Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: OC with badge next to gun smart or dumb?

Quote Originally Posted by archon View Post
    And what did I say above that gave you that impression? I ask this seriously. Did you actually read the OP?
    Yes, it reads like a cry for help. Affirmation that it's ok to get a CCW badge.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    Yes, it reads like a cry for help. Affirmation that it's ok to get a CCW badge.
    I think you need to improve your read comprehension skills if you think raising a subject for discussion is the same as advocating for a position. Or maybe just try to re-read things before firing off incomplete thoughts.

It was just a joke. Sorry.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by archon View Post
    Why is it "dumb" or "stupid though? I'm not saying it may not be dumb or stupid, just would like a little bit more of rationale behind the thinking.

Would it be similarly dumb to say wear a suit when you OC because someone is more likely to think you just might be a bodyguard or plain clothed cop? Again, it isn't illegal to dress or wear things that might give someone the impression that you serve a certain role in society even though you don't hold that role. It is illegal to say pretend to be an actual cop, but just mimicking appearance or mannerism of is completely legal.
    A security guard has exactly ZERO more authority than any other citizen, so it doesn't make much sense to parade around with a worthless badge.

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    A security guard has exactly ZERO more authority than any other citizen, so it doesn't make much sense to parade around with a worthless badge.
    But you need to respect their authority...how can you do that if they don't flash the trophy of their greatness so you know you have no need to fear anything?

It strikes me as a pointless wannabe type thing. What's the point of it? What does it prove? It's not like you need a ltcf to get one.

People don't get badges to show that they have a phone, are wearing Nike shoes, have a pink bra on, or eating tacos etc...... Because there is no point.

If I see someone with a concealed carry badge, I'm thinking they are trying to convey that they are more important than they are. Like so many things it's legal, they have a right to do it, but others have the same right to think "lame"

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    You are correct that in general a security guard has the same authority as an average citizen. In some states a certification may confer some more limited authority. For instance in some states getting a loss prevention certification confers the authority to effect an arrest on a shoplifter when the average citizen does not have that authority.

I believe whoever was wearing the badge though was not trying to express any more real authority. I believe it was their intention to create the impression upon others that he had perceived authority. That is when you average citizen who is not learned in the ways of OCing looks at him and see the badge thinks "oh that is perfectly fine he has a badge so must be a cop or some other figure with the authority to carry a gun like that".

I could be wrong. With a LTCF you can carry for as an employee. Perhaps his employer requires wearing that badge when carrying a firearm. But the above is purely my speculation. Unfortunately I was in a rush and didn't have time to stop him for a few minutes to ask him some questions if he would have been willing to answer.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    It strikes me as a pointless wannabe type thing. What's the point of it? What does it prove? It's not like you need a ltcf to get one.

People don't get badges to show that they have a phone, are wearing Nike shoes, have a pink bra on, or eating tacos etc...... Because there is no point.

If I see someone with a concealed carry badge, I'm thinking they are trying to convey that they are more important than they are. Like so many things it's legal, they have a right to do it, but others have the same right to think "lame"
    One of my thoughts was would it be a good idea to somehow get a state issued badge if you wanted to OC. Sort of like a way to tell a cop that might be approaching you that you have a license even though they still might be able to demand to see it. I mean my car has inspection stickers and (up until this year) registration stickers. Those visually verify that I am following the law even though during a traffic stop I still might have to produce documentation to back up those stickers.

Does any other state have such a practice? I tried to search around the internet and couldn't find anything. I found a really old article that suggested a bill was put in Texas implementing a voluntary badge system along with legalizing OC. But, that was basically it.

(Delaware County)

I was around security guards daily in a past life. I also know a few in this life. There are two kinds of security guards, those who needed a job and took that job as a temporary thing until getting something else and guards who could not become cops or get into the military. You probably saw the latter.

Of course this does not apply to every single guard but it does for all the ones I have met.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Lancaster County)

Did the guy appear to have trauma plates duct taped to himself?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast