Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Done with ArmsList

So I think I'll just stick to the Classifieds here and the usual closed groups on facebook for selling my firearms.

I had some firearms listed on ArmsList and the one sale went fine, a little below my asking but its a buyers market now so whatever.

The second attempted sale fell through with about 4 people, the one who completely stopped even emailing after I explained I prefer to see a current LTCF in addition to a PA DL and doing a bill of sale. He got upset that I wanted to see a LTCF and ended communication there.

So this leads to the recent possible sale I had today.

The guy offered and we haggled for price, and we agreed on a price and to meet.
    He asked for all of my info and serials to get the bill of sale ready, ok cool with me.
    I drive all the way to meet him and at the last second he changes the meet location to across the street, already has me in a suspicious mood now but figure, whatever thats fine, that parking lot is a lot less crowded.
    We shake hands and introduce, he shows me his PA LTCF and then I notice it... It is a PA LTCF but the address listed is for Delaware.
    So I ask if he is a resident of Delaware or Pennsylvania? Well turns out he's from Delaware.
    Keeps insisting a Face to Face sale is fine for long arms as his FFL told him that.
    I am VERY aware of the law and try to be nice and tell him we can go inside the store and do a transfer through their FFL but otherwise I cant sell to him as he is not a current Pennsylvania resident, and his drivers license is not for Pennsylvania.

SO I guess I should have noticed the red flags leading up to this, him offering to start the bill of sale, changing meeting place at last second, Showing me a PA LTCF instead of his drivers license, but even then the bill of sale had the Delaware address and my Pennsylvania address, and if I signed that and took money, well that would be a bad day I never want to have. I just assumed since he saw it was a listing for Pennsylvania he would have been from pennsylvania, but I feel it was an attempt to be sneaky anyway.

So in sort, I am done with armslist and ill stick to PAFOA and Facebook.

(Edit, realised I didnt state this: No I didnt sell, we parted ways and he kept texting me for a bit)
    <-Click For My Youtube [Don't waive your rights with your flags. -Sage Francis]

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Done with ArmsList

He may have been a cop. Glad you know the law, would hate to see one of our own get jammed up over a stupid imaginary line.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    He may have been a cop. Glad you know the law, would hate to see one of our own get jammed up over a stupid imaginary line.
    I thought along the same lines but it just didnt sit right with me after that, I have my dashcam, and took a picture of the bill of sale to cover my ass.

(Montgomery County)

I am a retired LEO, and I also think it sounds like a setup.
    You did good not getting sucked in.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Wayne County)

I don't do face to face at all. It's either me shipping to FFL or I'm looking for another buyer. Better be safe.

(Allegheny County)

I don't do any FFL at all. (long guns) It's either me buying FTF or I'm looking for another seller. Better to say "fuck you" to the govt.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Indiana County)

I doubt it was a setup by the police, it was simply an ignorant buyer like the dozens I've encountered in the past, most recently last week when a member here from Ohio wanted to meet halfway to buy a Mauser from me.

I informed him that no, he couldn't do a FTF outside of his state unless he had an ffl/C&R or we did a dealer transfer.
    I told him I'd ship to his FFL for $10.
    No response...

I've gotten multiple responses over the last year alone from here and Pennswoods from people in NY, MD and OH wanting to meet to do a FTF.

This is why asking to see a DL or LCTF is a must IMO when selling to someone you don't know.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    I am a retired LEO, and I also think it sounds like a setup.
    You did good not getting sucked in.
    Quote Originally Posted by BB MBD View Post
    I don't do face to face at all. It's either me shipping to FFL or I'm looking for another buyer. Better be safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    I doubt it was a setup by the police, it was simply an ignorant buyer like the dozens I've encountered in the past, most recently last week when a member here from Ohio wanted to meet halfway to buy a Mauser from me.

Yeah I found his facebook later and it seems to me that he was just ignorant of the law.
    I attempted to educate but he was apparently told by his ffl he uses that it would be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I don't do any FFL at all. (long guns) It's either me buying FTF or I'm looking for another seller. Better to say "fuck you" to the govt.

Face 2 Face sales are legal so I do those as much as possible with a Bill of Sale as a CYA Document.

(Allegheny County)

Just be smart and diligent and all should go as planned. Having the buyer email you a copy of his DL (LTCF) ahead of time is a good practice to confirm his status and to ID him. I always talk to the buyer/seller on the phone before I put to much time into the deal.
    Toujours prêt

(Bucks County)

I will be using these pamphlets in the future as citation when required or requested:

ATF Best Practices: Transfers of Firearms by Private Sellers
    https://www.atf.gov/file/58681/download

Quote Originally Posted by https://www.atf.gov/file/58681/download
    An Unlicensed individual is prohibited from directly transferring a firearm to a person residing in another State.

Regardless of the purpose of the transfer (e.g. gift, trade, loan, sale, ownership, etc.), this restriction applies to all types of firearms.

If you decide not to utilize the services of an FFL, examine the purchaser's identification document to confirm that the person is a resident of your State.
    I wish I could find an actual statute but I can only seem to find this pamphlet by ATF.

Anyone else have any documentation or citation?
    Last edited by NuclearSociety; June 23rd, 2017 at 12:57 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast