• Savage FCP-SR plus aftermarket stock

2 8.33%
  • Bergara HMR

5 20.83%
  • Other-pls specify

5 20.83%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default 6.5 CM. "Build" or Buy. Poll added!!

Looking to get my feet wet in a 6.5 Creedmoor rifle for longish range shooting in the 300-500 yard range. The optics would be the same and I'd be shooting factory ammo. I've narrowed it down to three potential rifles.....

1. Ruger RPR Gen 2. ~$1200. Would have to buy rings. The aftermarket is blowing up for this. You an pretty much do whatever you can afford...

2. Savage FCP-SR. The stock is crap but B&C just came out with a stock that would fit my needs. The $100 rebate makes this a very attractive offer. The rifle would be around $450 after rebate. Would have to buy rings. Bell and Carlson's new stock at $400.... ~$850

https://www.bellandcarlson.com/index...tegory_ID=1127

3. Bergara HMR. This has everything I need/want for around $950. Would have to buy rings and a base.

4. I'm unsure of the likes of Howa and some turds coming from Remington. Big Green has slim pickens in the 6.5 anyway. Others I should be looking at?? Personal experiences? Pics of anything??

Thanks....
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

Default Re: 6.5 CM. "Build" or Buy. Poll added!!

RPR and call it a day.

(Perry County)

I'm voting other. I'm in the process of building a 6.5 Creedmoor. Aero Precision M5 builder's kit and LPK. Ballistic Advantage barrel...so far.

I've got a custom 700 in 300 Win Mag so I'm covered in the sniper bolt gun category. Besides, I love me a semi.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Chester County)

Well, you're certainly going to enjoy the process.

You'll figure out what rifle works for you, but if you're selecting this 6.5 caliber to "just" take it on walks out to 300-500 yd distances, you're missing a great part of the ballistic curve for this bullet. We've only had the 140 grn Hornady ELDs out to 730 yds, and it's no more strenuous than taking your barking pork-chop (think, small dog) out for a walk (and beating up every other dog in the 'hood).

If your platform doesn't come with 20.6 mils of elevation (their picatinny rail mounted on the receiver), be sure you order a mount with this elevation. RPR's already come with the 20.6 mil base installed...

As far as "rings" - we opted long ago for SPUHR mounts: you can buy them here - http://www.milehighshooting.com/rifl...-rings-mounts/

Of course, you can buy other mounts there too...or at many other places.

Optics? Depending on your preference they may cost 2-3x the price of your rifle - or not. If you're looking for another tube, a 34mm tube would really bring the light on in. 5x25 magnification is great - anything less, and you may struggle a bit at distances yards further than you mentioned. Bragging rights for the logo on your optics is NOTHING compared to the performance of the shooter behind them. As you already know, at distance, it's more important to know elevation "clicks" and an ability to correctly read windage.

Since the issue of MOA/MILRAD has been strenuously debated elsewhere, we have MIL's on all our "really out there" optics and have used MOA's on hunting optics (which basically came with the rifles). While the math is not so different, it's your call.

I'm not kidding when I say having a spotter will help things get nicely dialed in. If we're near where you're testing the build - we'll spot for you.

If you need quick follow-up shots without dialing in the elevation/windage, are you willing to memorize the ballistic curve of your bullet in your barrel out to whatever distance you shoot? Then maybe a front focal-plane scope with a bunch of hold-overs, etc already embedded in the scope would be useful.

There are no shortcuts here, but you will indeed have fun during the process - and I think that's the most important part of the "I'm gonna build this rifle" mission.
    Last edited by bamboomaster; June 14th, 2017 at 06:41 PM.
    - bamboomaster

(Chester County)

Well, you're certainly going to enjoy the process.

You'll figure out what rifle works for you, but if you're selecting this 6.5 caliber to "just" take it on walks out to 300-500 yd distances, you're missing a great part of the ballistic curve for this bullet. We've only had the 140 grn Hornady ELDs out to 730 yds, and it's no more strenuous than taking your barking pork-chop (think, small dog) out for a walk.

If your platform doesn't come with 20.6 mils of elevation (their picatinny rail mounted on the receiver), be sure you order a mount with this elevation. RPR's already come with the 20.6 mil base installed...

As far as "rings" - we opted long ago for SPUHR mounts: you can buy them here - http://www.milehighshooting.com/rifl...-rings-mounts/

Of course, you can buy other mounts there too...or at many other places.

Optics? Depending on your preference they may cost 2-3x the price of your rifle - or not. If you're looking for another tube, a 34mm tube would really bring the light on in. 5x25 magnification is great - anything less, and you may struggle a bit at distances yards further than you mentioned. Bragging rights for the logo on your optics is NOTHING compared to the performance of the shooter behind them. As you already know, at distance, it's more important to know elevation "clicks" and an ability to correctly read windage.

I'm not kidding when I say having a spotter will help things get nicely dialed in. If we're near where you're testing the build - we'll spot for you.

If you need quick follow-up shots without dialing in the elevation/windage, are you willing to memorize the ballistic curve of your bullet in your barrel out to whatever distance you shoot? Then maybe a front focal-plane scope with a bunch of hold-overs, etc already embedded in the scope would be useful.

There are no shortcuts here, but you will indeed have fun during the process - and I think that's the most important part of the "I'm gonna build this rifle" mission.
    - bamboomaster

(Chester County)

I voted for the Bergara, not because I have one, but I've read quite a few recent posts on it, the quality it represents, and some damn small groups.
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

I want to put together a budget long range rifle. My plan was going to be to buy a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM, add a Timney trigger, a "tactical" bolt handle, EGW 20MOA rail, rings, scope, and drop it into Magpul's new Hunter American stock. Then I was considering the Savage FCP-SR, but would still need to get a better stock. And it would cost more than the RAP with the Magpul stock. Then I kept hearing really good things about the Bergara B14 HMR and I was like "SOLD!".

Sooo....I bought a Rossi lever action w/20" oct barrel and color case hardening in .357 that I've been looking for instead....

The Bergara is now top of my list for a long range rifle, but the Rossi is my current project gun.

(Chester County)

I bought the Savage 10 FCP-SR. Nice rifle so far plus cheaper than RPR. Price wise with the rebate its closer to RAR. The aftermarket chassis options I've found still put it less than the RPR. If I recall correctly there is a video on youtube of someone testing the 10 in LSS chassis w/muzzle brake against the RPR and they were basically identical in accuracy but the customized 10 cost a couple hundred less (can be used for better glass).

(Wayne County)

I have a friend that has a RPR. IF he says it's a wonderful rifle it's got to be good.

(Adams County)

6.5 for 300-500 yards is expensive for that range, I shoot .223 at 300-400 yards .40 a round as well as 308 $1 my loads, 6.5 is nice but much more expensive and no more accurate really at that range. Just wanted to add that, but it comes down to do you like the RPR stock, and weight if you shoot one and are fine, I go that route, if not and prefer another stock defiantly savage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast