Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Mossberg MVP Patrol 5.56

So eyeing up this rifle for giggles and sh*ts. Anyone have any range time behind one? Probably looking at replacing the crappy mossberg stock with a Boyds, and putting halfway decent glass on this.
    All the reading I've done says these are pretty good rifles with the occasional loose/wobbly bolt?

Any feedback from those that own or shot one?

(Washington County)

Default Re: Mossberg MVP Patrol 5.56

I own one. I love the idea and set up of it that I have... great rifle when it works. Bolt is wobbly. Magazines don't seat good. I've pulled the trigger before and the recoil wiggled the mag out. Sometimes the mag will just random fall out. The bolt doesn't always catch a round. Sometimes gets caught up and you have to pull back and re rack to try and chamber again.

But it's accurate and the trigger is great.

IMHO not worth it.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Smilez226 View Post
    I own one. I love the idea and set up of it that I have... great rifle when it works. Bolt is wobbly. Magazines don't seat good. I've pulled the trigger before and the recoil wiggled the mag out. Sometimes the mag will just random fall out. The bolt doesn't always catch a round. Sometimes gets caught up and you have to pull back and re rack to try and chamber again.

But it's accurate and the trigger is great.

IMHO not worth it.
    Sadly, I came to the same conclusion. Maybe someday I'll get a Howa 1500 in. 308 and put a 10rd mag in it. Better rifle all around.... but not sure if they make a 5.56/.223.
    Last edited by FJW; June 19th, 2017 at 08:55 PM.

(Bucks County)

CZ 527 in .223 with detachable mag. Comes with varmint barrel also. Can be had on Gunbroker for around $500.

(Allegheny County)

Since we're talking alternatives...

No loose magazine.
    Bigger holes.

Surplus Spanish FR8 7.62x51 NATO
    (Converted Mauser bolt action)

I love the idea of the MVP with it's removable magazines, but I'm content with this puppy.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Since we're talking alternatives...

No loose magazine.
    Bigger holes.

Surplus Spanish FR8 7.62x51 NATO
    (Converted Mauser bolt action)

I love the idea of the MVP with it's removable magazines, but I'm content with this puppy.
    I always found the FR8 very appealing, but the scary stories and warnings about not EVER being able to put full-house 308 through it is very disappointing. My Ishapore was chambered for 7.62 in the factory and I know many people do actually shoot 308's through theirs with nary a problem. Ever. I made the mistake(?) of buying some cheap steel-cased 308 for it, but that would probably be crossing the line. Never tried that stuff and probably wont.
    Last edited by FJW; June 19th, 2017 at 09:30 PM.

I have one. The plastic mags do not work, metal mags do. After several hundred rounds all my issues with the bolt have disappeared. It shots where I aim out to 200yds. I have not shot it at a longer distance. The public range that goes to to 300yds is full of Illinois aholes.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz2720 View Post
    I have one. The plastic mags do not work, metal mags do. After several hundred rounds all my issues with the bolt have disappeared. It shots where I aim out to 200yds. I have not shot it at a longer distance. The public range that goes to to 300yds is full of Illinois aholes.
    Interesting..
    I put one of these on order so now I wait for it to arrive.
    I plan on replacing the stock with a Boyd's stock, a leupold AR Mod 1, and eventually replacing the A2 flash hider with a comp or something similar.

(Butler County)

I've been in the market for this type of rifle for a long time. It seems very hard to actually find one (make and model) which isn't simply out of budget or tragically flawed somehow. And when I say tragically flawed I mean that subjectively.

I want something that fills the shoes of a robust scout rifle which takes at least 10rds in a magazine. Many of the old military rifles don't have that capacity. My enfield does, but it's a little heavy and clunky, and doesn't aquire that quickly. I also look Gunsite Scout sometimes. I don't like the forward mounts though and mags are expensive. As I wrote before I also wrote off FR8 because .308 hunting rounds through it would be very iffy. I've also thought of maybe a shorter carbine version of my Ishapore but some guys say the recoil is a bit much for fast re-aquisition.

Savage has their M11 308 hog Hunter which takes a 10 Rd fixed mag. Also has iron sights. These I'm looking at kind of seriously. How awesome would it be if it took stripper clips??

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by McSull View Post
    CZ 527 in .223 with detachable mag. Comes with varmint barrel also. Can be had on Gunbroker for around $500.
    beat me to the punch lol...those cz's are supposed to be slick as hell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast