Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Euthanizing Road kill

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    "Don't dial 911, it's not an emergency"? While I agree with this 100% have you ever had a non emergency, semi urgent situation and tried to find a number to call? Years ago there was a whole section in the front of the phone book dedicated to the local emergency response divisions for the areas covered in that phone book. Those numbers do exist if you know where/how to find them but where the hell are they?
    I just went to our buddy google and typed in "Lancaster county non-emergency number" and viola, I got this: https://www.lcwc911.us/lcwc/

Since the internet has become a basic human right, no reason other people couldn't do the same while they're not busy ordering stuff from Amazon prime.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    "Don't dial 911, it's not an emergency"? While I agree with this 100% have you ever had a non emergency, semi urgent situation and tried to find a number to call? Years ago there was a whole section in the front of the phone book dedicated to the local emergency response divisions for the areas covered in that phone book. Those numbers do exist if you know where/how to find them but where the hell are they?
    And it depends where. In Phila, it's 911 for police / fire / medical. Only other numbers are district direct, which are for inquiries only. Any reporting, they tell you call 911.
    Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I just went to our buddy google and typed in "Lancaster county non-emergency number" and viola, I got this: https://www.lcwc911.us/lcwc/

Since the internet has become a basic human right, no reason other people couldn't do the same while they're not busy ordering stuff from Amazon prime.
    Looks like a dangerous link. WIsh I had not clicked.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    And it depends where. In Phila, it's 911 for police / fire / medical. Only other numbers are district direct, which are for inquiries only. Any reporting, they tell you call 911.
    Same with Delco. 911 for everything.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Legally, putting the animal down is poaching. By law, only a game warden can do the job (but I once saw a state trooper put down a badly-crippled deer).
    Law enforcement can put down game animals too, along with vets (not the military kind). I've put down a lot of deer following accidents.

All this talk about euthanizing an injured deer ? I once tried CPR on a wounded Opposum and got bit on my cheek !

(Philadelphia County)

LOL!.....with the teeth that they have?....Yeesh!
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

I know a cop who was trying to drag a half crippled deer off the road to dispatch it. Son of a bitch kicked him right in the shin and split him open real good. He was obviously worried about any possible ricochet off the pavement.

I saw a deer get hit by a snow plow once...that was pretty wild.

Another time I was doing a ride along with local PD and we got a call about a raccoon that was hit by a car. Those bastards are hard to kill.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Many 911 centers have non-emergency numbers that you can call, I have it programmed into my cell phone and have used it multiple times, at least once for a half dead deer right beside the roadway, another time for escaped cows. The number goes to the same dispatchers as the 911 calls do, but they don't answer the call the same way as if you're calling 911.
    I was told directly by a dispatcher in the Dauphin County 911 call center (during a tour) that although they have a non-emergency number, they are fine with anyone calling 911 any time they have a legitimate need to get in touch with the police. They would rather have people call 911 and get through (even on less-urgent calls) than not call at all because they can't find or remember the non-emergency number for the call center. They're only going to have a problem with calling 911 if it's a completely frivolous call ("I ordered a nine-piece McNuggets but they gave me 10, those jerks!").

But I do keep the non-emergency number for the call center in my phone.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
    I know a cop who was trying to drag a half crippled deer off the road to dispatch it. Son of a bitch kicked him right in the shin and split him open real good. He was obviously worried about any possible ricochet off the pavement.

Sigh,.... SMH. Don't drag em til they're dead. We're shooting JHP into a body. Little chance of ricochet to start with. And any remaining chance can be negated by positioning yourself so that when shooting the deer in the head, its body becomes the backstop for any fragments that bounce off pavement.

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    I was told directly by a dispatcher in the Dauphin County 911 call center (during a tour) that although they have a non-emergency number, they are fine with anyone calling 911 any time they have a legitimate need to get in touch with the police. They would rather have people call 911 and get through (even on less-urgent calls) than not call at all because they can't find or remember the non-emergency number for the call center. They're only going to have a problem with calling 911 if it's a completely frivolous call ("I ordered a nine-piece McNuggets but they gave me 10, those jerks!").

But I do keep the non-emergency number for the call center in my phone.
    Its not a big deal. Often, 911 or non-emegency number are answered by the same person at the same desk using the same computer. Calling 911 from your cell will trigger your GPS location or home location if calling from landline. Non-emergency number won't automatically trigger that info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    He's allowed because he's special.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast