Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: SCARshooter's AR-15 Build Thread

I didn't consider your age when I assumed the FFL was being a dick about not entering the lower as "other" in the book.

I forget if you need to be 18 or 21 to get a stripped lower. I'm so far beyond those ages that I don't retain a lot of the info regarding the laws for such things.

What I was thinking of was several years ago a LOT of FFLs would require a stripped lower to be entered in the books in the same manner as a handgun which was wrong and that got cleared up in court.
    They do NOT have to enter a stripped lower in the books using the same form (I don't know what number the form is) as handguns.

Some people still run across this situation and I assumed that was the case here. I'm not really sure now though.

I too like the rifle you have. I'm more of a carbine guy and will likely never own anything with a barrel over 16", but that looks nice and if it's what you want, well there you go.

As for the stocks and "sloppy fit", I'm right there with you. Regardless of it having no affect on the function of the rifle, I despise a rattling stock.
    For future reference, the Mission First Tactical Minimalist stocks (adjustable) are rock-solid and very affordable.
    I have one on two of my carbines and they are both solid. Highly recommend them.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I didn't consider your age when I assumed the FFL was being a dick about not entering the lower as "other" in the book.

I forget if you need to be 18 or 21 to get a stripped lower. I'm so far beyond those ages that I don't retain a lot of the info regarding the laws for such things.

What I was thinking of was several years ago a LOT of FFLs would require a stripped lower to be entered in the books in the same manner as a handgun which was wrong and that got cleared up in court.
    They do NOT have to enter a stripped lower in the books using the same form (I don't know what number the form is) as handguns.

Some people still run across this situation and I assumed that was the case here. I'm not really sure now though.
    The issue was that receivers that have never been mated to a barreled upper are legally considered "firearms" not "long guns" as per the 1968 GCA. I did not find this in my research as the focus was on what lower to buy. The text of the 1968 GCA dictates that it is an exemption for 18 year olds to own long guns so on a federal level, receivers cannot be transferred to 18 year olds. Even if it is only capable of making a rifle. The FFL actually spent some time trying to come up with options and I decided to return it instead of going with the other options. The FFL was actually very willing to help solve the issues and was familiar with it as one of their employees apparently dealt with it not too long ago. As for carbines, yes they are great, but for some reason I have an affinity for the look of 20" guns. They just look better to me. And in the end that what most AR builds devolve into. So I just rolled with that.

(Allegheny County)

Stripped lowers are legally considered "OTHER". Not a firearm, not a pistol, and not a rifle - "other" is what they are to be logged in as.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Other still does not fall under the category of "long gun" which is the issue. Unfortunately thats the reality we live in. Any young adult who can clear a background check can go in and walk right out with a rifle, yet they cant buy the parts to build them. No point in arguing semantics over what its classified as at this point. Lets just appreciate the beautiful work of craftsmanship that is the AR15.

Update time. Recently purchased a Harris bipod clone and an Arisaka Defense mount, replaced the MagPul sling with a Blue Force Gear VCAS, added a Brownells A1 stock and finally got a decent quality optic on it. The 5/8" difference between the A1 and A2 LoP makes a huge difference. Never before did I think that such a little difference would make it that much more comfortable. The optic is a Primary Arms 1-8 ACSS sitting in Nikon P series rings. All I have to say so far is that it is one incredibly clear and intuitive option given the price. Next step in the build is going to be a KAK Industries 18" mid-length barrel, 1:7 twist, government profile. The HBAR i made the mistake of going with is just too much weight. Ideally, that should cut out a pound from up front and allow me to get the gas tube fully protected by the handguard. Obligatory pic of current config below:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12