Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Wayne County)

Default Just purchased a cabin in Wayne County

Greetings! I just purchased a cabin in Wayne County and currently posses a conditional (target/hunting) Nassau County, NY pistol permit. My understanding is this is only conditional in Nassau/Suffolk counties as well as NYC; outside of that (upstate NY) this qualifies as a non-conditional concealed carry (correct?). I know PA no longer has reciprocity with NY, but in having a residence in PA, getting a resident carry shouldn't be a big to do, right? Thanks!

Default Re: Just purchased a cabin in Wayne County

Here we go again.

First I'm only aware of restricted and non restricted NY pistol permits, typically a restricted permit does not afford you a non resident LTCF (in case you were considering)
    Second Pa never had reciprocity with NY
    Third you need to be a resident to obtain a resident LTCF. That means providing a utility bill, tax record or something similar to obtain a PA DL, which ultimately will involve PA plates, registration, Title, and liability insurance. Which means you WILL be a Pa resident, and no longer a NYS resident. Whether NYS allows dual residency IDK.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Here we go again.

First I'm only aware of restricted and non restricted NY pistol permits, typically a restricted permit does not afford you a non resident LTCF (in case you were considering)
    Second Pa never had reciprocity with NY
    Third you need to be a resident to obtain a resident LTCF. That means providing a utility bill, tax record or something similar to obtain a PA DL, which ultimately will involve PA plates, registration, Title, and liability insurance. Which means you WILL be a Pa resident, and no longer a NYS resident. Whether NYS allows dual residency IDK.

You are correct; the term i should have used was restricted for the NY pistol permit. So I do not plan on converting over plates, registration, etc... but you stated a restricted permit does not afford you a non resident LTCF. The restriction is only made by Nassau County; I can legally carry anywhere else in NY (upstate) so wouldn't this be considered a full carry in PA's eyes?

(Wayne County)

Just found this nugget on a different forum through google :

1 - "..15-30 mins in and out. Lancaster, Centre County and Scranton are the top places to go.
    2 - NYS is considered a full CCW, we just have administrative restrictions but for all intents and purposes it is CCW to them.

(Bucks County)

It don't think that will fly; A lot of counties won't issue a non-res LTCF because, either they believe it is not legal -or- they just don't want to hassle with out of state individuals.

As far as a resident issue, I remember a former co-worker from NJ who had a summer home/deer camp who used to purchase a resident PA hunting license [in the early 70's] and when he was checked, in addition to the items mentioned above by God's Country, was cited because he was registered to vote in NJ...

All the counties remotely close to NJ have seen it all/heard it all. Any sort of restriction on your NY permit will, most likely, confuse them too.

I think Bucks is the only county on the boarder with NJ that will issue a non-resident LTCF. I had to wait an extra tem minutes for mine as they had a few questions for the guy ahead of me with a green card though he did get his LTCF.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by wis bang View Post
    It don't think that will fly; A lot of counties won't issue a non-res LTCF because, either they believe it is not legal -or- they just don't want to hassle with out of state individuals.

As far as a resident issue, I remember a former co-worker from NJ who had a summer home/deer camp who used to purchase a resident PA hunting license [in the early 70's] and when he was checked, in addition to the items mentioned above by God's Country, was cited because he was registered to vote in NJ...

All the counties remotely close to NJ have seen it all/heard it all. Any sort of restriction on your NY permit will, most likely, confuse them too.

I think Bucks is the only county on the boarder with NJ that will issue a non-resident LTCF. I had to wait an extra tem minutes for mine as they had a few questions for the guy ahead of me with a green card though he did get his LTCF.
    I would agree for Lancaster, but Scranton is no where near the NJ border. I plan on going back up in a couple weeks and will swing by the Wayne County sheriffs office and see what they have to say. Thanks for the replies though.

Just a question,But when did NY Nassau/Suffolk and other Countys withdraw your ability to hold another CCW other than N Y ? When we Moved from Suffolk I was required to hand back my CCW ! But when I resided in N Y I could not hold a CCW in any other state ?

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    Just a question,But when did NY Nassau/Suffolk and other Countys withdraw your ability to hold another CCW other than N Y ? When we Moved from Suffolk I was required to hand back my CCW ! But when I resided in N Y I could not hold a CCW in any other state ?
    I am not aware of that, but also I am not changing residency - this is just a cabin in the woods I will be spending a couple weeks in every couple months.

I am unaware of NYS making exceptions for restricted carry in other parts of the state. If your permit states it is for target practice, etc. you are not eligible for a non resident LTCF. You need an unrestricted permit and then shop around for a sheriff that will issue.

(Pike County)

You need to stop talking yourself into something you don't have. Your Nassau permit is for target/hunting "only" period.
    You cannot carry concealed upstate NY because your permit is RESTRICTED, end of story.

As far as PA is concerned to my knowledge any Sheriff will not issue Non Resident LTCF to NY'er with a Restricted permit from NY.

You really need to study NY laws before crossing the Throgs Neck Bridge.