Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SCARshooter's AR-15 Build Thread

Today the first step in building my first AR began. The orders for the lower receiver and muzzle brake were placed this afternoon. The GWACS CAV15 Mk II should arrive at my LGS by Friday, and the brake sometime between Monday and Wednesday. Due to the nature of the parts being ordered, however, the rest will have to wait until the week after next to be ordered because I will be on vacation and there will be no-one at the house to receive any of the deliveries. The upper and LPK will be coming from PSA and free float forearm from LanWorld Inc. So far I have invested $201.07 in the build and it seems I will be coming in very far under the estimate of $1150 estimate from my other thread (though that was a top end estimate as stated in the aforementioned thread). The receiver had to be ordered direct from GWACS Armory as my google-fu could not find it in stock anywhere else. Will update when parts have arrived and more have been ordered.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: SCARshooter's AR-15 Build Thread

Did ya get a zombie green lower, or "boring black"? LOL
    Mine are black - found them on clearance at Rainier Arms about 2 years ago for $89.

If you look in the "Gun Pics" subforum you'll see my two recent build threads. The thread for the 7.62x39 has a bunch of links to CAV-15 info.

Here's an excellent video on installing a LPK. I found it to be pretty helpful.
    I've put together about 5 other lowers and I was worried this would be harder for some reason but it wasn't.

If you have any questions, just ask!

I felt a challenge to find some for sale and I came across this place with the completed lower with LPK installed for the same price as GWACS wants. (in 4 colors)
    Also, found ONE (black) in stock here - for $89.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lancaster County)

Stop ! Don't do it ! they are more addictive than CRACK ! immediately box up all of the parts and any that you receive later and mail them to me (please, I know I need help, but I can't stop...)

Good luck ! have fun- get messy ! they are really fun to build, and you have the joy of accomplishment in doing it. You can build exactly what YOU want for a lot cheaper, and then it is yours- which is really nice until you think "wow, that wasn't hard but maybe next time..." Be forewarned !

Cb
    Cb Μολὼν λαβέ

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by solrac7 View Post
    Stop ! Don't do it ! they are more addictive than CRACK ! immediately box up all of the parts and any that you receive later and mail them to me (please, I know I need help, but I can't stop...)

Good luck ! have fun- get messy ! they are really fun to build, and you have the joy of accomplishment in doing it. You can build exactly what YOU want for a lot cheaper, and then it is yours- which is really nice until you think "wow, that wasn't hard but maybe next time..." Be forewarned !

Cb
    I am always impressed how poofa members are willing to make sacrifices to help out others!
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Allegheny County)

Another link that you may find useful - go about halfway down and you'll see a ton of "Armorers notes" and other details that will either help, or completely overwhelm you.

I went with basic black, as FDE was sold out everywhere. Zombie green while interesting just doesn't suit me. I actually came across your (EM) threads on the CAV-15 as well as most of the (rather consolidated) information posted about it before i made the decision. Now i wont be needing any sacrifices to help save me from the addiction. It's already got me and there's no going back now. Very much looking forward to getting these parts in. Lower will be at my LGS when I return home from vacation, and seeing as how I've been a law abiding citizen for the entirety of my albeit short life, there is no concern regarding my passing of a background check when that time comes.

Been a little while since i last posted. There have been some major changes since then. I went to my LGS to pickup the lower and found out that it cannot be transferred to me ans it is classed as a "firearm", not a "long gun". They could not assemble an upper onto it and sell it that way as they are not a Class 7 FFL holder. Finding someone local to build the rifle up for me and transfer it was a difficult task and not worth the effort, in my opinion. While I did invest a sum into acquiring the GWACS lower, that can be refunded and should be, as soon as they respond to both myself and the LGS who currently possesses it. While considering options, the decision was made to just but a complete rifle close in features to the end goal, sans polymer receiver. I decided on a Del-Ton 20" HBAR, and proceeded to order several components that I planned to use on the GWACS. Tonight, I finished assembly of the rifle, and all that awaits are magazines and a rear sight. The parts that I changed are as follows: A2 Birdcage swapped for MFI G28 FH clone, plastic fixed handguards swapped for a 12" HERA Arms IRS quadrail, and A2 pistol grip replaced with an ERGO grip. It is a solid, well put together from factory rifle. Very pleasant to shoulder, heavy but well balanced. Visually pleasing to me (for the most part... exposed gas tube and front sight base will be handled at a later time, when it is more financially suitable). BUIS, mags, and optics are to come soon. Overall, I am very happy with the decision I have made. While it is not the path that was originally intended, everything played out very well in the end.

HERA SPR.jpg
    **DISCLAIMER: Optic and mount pictured are placeholders and non usable on this rifle. They will not remain as they do not fit properly, or hold zero**

(Allegheny County)

I think you need to find a new FFL.

(Lancaster County)

Nice looking rifle. Congrats. I like the full stock.
    Cb Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I think you need to find a new FFL.
    Your probably correct, but as with anything, this is a learning experience. While not quite what I intended, I am learning quite a bit. It is my fault as I did not research enough. Such is life. There is a beautiful rifle in my possession and it is very close to what was initially planned, so everything did work out. The money spent on the GWACS has been refunded and will be put towards mags and a rear sight.

Quote Originally Posted by solrac7 View Post
    Nice looking rifle. Congrats. I like the full stock.
    Thank you. I quite like it as well. greatest thing about it is the lack or play which plagues carbine stocks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast