Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: A couple of questions from someone traveling through Penn

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    Wow printed material LOL
    On my so called smart phone I have the following apps about Concealed Carry Laws:
    -Concealed Carry Laws
    -Legal Heat
    -USA Carry
    -USCCA's CCM
    Damn laws change too fast to rely on printed materials JMHO
    I am old :P
    I don't know what it's like for other people, but I absorb and reference information better when it's on paper.
    I do a lot of reading online, but I find it harder to mentally catalog the information.
    There is also something to be said for having a printed guide kept in the car for emergency reference if needed.
    That book has been updated for many years, and I think it is one of the best compact gun law guides around.
    But yeah, I suffer from an acute case of O.L.D.
    At least I can still remember my own name, and I can still get to the can on time :P
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Pete View Post
    I drive from Pennsylvania to Maine 2 to 3 times a year. I've probably done it 60 to 70 times in my life (my dad's family is from Maine.)

I would suggest avoiding Connecticut at all costs, no matter if it looks shorter on a map. There is basically one highway through that state (I-84.) If there is an accident, or construction, the entire state becomes a parking lot.

Consider taking I-84 into New York and then taking the Taconic parkway north to I-90. I-90 East then takes you to the Mass Turnpike, then 495 north around Boston and on to I-95 north and Maine. The Taconic is passenger cars and trucks only and it is a nice scenic ride up the Hudson valley. Just watch your speed, there are troopers all over it. The Mass Turnpike starts getting bad in the afternoon as traffic begins building from Boston in the east. If you can get through it before lunchtime, you should have smooth sailing.

As for transporting a gun to Maine, I've honestly never done it. I have read, and re-read NY, CT and MA gun laws, the supposed federal safe harbor regarding transport etc. There is just too much of a gray area to satisfy my appetite for risk and the penalties of getting caught in those states are brutal. I really would like to see a case where somebody was pulled over in one of those states, was charged with a gun crime and walked away based on the federal laws regarding interstate transportation. You also have to be certain that whatever you are transporting is legal in whatever jurisdiction you may be pulled over in- again, given the laws in those states regarding magazine size, types of guns allowed and not allowed, it can be very confusing.

Not trying to be a downer, just be careful. Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire are great states to visit, I just wish they were connected to Pennsylvania.
    Thanks for the advice on which roads to use Pete. Good local knowledge like that is useful to me.

It would be nice if states paid a price for violating ones rights. Here in Mich we have open carry. As silly as it sounds, one can walk down the street with a loaded AR strapped to their back and it is totally legal. Most police departments were unaware of the law and started arresting people for it. Now those arrests are costing cities money when they get sued. One of the richest cities in Mich (Birmingham) recently had to fork over 100K to a kid who tested the law. He was arrested and held for 2 days, then released.

(Lackawanna County)

If you like trains Scranton has Steamtown national historic site and a train museum.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    I used to go canoe camping in Maine a lot. Always had a great time. I find it really awful that we become criminals by crossing from one state to another. States like NY, NJ, CT, MA, etc all can go to HELL. Good luck with your trip!
    You forgot Maryland, the one state that screws you when traveling south from PA.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaineer1673 View Post
    some guy named Harry, God rest his soul, counted them.
    Daylight come and me wan' go home.
    Go sell crazy some where else, we're all stocked up here.

Political power grows from the muzzle of a gun.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123