Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Cool Keystone Shooting Center??

Anybody have any information on this? Looks pretty cool:

https://www.facebook.com/keystoneshootingcenter/

Will be cool if it is true!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Keystone Shooting Center??

Will be looking into it ....

Hopefully they will incorporate some "good" range rules/standards.
    My wife and I were in Columbus Ohio a couple of times in the last month and I visited 3 indoor ranges, all better facilities with better rules/standards than anything local around here.

Will have my fingers crossed!
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Allegheny County)

Some reading about it here: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=247020

It's been in the works for years and despite some of the "never going to happen" proclamations in that thread, it was announced last year that the Township had approved the project and it was indeed real. Thing is, there have been other attempts at expensive indoor facilities (Bullseye off the Parkway West comes to mind). Whether or not this one will survive is the question. Not sure what it would take to get me to pay to shoot when I belong to a club so we'll have to see.

Oh - didn't realize it was "coming soon" since 2014. Will continue to hope!

What would you consider "good" rules and standards? Most I've been to while traveling have been pretty straight forward. Guess I haven't been to a whole lot though.

(Allegheny County)

My wife and I have been associated with several indoor ranges as shooters, instructors, running different types of leagues etc. in several different states. I was an instructor for a PD in WA state that had its own indoor range. The two of us travelled around the country and have been to many different indoor ranges during the last 30 years. Here is my take on what "Good" rules and standards:

1. No "You have to use our ammo" - except for rental gun usage, this rule is a NO Go
    2. "You can't pick up your brass" - no explanation required, this is just theft. If you want to limit shooters to only picking up their own brass, O.K.
    3. Some sort of policy to allow "trained members" to work from the holster. Ranges that I have been to across the country have policies that allow members with proof of training, that have been trained by them, or have been "checked off" by their range staff to work from the holster.
    4. No "You have to use our targets"
    5. No "No rapid fire allowed" or "only 1 shot per second", this can easily be accomplished by having the rule "No uncontrolled rapid fire allowed" - range staff have ultimate say as to what controlled/uncontrolled is.
    6. Hopefully open 7 days a week - not a deal breaker, but it would be nice.
    7. Open to at least 2100 hours - it is tuff to make it to the range in the evening after work for some.
    8. Some sort of Defensive Pistol training, to include some sort of structured practice/training events on a regular basis.
    9. If you are going to allow rifle caliber in the indoor range - have a separate bay for them. Remember, handgun rounds damage carriers, rifle rounds destroy them, so have extra parts on hand so that you are not down lanes.
    10. Make sure that your range staff has some training, should be obvious - but you would be surprised.
    11. Some sort of safety briefing, check, video etc... before users can shoot at the range.

I am sure that there are more that I could think of, but I have to go
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Allegheny County)

I would add that telling paying customers on Facebook to "Fuck off" should be a deal breaker as well, but since we know it's not, I don't think any of the above issues would be deal breakers either.

Hopefully this outfit has a little more sense than the "other place" everyone wanted to join. LOL
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
    Some reading about it here: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=247020

It's been in the works for years and despite some of the "never going to happen" proclamations in that thread, it was announced last year that the Township had approved the project and it was indeed real. Thing is, there have been other attempts at expensive indoor facilities (Bullseye off the Parkway West comes to mind). Whether or not this one will survive is the question. Not sure what it would take to get me to pay to shoot when I belong to a club so we'll have to see.
    Bearpack. You are confusing Keystone Shooting Center with Ellwand Shooting Academy. You are indeed correct when you say THEY have been in the works for years. However, we are an entirely different group and decided to build when all the "talkers" didn't move on a site. We completed all of our engineering and site plan work and received Planning Commission approval on 4/4 of this year and received approval by the Board of Supervisors on May 21st. We are moving dirt. We have been moving very quickly to open by November 15th, weather permitting (pray for no heavy June rains). We are currently in the gun business and own Keystone Armory in Edinboro, PA. I encourage you to verify any of this info by going onto the Marshall TWP website and by driving by 925 Sheraton Drive in Mars, PA. We have been moving VERY QUICKLY to bring a great facility to Pittsburgh.

In short order, the renderings you see are the REAL deal and this is what is being built. If you have any questions feel free to direct them to me and I'm happy to answer them. We are very happy to be opening Pittsburgh's first 5 star indoor shooting range.

(Allegheny County)

Orive,

We are shooters ourselves so we aren't planning to have "silly rules". All our range rules will be to ensure that our members and walk-ins have a safe and enjoyable experience. Although we don't have all the range rules finalized, I can elaborate on some of your comments.

1. You won't have to use OUR ammo, except when you rent which is a legal liability issue. We plan to be VERY competitive on range ammo making unnecessary for you to buy elsewhere. But you can feel free to bring in your own ammo.

2.You can pick up your brass. You just won't be able to pick up any stray brass that goes in front of the firing line. It is your brass anyway. Brass will be pushed into a grating mechanism after each shooter is finished so you won't be able to capture other shooters brass, but your brass is your brass. Seems kind of common sense doesn't it?

We will be open 7 days a week of course and of course open till 9 p.m. (except Sundays). Most shooters actually work for a living so the busiest time is after 5 p.m.

I'm happy to keep you updated as things progress. We are mobilizing and starting to move dirt. November 15th is our scheduled opening date. Also, thanks for your comments. As a shooter we are amazed ourselves at some of the "stupid" things that ranges do. We are excited to bring Pittsburgh its first 5 star range.

(Allegheny County)

See my reply to Bearpack. We have been moving very fast and decided to build when all the "talkers" didn't come through. Hope this helps.

Bearpack. You are confusing Keystone Shooting Center with Ellwand Shooting Academy. You are indeed correct when you say THEY have been in the works for years. However, we are an entirely different group and decided to build when all the "talkers" didn't move on a site. We completed all of our engineering and site plan work and received Planning Commission approval on 4/4 of this year and received approval by the Board of Supervisors on May 21st. We are moving dirt. We have been moving very quickly to open by November 15th, weather permitting (pray for no heavy June rains). We are currently in the gun business and own Keystone Armory in Edinboro, PA. I encourage you to verify any of this info by going onto the Marshall TWP website and by driving by 925 Sheraton Drive in Mars, PA. We have been moving VERY QUICKLY to bring a great facility to Pittsburgh.

In short order, the renderings you see are the REAL deal and this is what is being built. If you have any questions feel free to direct them to me and I'm happy to answer them. We are very happy to be opening Pittsburgh's first 5 star indoor shooting range.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast