Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    (Warren County)

Default Re: How do you carry your 1911???

Quote Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
    And you're rather insulting, to say the least. Tell it to the worry beads or John Moses Browning yourself, he designed the damned gun without a manual thumb safety. I'm quite sure I've got more time on 1911's than you have, actually working the streets carrying 1911's in condition 0, and I see you only attack me and not the guy that designed the gun as irresponsible who didn't make use of a manual safety in his design..

Historical record of the genius behind the design/gun, in direct conflict with your opinion, must be very hard to swallow. And we note that those who resort to name calling and subterfuge in lieu of meaningful discussion of historical facts are usually losing the debate, arguing from a position of weakness. Keep the name calling to a minimum lest you violate one of the forum rules. I've not attacked your credibility to have an opinion, even as it's an uneducated opinion at best.

If your last reply is the best you can muster to support your position, you've already lost. I supported the idea of condition 0 being viable by facts in evidence of it's original design, while all you seem to be able muster supporting your position is an uneducated opinion.

Now I understand more clearly your wearing a tutu, you're the ballerina, dancing around the facts and using personal attacks on another characters instead of discussing the merits for or against them intelligently.
    The butthurt is strong with this one....

I use the thumb safety , me.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    Meh.
    My opinion is what it is.

Openly advocating the deliberate disregard of a factory installed, manually applied safety device strikes me as irresponsible.
    Especially since there are lots of young folks out there who may be swayed by your resume.

Sorry you don't care for my opinion.
    Enjoy your impending retirement.
    I suppose the OSS and two ranger companies who pinned their grip safeties in ww2, thereby disabling them, were also irresponsible. Highly trained individuals are not concerned with the novice and how they choose to carry. Pinning the grip safety was common in the 60's as well.

Not to mention how many people deactivate the mag drop safety on P35's to improve their triggers.

You have your opinions, but they're uneducated and unsupported by historical record. As to the resume, the carrying of a 1911 isn't the resume, by a long shot. As for young folks who may be swayed, that's no concern of mine. I'm not their babysitter. I haven't advocated anyone carry condition 0, only that I've carried that way for decades, thus the idea some young member may be swayed, that decision is solely there's to make and NOT based on my advancing the idea people should carry theirs in the same manner.
    Last edited by Brownie; June 20th, 2017 at 10:01 PM.
    The mind is the limiting factor https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Isn't it possible that JMB actually made a mistake in not adding a manual safety?
    John Browning didn't make mistakes in his designs, the 1911's still being made basically the same way since it's adoption by the military. We're actually going to entertain the idea that genius of gun designs made a mistake in the design of the 1911.

Anything is possible, of course.

(Lancaster County)

John Browning didn't make mistakes in his designs, the 1911's still being made basically the same way since it's adoption by the military. We're actually going to entertain the idea that genius of gun designs made a mistake in the design of the 1911.

Believe it or not, he was human, and humans make mistakes.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Believe it or not, he was human, and humans make mistakes.
    Agreed, that's why I stated "anything is possible"

(Lehigh County)

That would be with the safety that the military required?

I am a cocked and locked person, (we are number one), but you may do as you have been trained and regularly practice. It is still a mostly free country.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    That would be with the safety that the military required?

I am a cocked and locked person, (we are number one), but you may do as you have been trained and regularly practice. It is still a mostly free country.
    Correct sir.

(Bucks County)

Pinning grip safeties and deactivating magazine safeties is just as irresponsible as carrying a 1911 with a chambered round and the thumb lock disengaged.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Armstrong County)

Pinning grip safeties and deactivating magazine safeties is just as irresponsible as carrying a 1911 with a chambered round and the thumb lock disengaged.
    what if my 1911 says "G-L-O-C-K" on the slide?

In your opinion, of course.

http://www.guns.com/2015/09/02/fitz-...ver-benchmark/

these super rare wheel guns were owned and carried by some of the biggest legends of the time. Colonels Charles “Boots” Askins and Rex Applegate, two of the all-time most dangerous hombres in the world carried them, as did Charles Lindbergh and William Powell. Recently Clyde Barrow of “Bonnie and Clyde” famed personal Fitz was put up for auction. The Fitz, easy to spot with its distinctive carved away trigger guard, has graced the covers of magazines, novels and made guest appearances in numerous films and television series.

Colonel Jeff Cooper, considered by many the father of modern pistol craft pinned his grip safety because he had small hands and occasionally had problem with depressing it. He didn't recommend it to others, but he decided he'd disable it for HIS personal use.

Many Texas Rangers wrapped leather around their grip safeties to deactivate them in the early 20th century.

OSS agents in ww2 pinned their grip safeties, Shanghai Municipal Police had their 1911's pinned by Fairbairn and Sykes who were tasked with training the cops on the mid 30's.

Clyde Barrow carried a Fitz modified 1911.

Throughout the history of the 1911, it's safeties have been deactivated, trigger guards cut away by men who weren't novices in handling their 1911's. They were, by your accounts, irresponsible. Imagine that, Col Cooper was irresponsible with his 1911's.

Seems I'm in good company with names like Cooper, Askins, Fitz, Texas rangers, Fairbairn] and Sykes who also deactivated safeties on their personal carried 1911's. In reality, I've not deactivated the thumb safety, I'm just not using it. But the men mentioned didn't use their grip safeties which required pinning in place. They couldn't have cared less about being politically correct or considered irresponsible by the likes of some anonymous forum member like yourself. They hunted men for a living [ as I did ] and had good reason to expect to have to use their armament against people willing to kill them without hesitation. Or they were killers themselves who knew leo's were always just around the corner and a gun battle may break out at any time.

As I mentioned, you're entitled to your opinion, yet men like Cooper would likely have responded to your accusing them of being irresponsible with the same tone exhibited here. They weren't babysitters either. Askins was a killer of men as were Texas rangers. Notice most of the men mentioned who irresponsibly [ according to you ] altered their street armament to suit their needs/lifestyle were known as deadly with their 1911's. The lessons through experience these men showed should not go unrecognized.
    Last edited by Brownie; June 21st, 2017 at 09:54 AM.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast