better ways to invest the money. I would pay $250, but only if it was right down the road from me.

(Lackawanna County)

Pistol bays need to be bigger. As a match director you want the real estate. I'd also consider 10 bays. If you build it. And you put ina. Good show shooters will come. I hope your friend understands what kind of venture this would be. It's a lot of work to run things like that

(Lancaster County)

There aren't too many options for thousand yards in PA right? At least not in my corner of the state that I know of, pretty sure the longest within an hour stops at 600 and those are private clubs that I won't pay a yearly membership for at over $100 (not to mention the initiation fees some are charging) just to shoot to 600 2-3 times a year. That is why a day pass option would be most appealing, even if it is a drive I'd probably go out at least once/twice a year. My guess is a yearly membership won't interest most people unless it is within an hour, I know for me personally that is kind of my limit for going out on trips somewhere that doesn't involve planning a couple days in advance. Location is going to be huge.

Potential issues he will run into... pretty sure the DEP/EPA get involved once you start moving a certain amount of earth as part of projects but please someone correct me if I'm mistaken. If it has water ways on the property the project may need an professional engineer as part of the process if there is anything near it or involving it. Developing that much land from scratch I'd probably be looking to pay for some outside help to at least get it everything rolling and make sure it's done by the book. Terrain of the plot could also complicate planning and costs.
    Last edited by tacogewehr; June 23rd, 2017 at 06:23 PM.

(Wayne County)

love the idea,hoping it would be northeast pa

Land around Centralia should be cheap. I would take that drive.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast