Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default moving and installing a safe

I am looking to move a small safe from storage in Northeast Philly to my house in Chester County. Anybody know a good guy or crew for this kind of job?

(Berks County)

Default Re: moving and installing a safe

Quote Originally Posted by WoollyPullover View Post
    I am looking to move a small safe from storage in Northeast Philly to my house in Chester County. Anybody know a good guy or crew for this kind of job?
    I used to deliver gun safes to Clemmer's Moving and Storage in Telford, PA for them to make final delivery. They told me that that the charge for final delivery was about $65.00, which I think is very reasonable (if it's the correct price). It's easy enough to call them and ask. Also, I would expect most moving and storage companies are able to perform that service. No pile of friends, no fighting with the wrong kind of hand truck, no rigging some kind of plywood ramp, etc.

How small is small? I've easily moved my 23 gun Liberty gun safe with 2 guys total, a pickup truck, and a refridg. dolly that you can rent from uhaul. If steps are involved you may want a third guy. My safe is around 400lbs.

(Chester County)

It's a small safe but the seller claims it's about 2000lbs. http://www.ebay.com/itm/232356005979?ul_noapp=true

Yeah you're probably right then to look for some professional help. A mover once told me that small, yet heavy, safes are a bitch compared to a traditional gun safe. I have no help to offer in regards to a particular company in your area, but I imagine most reputable movers would be able to take the job. Some may charge more if it really is that heavy.

Those safe tend to be heavy. One thing to be aware of if you wind up moving it yourself, a lot of time the doors are designed to be removable when you open it to a certain point allowing you to split the weight when moving

(Berks County)

Did you 'win' it? It sold for something like $595.00

(Chester County)

I ended up deciding to hold out for something with more capacity. That was a smoking deal for whoever got it.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by WoollyPullover View Post
    I ended up deciding to hold out for something with more capacity. That was a smoking deal for whoever got it.
    Maybe, maybe not. I pick up some used trucks off of govdeals.com now and then when I can move enough stuff right away to cover the cost and I get some stuff to use myself but the cost of getting it is part of the equation. That safe weighs in at #2000 and is probably looking at some heavy equipment to move it. i e rigger's forklift and/or cherry picker, both picking it up and delivering it. I'd love to hear what it cost to move it. After you divulged its weight I was wondering if it's worth anything at all for what it will cost to move it.

As for moving, I'd recommend hiring a moving company, really reduces the amount of headache. I worked with wellesley ma movers https://starkmovers.com/wellesley-movers/ though this company works in many states. Good luck!