Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Re: A couple of questions from someone traveling through Penn

I believe Ohio requires you inform police that you are armed if you are stopped. PA does not.

Do not stop at all in NY if you can avoid it. The law says you cannot transport a firearm at all without a NY carry license with the exception of going or coming home from a firing range, gunsmith or hunting with no stops (even gas or food) and it must be unloaded and locked in the trunk separate from the bullets (No glove box or center console). Federal transportation laws will apply if you are just passing through.

(Montgomery County)

http://www.innatturkeyhill.com/

Just off I80 at Bloomsburg. The chef in the restaurant was a finalist in Hells Kitchen. Excellent food but a bit pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post

Just off I80 at Bloomsburg. The chef in the restaurant was a finalist in Hells Kitchen. Excellent food but a bit pricey.
    Remington, according to my wife, yours might just be "post of the year" on the entire internet. We are both foodies and will give that place a look.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Coops View Post
    I believe Ohio requires you inform police that you are armed if you are stopped. PA does not.

Do not stop at all in NY if you can avoid it. The law says you cannot transport a firearm at all without a NY carry license with the exception of going or coming home from a firing range, gunsmith or hunting with no stops (even gas or food) and it must be unloaded and locked in the trunk separate from the bullets (No glove box or center console). Federal transportation laws will apply if you are just passing through.
    Weird, I replied to you Coops, but the post went away. I am used to travelling through Illinois who used to have the same horrible laws (its better now, because you can keep your gun on your person while in the car. Cant leave the car with it though)

Anyway, yes, no stops in Conn, Mass, or NY. No gas, food, nothing. Gun and ammo will both be in separate locked cases.

Thanks.

By the way, to whomever runs this forum. The feature at the bottom referring to "similar threads". Pretty cool feature.

(Chester County)

I used to go canoe camping in Maine a lot. Always had a great time. I find it really awful that we become criminals by crossing from one state to another. States like NY, NJ, CT, MA, etc all can go to HELL. Good luck with your trip!

(Montgomery County)

Buy the book, best $15 you will ever spend.
    http://www.nrastore.com/gifts/books-...ition-bk-01566
    Best to be well informed.
    Hope you have a safe trip.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    Buy the book, best $15 you will ever spend.
    http://www.nrastore.com/gifts/books-...ition-bk-01566
    Best to be well informed.
    Hope you have a safe trip.
    Wow printed material LOL
    On my so called smart phone I have the following apps about Concealed Carry Laws:
    -Concealed Carry Laws
    -Legal Heat
    -USA Carry
    -USCCA's CCM

Damn laws change too fast to rely on printed materials JMHO
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post

When I saw the link saying Inn at Turkey Hill, I pictured a whole different class of lodging...a room over a gas station/convenience store.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Allegheny County)

I drive from Pennsylvania to Maine 2 to 3 times a year. I've probably done it 60 to 70 times in my life (my dad's family is from Maine.)

I would suggest avoiding Connecticut at all costs, no matter if it looks shorter on a map. There is basically one highway through that state (I-84.) If there is an accident, or construction, the entire state becomes a parking lot.

Consider taking I-84 into New York and then taking the Taconic parkway north to I-90. I-90 East then takes you to the Mass Turnpike, then 495 north around Boston and on to I-95 north and Maine. The Taconic is passenger cars and trucks only and it is a nice scenic ride up the Hudson valley. Just watch your speed, there are troopers all over it. The Mass Turnpike starts getting bad in the afternoon as traffic begins building from Boston in the east. If you can get through it before lunchtime, you should have smooth sailing.

As for transporting a gun to Maine, I've honestly never done it. I have read, and re-read NY, CT and MA gun laws, the supposed federal safe harbor regarding transport etc. There is just too much of a gray area to satisfy my appetite for risk and the penalties of getting caught in those states are brutal. I really would like to see a case where somebody was pulled over in one of those states, was charged with a gun crime and walked away based on the federal laws regarding interstate transportation. You also have to be certain that whatever you are transporting is legal in whatever jurisdiction you may be pulled over in- again, given the laws in those states regarding magazine size, types of guns allowed and not allowed, it can be very confusing.

Not trying to be a downer, just be careful. Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire are great states to visit, I just wish they were connected to Pennsylvania.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast