Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (York County)

Default OC Reasonableness...?

I bought a car from a guy a couple days ago.

When I arrived, he was OC. Left appendix carry. Nice little 380.

No problem. In fact, I walked up, asked him what he carried and he showed me. I revealed my CC H&K and we had a grand old time talking guns.

Liked the car, liked the price, agreed to proceed to the nearby PennDot location to complete the deal.

On the way there, my brother (who had come along as 2nd pair of eyes, 2nd driver) said "You think they're gonna flip out if he OC's at PennDot?"...

When we arrived, the shirt had become untucked and the OC had turned to CC. Completed our business without incident.

On the drive home I wondered. Was that a reasonable change to make to avoid any issue? Or was it an unfortunate reality that he gave up his OC to avoid having to get into any issue?

Still not sure of the answer. Thought I'd share.

KC
    DGAF

(Erie County)

Default Re: OC Reasonableness...?

I think that I saw a thread that indicated PennDot was against carry of any kind in their buildings. So i would hazard a guess that he covered up to avoid any hassles

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by chp1911 View Post
    I think that I saw a thread that indicated PennDot was against carry of any kind in their buildings. So i would hazard a guess that he covered up to avoid any hassles
    No doubt he was definitely in 'discretion is the better part of valor' mode. And as a guy who just wanted to get a title transferred, I appreciated that. Truth, I'd probably have done the same.

I guess my discomfort here is 'should he have -had- to do that?'...
    DGAF

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    No doubt he was definitely in 'discretion is the better part of valor' mode.
    This thread will get legs, although this post is the key.

Wisdom comes with age and that's why us older guys have less stress and grief than the youngsters.

(Bucks County)

For sake of argument let's assume PennDot is not within their rights to deny you service or throw you out for OCing. (I don't think they can)

It's sometimes just easier to cover up, like when you are trying to close a deal, and untucking your shirt solves the issue, and allows the deal for thousands of dollars to go through without issue. Pick another time to make a point.

The bigger issue is who OCs a 380? If your going to OC, get a real caliber. Save the .380 for pocket carry or deep cover.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by McSull View Post
    The bigger issue is who OCs a 380? If your going to OC, get a real caliber. Save the .380 for pocket carry or deep cover.
    Something that starts with a 4. Followed by something other than 0. i.e. .44 .45 .454 .460 .475 ...

Just sayin'...

(Butler County)

When one or two libs in a crowd decides to make a stink, the distraction or momentary "stop-work" can hold everyone up. And the residual libs in the room will probably blame you for that even if they weren't the ones who initially called attention to the "man with gun".

There was another thread earlier today where an OC'r at Walmart carelessly put her weapon down on the counter while she was fishing for her wallet or something like that. And although I'm sure most open carriers wouldn't do that her behavior was still somehow connected to it. The way I see it, unless youre on the trail or wearing a sidearm is part of your job, it's really best to wear Firearms closer to the vest in an urban environment. I was fairly relaxed around people who open carry even when I was a kid, before I ever owned my own gun, and nobody in my family except for one or two was really into guns at all. I think the government shouldnt have too much to say about it. And other people have a right not to carry if that's what they feel. But one thing is certain you are simply not going to educate or change all the people in the world and convert them to being pro-gun or being comfortable around guns. I think people who are chickenshit of guns are thr main problem, but people who like to wave guns under their noses by open carrying are also contributing to a disturbance in some cases. Sometimes common sense is above the law. If you want to challenge the status quo of your state to make it a little more like Texas, you may be able to do so without breaking any laws but they're also maybe a price to pay in the form of inviting uneccessary trouble.
    Is it worth it? I guees maybe in some cases it is.... and in some its not.

(Tioga County)

PENNDOT offices have "no gun" decals on the doors. Cover it up, take care of business and leave. What they don't know won't hurt them.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    No doubt he was definitely in 'discretion is the better part of valor' mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    This thread will get legs, although this post is the key.

Wisdom comes with age and that's why us older guys have less stress and grief than the youngsters.
    Quote Originally Posted by McSull View Post
    Pick another time to make a point.
    Seems like here's an echo in here...

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by priell3 View Post
    PENNDOT offices have "no gun" decals on the doors. Cover it up, take care of business and leave. What they don't know won't hurt them.
    This is how i usually deal with it most places too, unless its a Post Office or school, fed building, Army Eng Corp property, etc. I won't fuck with that unless I felt my life was truly in danger.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast