Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Default Re: GROUNDHOG INFESTATION !

I used cantaloupe as bait in a Havahart trap...got one into it within 20 minutes...

(Cumberland County)

conibear traps work very well, just set them at the entrance to the holes. We get several a year to take care of.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    City folk, they don't understand. The biggest rats they have are only a couple of pounds.
    Hey that's not true. The city is home to some of if not the biggest rats known to man. Some like to call them politicians but most prefer calling them corrupt rats. While they are native to urban and suburban environments they have been known to wander to rural areas and make their nests. There is no known way to remove them once the infestation has started.
    "Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'" -unknown

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    Depends on the rifle. My Henry rifle can shoot .22 short, .22 long, and .22 long rifle. My Mossberg 701 Plinkster only shoots .22 long rifle.
    Your Plinkster will shoot shorts and longs too, but you will likely have to manual feed and eject them.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    Bubblegum. Unwrap a few pieces and drop in the holes. Hogs can't pass it and will die in the holes.
    Read the same thing about Bananas on a country living board. Mom tried it and got rid of the ones under her shed.

(Centre County)

Go for the Duke Conibear 160 traps, they will kill the hogs very easily. You can get them pretty cheap from Amazon. You need a minimum of 2 though, one for the front hole, one for the rear hole. When you get them, degrease them and spray paint them flat black, it actually makes it harder for the hogs to see them. The instructions should tell you how to place them (must be placed so the hog has to go through it to get into the hole). They work very well and are quiet.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by brewguy View Post
    conibear traps work very well, just set them at the entrance to the holes. We get several a year to take care of.
    They sure do, but are only legal to use in water when trapping with a fur takers license.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    They sure do, but are only legal to use in water when trapping with a fur takers license.
    Figures. Just how are you suppose to legally get rid of the hogs? Are havahearts legal?

(Berks County)

I have not read the whole thread so please forgive me if I am repeating what has already been said. I have trapped 'hogs with both Havaharts and conibear traps successfully. The conibears can be tricky to set and if you get anything larger than the small ones also get the overpriced tool to set them. I have been unable to figure out how to set them without it. You say that traps aren't working, that can happen too if they're too smart to go in there. I haven't tried it but I had an Amish guy (no shit) once tell me that if you soak a roll of tertlet paper in gasoline and stuff it in the hole the fumes will work their way through their tunnels and kill them in there. That one's easy enough to try. One of the problems I had was that the bastads had several doors to their underground labyrinth all through the heavy brush and they were hard to find. I could load one door up with traps and wouldn't get anything.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lancaster County)

Crossbow perhaps?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast