Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Philadelphia Airport Travel with Firearms

Thank you, Sir. That reassures me that I won't have the same experience I had w/ SW airlines many years ago where agent wanted the case with the firearm in it, unlocked, to carry behind the conveyor belt. Could'a gone down hill, but a supervisor intervened. Anyway, thank you much,

TB605

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by TangoBravo605 View Post
    agent wanted the case with the firearm in it, unlocked, to carry behind the conveyor belt
    Not JUST no...

Philly to Austin and return; no big deal. Philly guy asked for key "so the guy in back can open it to check it for being empty." Ah, no, I'll accompany you with the key to where the TSA guy is and I'll open it. Well, he said, you can't go back there. I said then you can bring the TSA guy out, I'll open it, he can inspect it, Ill lock it. He can then take it back. All very pleasant. He said to just toss the bag in which the locked case was contained onto the conveyor just outside the large, rubber flapped entrance to TSA inner sanctum and off it went accompanied with a LOUD: Hey, HERE COMES A FIREARM TO CHECK OUT!!. Arrived AUS with LARGE RED TAG ON the OUTSIDE OF THE BAG and I picked it up and the special handling office. No sweat. Showed her ID and went to get my rental car (which is a trip in itself0

Same drill on return except, after unlocking to show clear, agent told me to put the unloaded, white tag on the outside of the gun case of the locked gun case. OK. I didn't open it and didn't argue. I ensured that gun case was fully locked with my own keyed locks. Not asked for keys. Carried it to TSA large scanner. Met the TSA guy; told him I had a firearm, he asked Unloaded. Yep, it was. He tossed it onto the belt for X-ray. At PHL, I Arrived at Special Handling section. Bag was already there. I opened the exterior bag to find that the gun case had one lock unlocked and the hasp on the case was lifted up and not latched, and a white, Unloaded Firearm tag was inside. TSA had obviously unlocked one of the locks. I found a quiet place to open the case to make sure everything was there; it was. But there is NO QUESTION in my mind that the gun case had been unlocked.

take care,

TB605
    Last edited by TangoBravo605; February 14th, 2018 at 09:41 AM. Reason: clarification

(Delaware County)

Philly to Austin and return; no big deal. Philly guy asked for key "so the guy in back can open it to check it for being empty." Ah, no, I'll accompany you with the key to where the TSA guy is and I'll open it. Well, he said, you can't go back there. I said then you can bring the TSA guy out, I'll open it, he can inspect it, Ill lock it. He can then take it back. All very pleasant. He said to just toss the bag in which the locked case was contained onto the conveyor just outside the large, rubber flapped entrance to TSA inner sanctum and off it went accompanied with a LOUD: Hey, HERE COMES A FIREARM TO CHECK OUT!!. Arrived AUS with LARGE RED TAG ON the OUTSIDE OF THE BAG and I picked it up and the special handling office. No sweat. Showed her ID and went to get my rental car (which is a trip in itself0

Same drill on return except, after unlocking to show clear, agent told me to put the unloaded, white tag on the outside of the gun case of the locked gun case. OK. I didn't open it and didn't argue. I ensured that gun case was fully locked with my own keyed locks. Not asked for keys. Carried it to TSA large scanner. Met the TSA guy; told him I had a firearm, he asked Unloaded. Yep, it was. He tossed it onto the belt for X-ray. At PHL, I Arrived at Special Handling section. Bag was already there. I opened the exterior bag to find that the gun case had one lock unlocked and the hasp on the case was lifted up and not latched, and a white, Unloaded Firearm tag was inside. TSA had obviously unlocked one of the locks. I found a quiet place to open the case to make sure everything was there; it was. But there is NO QUESTION in my mind that the gun case had been unlocked.

take care,

TB605
    How did they open your non-TSA lock(s)? I only ask because the law states nobody but you should have access to the gun container, so only non-TSA locks should be used on the case.

(Bucks County)

take care,

TB605
    Sounds like you could raise a huge stink with the way it was handled. There isn't supposed to be any indication on the bag there there is a firearm inside.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Susquehanna County)

I have heard both NON-TSA locks and TSA locks on the gun case

One forum poster was a LEO who flew through Ohare. When he arrived at Salt Lake City and went to pick up his baggage the Special baggage agent told him they kept his firearm in Chicago because.. TSA cut the locks to look inside. Then with no locks they could not send it on it's 2nd leg to SLC. On the return trip he missed his connecting flight in Ohare because of screwing around with TSA to retrieve the firearm.
    He, and several others now use TSA locks with unlock flags that can only be reset using the combination.
    The guys using these locks said they have never had a lock opened since..

I have a nice case with TSA locks, and extra locks incase a TSA agent were to say they have to be NON-TSA.. have yet to fly with my girls but possibly this May
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    I have heard both NON-TSA locks and TSA locks on the gun case

One forum poster was a LEO who flew through Ohare. When he arrived at Salt Lake City and went to pick up his baggage the Special baggage agent told him they kept his firearm in Chicago because.. TSA cut the locks to look inside. Then with no locks they could not send it on it's 2nd leg to SLC. On the return trip he missed his connecting flight in Ohare because of screwing around with TSA to retrieve the firearm.
    He, and several others now use TSA locks with unlock flags that can only be reset using the combination.
    The guys using these locks said they have never had a lock opened since..

I have a nice case with TSA locks, and extra locks incase a TSA agent were to say they have to be NON-TSA.. have yet to fly with my girls but possibly this May
    From https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transport...nd-ammunition:

• Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. As defined by 49 CFR 1540.5 a loaded firearm has a live round of ammunition, or any component thereof, in the chamber or cylinder or in a magazine inserted in the firearm. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations.
    Last edited by bigdawgbeav; February 14th, 2018 at 11:06 AM.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

Sgt. K, beats the heck out of me. The locks I used were generic ACE hardware, keyed locks, so maybe there is a generic key that ACE sells, or, TSA has equipment that allows them to "pick" any lock. Sure don't know, however. What I do know for an absolute certainty, both of the latches on the SKB were down and latched upon departure; upon arrival, one of them was not so secured, and because of that, there was a very slight open space that would have allowed someone to slip a tag inside it. So, perhaps, as I think about it writing that, TSA just popped a latch enough to slide the tag inside. I'll try that out when I get home to see if I can do.

TB605

FWIW, both in Austin and in Philly there were several such bags with those large, RED tags attached to the bag. Lotta guns or perhaps other kinds of specialized equipment, but that's pure conjecture on my part. If I could think of place or a site to register such a complaint I sure would. Clearly TSA is not the place to do that. I don't know if ATFE or FAA would be responsive. Any thoughts you all might have on that, i'd be grateful to know because I sure would like to register my concern.

TB605

FWIW, both in Austin and in Philly there were several such bags with those large, RED tags attached to the bag. Lotta guns or perhaps other kinds of specialized equipment, but that's pure conjecture on my part. If I could think of place or a site to register such a complaint I sure would. Clearly TSA is not the place to do that. I don't know if ATFE or FAA would be responsive. Any thoughts you all might have on that, i'd be grateful to know because I sure would like to register my concern.

TB605

No TSA is the place to file a complaint. No tags are supposed to be placed on the outside. Also the locks used are not to be TSA locks. You are the only one that should have the key or combination. If the airline places any tag I would also complaint to the airline as well in a cc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast