Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Wyoming County)

Default Review- Rock Island 1911A1 Tac 2011 10mm

By request, I'll do my best

*Disclaimer: I'm a newb 1911 owner. Mostly experienced with .40S&W Glocks
    Ammo count so far- 1 box of 50 180fmj (Armscor)

So I felt I better have a 10mm & maybe a 1911 (just because). Based on my price range I was narrowed down to the Glock 20 & the Rock Island assortments.

I wanted something a little different so the 1911 it was too be. I struggled between the traditional looking "Rock series" which as far as I can tell is almost identical to this "Tac Ultra" version except it doesn't have the picatinny rail, BUT it does appear to have a crowned barrel, which the tac does not. I wish I could have held both but moving on....

link to version I didn't get:http://armscor.com/firearms/rock-ser...ultra-fs-10mm/

The research I put into this purchase included reading forums and whatever YouTube reviews I could find. Sootch00 has a pretty good review on the traditional Rock version in 10mm and a couple of the mid size in .45acp. link:https://youtu.be/tqVo0wfi8Q8

The biggest complaint I kept coming across was about the 1 issued magazine. Seems to me that it is made by Mec-Gar. Anyway reports were that it would have feeding issues, drop free un-intentionally, & sometimes fail to hold open on last round. Most reviewers indicated that they purchased either a 9 round Wilson Combat, or Chip McCormick mag to eliminate problems, and have been happy thereafter. The next biggest complaint ironically was feeding issues with ammo from Armscor who makes the gun, so that was one thing I wanted to check by feeding it the same stuff.

Another thing I read about was checking the extractor. I don't remember if that was specific to this firearm or a recommendation for most 1911's. In any event I disassembled the gun, took a live cartridge and as instructed, stuck it behind the extractor and up against the breech face, and then shook it. The cartridge stayed snug & I guess that is a good sign.

I also learned that this 1911 has a ramped barrel, which surprised me, & seems a little more feed friendly(idk?).

The Grips I guess are pretty well regarded- VZ G-10......they are pretty aggressive, but through 50 rounds, no complaints from me. I've seen someone else exchange them for something similar in a "burnt orange" color which I thought looked pretty sharp. The finish on this, I guess is parkerized? Definitely not a shiny gun.

One more thing about features. It has adjustable rear Novak sight, and a orange fiber optic front. Sights seem dead on to me at this point.

With it being 10mm I figured I better treat it like a magnum in regards to instructions pertaining to my steel targets. So I started shooting at 25 yards. For a guy that is used to shooting .40's out of Glock 27 at 10 yards, this was quite different. I mean the damn thing weighs 2.87lbs loaded. There was no snapping like with the Glock 27. I'm not an educated man when it comes to describing triggers but if I can get my terminology correct- Very short take up to wall, quick break and quick reset. I believe they list it ~5lbs+/-. I'm used to Glocks & not much else, this was pleasing to me.

So 25 yards got kind of boring, started shooting at a different target which I paced off at ~40 yards My best guess is that I fired around 15 at that distance and connected with 13 to finish my box of 50.

All 50 rounds fed, fired & ejected properly. Ejection was usually strong with a 4-5 o'clock direction of about 20 feet. A couple threw at 3 o'clock and didn't go much more than 5-6 feet.

It did leave these brass transfers on the slide. I don't know if that's normal?

Flared magwell

No crown in this barrel.

Ramped barrel

All in all I'm very pleased. I've already ordered a Wilson Combat 9 round mag for it.

The Armscor 180gn ball was ~$22/box of 50 & I grabbed a box of Sig Sauer too for around $25/box. So not too cheap to shoot. Luckily I already reload .40s&w and the same dies will work. Only difference is I had to buy some large pistol primers.
    Last edited by ExFlyinguy; June 21st, 2017 at 08:58 AM.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Review- Rock Island 1911A1 Tac 2011 10mm

Good review, a 10mm 1911 has been on my future purchase list.

Wilson Combat mags are great, I use them in all my 1911's. Don't be surprised if you can't close the slide on an empty magazine, they are that tight in terms of tolerances.

(Lancaster County)

Great review thanks for taking the time to put it up. I hope the person who made the request is sending you PMs since there there are not many replies.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Allegheny County)

That come in 12mm?

Nice. Clean and simple.
    Never shot a 10mm before.

Are they more or less harsh than .40S&W?
    I had a G27 and it hurted my girly wrists so I solded it.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    Great review thanks for taking the time to put it up. I hope the person who made the request is sending you PMs since there there are not many replies.
    I hit his rep earlier today, I was in a hurry.

(Lycoming County)

Thanks for the good review. Seems like a pretty solid gun. I'm actually suprised the mecgar mags were problematic, I've used them before in other platforms and they worked flawlessly. With the ruger coming out, I'm on the fence. I might go with this or the ruger this year.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    That come in 12mm?

Nice. Clean and simple.

10, 12 whatever it takes.

(Wyoming County)

LOL, I missed every reply to this thread after the first....MY bad

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    Yep RL took care of me

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    That come in 12mm?

Nice. Clean and simple.

Actually I think it shoots a little softer than my 27, using the Armscor 180gn fmj's - but, Im starting to get a sense of what I read about most 10mm factory being loaded about the same as .40SW

Today I rolled 5 of my own test loads of using Hornady 155gn and they chronographed at 1350fps. I detected a little bit more bark from these than I did the factory stuff. All 5 functioned well though.

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Thanks for the good review. Seems like a pretty solid gun. I'm actually suprised the mecgar mags were problematic, I've used them before in other platforms and they worked flawlessly. With the ruger coming out, I'm on the fence. I might go with this or the ruger this year.
    So far the included mag is functioning fine for me. Shamefully I haven't taken the time to even look it over closely to verify it's manufacturer. My comments were repeats from other reviews that I read including Sootch00.

I'm not a registered user on "1911 forums" but I've been reading some stuff there where guys are swapping out factory recoil springs, main springs and firing pin stop in order to handle more stout loads. (sorry I just couldn't bring myself to say "hotter loads").

Does anybody concur with these procedures or should I stick with the- "if it aint broke don't fix it"?

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    LOL, I missed every reply to this thread after the first....MY bad

Yep RL took care of me

Actually I think it shoots a little softer than my 27, using the Armscor 180gn fmj's - but, Im starting to get a sense of what I read about most 10mm factory being loaded about the same as .40SW

Today I rolled 5 of my own test loads of using Hornady 155gn and they chronographed at 1350fps. I detected a little bit more bark from these than I did the factory stuff. All 5 functioned well though.

So far the included mag is functioning fine for me. Shamefully I haven't taken the time to even look it over closely to verify it's manufacturer. My comments were repeats from other reviews that I read including Sootch00.

I'm not a registered user on "1911 forums" but I've been reading some stuff there where guys are swapping out factory recoil springs, main springs and firing pin stop in order to handle more stout loads. (sorry I just couldn't bring myself to say "hotter loads").

Does anybody concur with these procedures or should I stick with the- "if it aint broke don't fix it"?
    Recoil spring might not be a bad idea at least, especially if you're going to put a ton of hot loads through it. (That right I said it, do your worst pafoa)

How's the ejection with what you've been shooting? That might tell you how much the factory spring can handle.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Recoil spring might not be a bad idea at least, especially if you're going to put a ton of hot loads through it. (That right I said it, do your worst pafoa)

How's the ejection with what you've been shooting? That might tell you how much the factory spring can handle.
    Most of the ejection(not all) was high to the 4-5 o'clock direction. As I am reading on 1911 forums that 10mm brass going into low orbit is not uncommon.
    link:https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=505137

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast