June 16, 2017

Dear [NuclearSociety],
Thank you for contacting me about the Hearing Protection Act of 2017 (S. 59). I appreciate hearing from you.
As you know, the National Firearms Act of 1934 (NFA), imposes a tax on the manufacture and transfer of certain firearms and other devices, known as NFA weapons. Only those with a federal firearms license may possess NFA weapons. Firearms silencers are defined as any devices that silence or diminish the report of a portable firearm, and are included in the category of NFA weapons under federal law.
As you know, Senator Mike Crapo (R-ID) introduced S. 59 on January 9, 2017. Among its provisions, this bill would remove firearm silencers from the list of devices classified as NFA weapons. I understand your views on this measure, and I value your input.
S. 59 is currently pending before the Senate Committee on Finance, of which I am a member. Please be assured that I will keep your views on S. 59 in mind as this measure progresses through the legislative process.
Thank you again for your correspondence. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of assistance.
Sincerely,

Signature
Pat Toomey
U.S. Senator, Pennsylvania

-------

Now its my understand that he said "Only those with a federal firearms license may possess NFA weapons."

However that is in fact incorrect? is it not that anybody who pays the $200 tax and passes the BATFE and FBI background check may possess NFA or Class III items?

Also its my understanding that the proposed legislation would only serve to remove Suppressors (silencers) from the purview of the national firearms act, and would allow the sale of them via a 4473 Form like any regular firearm from an FFL holder.