Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Should I keep the .45 or go with a Beretta?

I have a Colt Defender 45 as my 'small' carry gun. So far it's been reliable; no FTE or FTF. I only have about 70 rounds through it. I've had 2 brass to face ejections, and about 3 brass hit my right ear muff. The rest seemed to be fine ejection pattern. I could tweak with the extractor.

I'm thinking about trading this Defender for a more historically reliable platform: A Beretta 85fs (cheetah). They are roughly the same size and weight. The Beretta is .380 auto. The main reason I'm considering the Beretta is long term reliability.

3'' 1911's seem to work these days, especially the Defender model. But, this platform just doesn't have the historical record of 100 percent long term reliability of the Beretta Cheetah models. Even if this Defender proves reliable, I might always have in the back of my head the feeling that it might suddenly stop working. With the Beretta Cheetah models, we know that they work and keep working pretty much forever with much less maintenance than a 3'' 1911.

Should I keep the Defender Or, trade it toward a new Beretta Cheetah? (I'm only asking between these two pistols).

thanks

(Chester County)

Default Re: Should I keep the .45 or go with a Beretta?

I had a 85FS. I think it is the best .380 made. Accurate, reliable, and a good looking gun. The only reason I sold it was to put the money into a project. However, they have become expensive, but worth it if that is what you want to carry.

If the Colt is reliable, why sell it?

(Bucks County)

If your decisions are guided by what others think, may I suggest you set up a poll?

Keep the 45 train with the beretta

(Elk County)

Keep the .45, especially if you can HIT with it.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Allegheny County)

I suggest you put 300-500 rounds down the barrel before you rely on any handgun for SD.
    Toujours prêt

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Keep the .45, especially if you can HIT with it.

Noah
    thanks. I hit very well with the Defender at 10 yards.

(Bucks County)

You've talked to yourself about what you see as the possible "pro" for the Beretta, but you haven't put down the list of "cons" for it and the caliber.

Is it possible you're looking for a reason to buy another handgun lol ? If so . . . been there, done that . . . you have our permission .

If you are accurate with the 45, shoot it more. I know, I know . . . these little guns are not so fun to shoot at the range. If you think the Beretta will be more fun, it's possible but unlikely you will find it so much more fun that you will have incentive to actually use it. If this is actually the case rather than my weak attempt at humor, get a full-sized handgun for the range instead. Possibly a 1911 if you keep the 45.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboxer View Post
    You've talked to yourself about what you see as the possible "pro" for the Beretta, but you haven't put down the list of "cons" for it and the caliber.

Is it possible you're looking for a reason to buy another handgun lol ? If so . . . been there, done that . . . you have our permission .

If you are accurate with the 45, shoot it more. I know, I know . . . these little guns are not so fun to shoot at the range. If you think the Beretta will be more fun, it's possible but unlikely you will find it so much more fun that you will have incentive to actually use it. If this is actually the case rather than my weak attempt at humor, get a full-sized handgun for the range instead. Possibly a 1911 if you keep the 45.
    thanks for the advice. The obvious con of the beretta is the marginal 380 round.

I have a full size 1911 (Ithaca new custom gun), and a Ruger P90 .45, both of which are fun at the range for .45. The Colt Defender is jumpy, but it is pretty easy to shoot. The thing that worries me is the razor's edge that it operates on---it's a real balancing act to keep it functioning.

I suppose this really comes down to: A small .45 that is generally reliable, but *might* conk out at any time, vs a similar sized .380 that really has a history of 'revolver like' reliability.

(Lancaster County)

I think it depends, can you carry the Beretta in condition 0?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast