Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Mossberg MVP Patrol 5.56

Ruger makes a simular rifle. You could try CDI International they might make bottom metal for the mvp. Have you looked at the Ruger Ranch rifle . I know it's semiauto, not sure if u wanted semi or not

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by FJW View Post
    I always found the FR8 very appealing, but the scary stories and warnings about not EVER being able to put full-house 308 through it is very disappointing. My Ishapore was chambered for 7.62 in the factory and I know many people do actually shoot 308's through theirs with nary a problem. Ever. I made the mistake(?) of buying some cheap steel-cased 308 for it, but that would probably be crossing the line. Never tried that stuff and probably wont.
    That's the FR-7 you have to worry about. The FR-8 is a 98 Mauser action that can handle some pretty stout loads.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by borekfk View Post
    That's the FR-7 you have to worry about. The FR-8 is a 98 Mauser action that can handle some pretty stout loads.
    I see. I re-combed other message threads for more info and so it is/they are.
    Back on topic, I also spent some time this afternoon researching scout type rifles (incl MVP) and the Savage just really grabbed me. I like the Ruger some, but of all the rifles mentioned in this thread the Savage is really impressive for a $600 rifle. I immediately started looking to see what might be available for layaway. The 308 would be my choice though.

(Lehigh County)

So the rifle came in last night. Went for the Patrol 5.56.
    First impressions.. bolt does have wobble when open but locks up nice and tight. Both Aluminum and PMAGS lock up in the rifle without issue. Stock is very light weight and will be replaced.
    Overall very light gun and trigger seems to break pretty even when using snap caps.

Need to order the scope first and see how she does on paper next. I am not gonna bother with the irons..

(Philadelphia County)

I zero rifles for customers quite frequently with irons, red dots, and scopes. After shooting five MVPs, I was surprised at the accuracy it delivered compared to ARs and other types. I'd like to see what it does at 200-500 yards. Don't count this one out. I'm sure someone, hopefully Mossberg, will be able to turn it into a respectable shooter.
    Those who dare.

(Bedford County)

Watching this...I really like this and the Howa 1500

(Lehigh County)

My optic choice just came in.. picked up a Leupold AR Mod 1 3x9 firedot.. going to use the leupold mount system and see how it works..

(Lehigh County)

I have had ZERO time as of late to work on this..
    I am hoping to have this out this weekend as I need sight in the scope and see how it shoots.

I also purchased parts from tromix to replace the magwell and the trigger guard. Debating on whether or not to keep the original stock or go with a Boyd's.. If I go with a Boyd's it's gonna be a loud stock.. :P

(Lehigh County)

The Leupold with their factory mount works well on this rifle.. the LP mount was designed for the AR but works well on the MVP.. I was worried it would sit too high but you still get a good cheek weld even still using the factory stock. I also have the tromix trigger guard and magwell installed basically swapped plastic for aluminum. After swapping the magwell there is no mag wobble with 30 rd magazines, I did not notice an issue with 10 or 20 rd with the factory magwell but did notice some play on the 30's. This is probably my only issue with this gun.. however the tromix magwell resolved that issue.

I'll try and get a range report when I get a chance.

Rob

(Lehigh County)

So first time out and kinda meh, I was shooting 55 grain M193 Prvi and after bore sighting the groups were not that impressive. The twist rate is 1:9 so it is very much a possibility that this rifle just does not like 55gr 5.56. I am going to try and get some 62gr or higher and see if she tightens up. I will also go over the mount again just to be sure everything is secure.

As for the shooting experience.. its very smooth.. with 5.56 there is negligible felt recoil. The trigger is consistent.. could probably use some break in and the bolt locked up and cycled no problems.

In summary I need to experiment with heavier grain 5.56 and see if that improves.

Some pictures of my setup.. and an example of the last group I shot off my sight in rest (not a cold barrel).

Optimized-20170813_135704.jpg
    Optimized-20170813_134541.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12