Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default 2017 - Concealed Carry w\ misdemeanor

Good evening everyone..I have been lurking here for a while but wanted to contribute my experience about concealed carry license and purchasing firearms after screwing up and catching a misdemeanor as my prize (play stupid games, win special prizes!).
    This is specific to 18 Pa §2705 which is reckless endangerment of another person. (the only thing on my "record" for the sake of this conversation)
    I have done a ton of google searches about both buying and carrying with such a charge and after filtering through all the "lawyer" sites and PA government sites surrounding firearms I always had results pointing to this forum however the threads were somewhat old and answers were not always forth coming.
    I wanted to let those out there who are also searching know what I experienced in 2017 in the state of PA; specifically Allegheny County.

I have an M2 on my record, again specific to 18 Pa §2705. My charge was REAP and was NOT punishable by more than two years incarceration.
    This is key to understanding the applications wording when answering questions in section 30, item G of your application for concealed carry.
    18 Pa §2705 does not carry a penalty above two years of imprisonment. Previous applications did not word it as such and made things confusing between Federal and State statutes.
    During all the plea bargaining etc with my specific case, I asked my lawyer several times if I could keep the fireamrs I currently owned. Yes.
    Could I buy new firearms. No
    Could I conceal carry ever again. His answer? No.
    Well, I did screw up, so I thought I had no one to blame but myself and just took it on the chin.

I went to a gun show last year with a friend (without intentions of buying) and was talking with a few dealers and one had basically said "if you've ever been fingerprinted, you probably can't buy firearms". I found that odd and that is when I began hunting down what was exactly "legal" in regards to M2.

Since then I was coming up empty with solid answers, I finally called the State Police, PICS and spoke to a supervisor. He told me for section 30, item G I should answer NO.

Well, I went downtown yesterday to the Sheriff's office of firearms with my application in hand and answered no to item G. Thirty minutes later I have LTCF issued from Allegheny County's Sheriff.

tl;dr if you have an 18 Pa §2705 you can still apply for concealed carry (not sure about Philly as its a tier 1 city) and purchase firearms. The only caveat is if the 18 Pa §2705 is based on a domestic in which case all bets are off.
    Also, if you happen to win a prize like mine with hard work and lots of effort and already have a concealed carry, you should contact the Sheriff's office (per the original application you submitted). I did not and the error was mine. However, the court will make the Sheriff's office aware of your offense and if the Sheriff is going to revoke your license you should receive certified mail from their office. In my case I did not (yes, had a license at the time of my infraction).

Best of luck to anyone reading this post and by all means if you have questions; just call the State Police or your county Sheriff's department. Everyone I spoke to was professional and courteous (and understanding).

Thanks to this site as well, have learned alot here while lurking in the shadows!

/best.. M

Default Re: 2017 - Concealed Carry w\ misdemeanor

Contact GUNLAWYER At this site,This is what he specializes in ! Any info otherwise obtained can be disasterous !

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    Contact GUNLAWYER At this site,This is what he specializes in ! Any info otherwise obtained can be disasterous !
    Someone didn't read the whole post...lol
    He already obtained his LTCF.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Venango County)

To be honest, and not knowing the details, I am surprised that a REAP did not register a character clause ban. So you're lucky on that count.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

I tend to agree with you. Considering the judge gave me a 100 dollar fine and a few hours of community service it was essentially a summary instead the official conviction. If I were to spell out my "case" in detail you would flip your lid. I'll just say I was in the wrong but didn't deserve everything thrown at me (not shedding tears for myself mind you). None the less, I was in the wrong and at the time taking the M2 on plea and all the other charges dropped was the best course of action. Funny part of all of it? I paid damn near 900 dollars in court "costs". The county got its pound of flesh so to speak.
    I still believe there are lots of good LEO's out there; I just licked my wounds, adjusted my life and am glad to be a part of the "community" still.

/best... M