Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Talking Anyone willing to show someone the ropes? (Small Game)

As the title states, looking for someone to maybe offer a little instruction.

I'm new to hunting and would love to go for small game. (Rabbit, Squirrel, whatever) While I have people close to me to show me the ropes when it comes to deer and turkey I don't have anyone who hunts small game. I know it might be a lot to ask but I was wondering if anyone in Eastern PA would anyone be willing to have someone tag along on one of their trips? I'm sure I could pick it up on my own but I really don't feel comfortable just trouncing through the woods by myself with no idea as to what I'm doing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tj

Default Re: Anyone willing to show someone the ropes? (Small Game)

Quote Originally Posted by soup View Post
    As the title states, looking for someone to maybe offer a little instruction.

I'm new to hunting and would love to go for small game. (Rabbit, Squirrel, whatever) While I have people close to me to show me the ropes when it comes to deer and turkey I don't have anyone who hunts small game. I know it might be a lot to ask but I was wondering if anyone in Eastern PA would anyone be willing to have someone tag along on one of their trips? I'm sure I could pick it up on my own but I really don't feel comfortable just trouncing through the woods by myself with no idea as to what I'm doing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tj

Sorry I'm a bit too far, but if you ever find yourself venturing way north what the hell.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Montgomery County)

Thanks, I'd definitely consider it. I've been up that way once and loved it, besides, a good education is priceless right?

(Fayette County)

Check out Hunting PA, they have a forum that covers all aspects of hunting, including small game. Might be better than nothing to learn the basics.
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard

(Monroe County)

Small game hunting is fairly easy, take your weapon of choice, go find a nice area and wander aimlessly for a few hours hoping to see something

Or you could just post up in a "prime" location like a field with short grass or oak grove / nut tree grove and shoot the little buggers when they come out.

Are you hunting with a shotgun or .22?
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    Small game hunting is fairly easy, take your weapon of choice, go find a nice area and wander aimlessly for a few hours hoping to see something

Or you could just post up in a "prime" location like a field with short grass or oak grove / nut tree grove and shoot the little buggers when they come out.

Are you hunting with a shotgun or .22?
    Thanks for all of the suggestions

I'd like to hunt with a .22 but at the moment I only have a semi auto. I do have a 20 GA shotgun that I could use until I find a decent .22 in my price range

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    For birds and rabbits I agree. But I find squirrel hunting is much like deer hunting. Find an area with good mast, lean against a tree and wait.
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Coop650 View Post
    For birds and rabbits I agree. But I find squirrel hunting is much like deer hunting. Find an area with good mast, lean against a tree and wait.
    Absolutely agreed. I like to get out early in the morning and setup. Come 8 or 9 O'clock they'll be out and about. And the great thing about squirrel is that after you shoot one or two.. wait a bit and they'll come back out.

Rabbit and Grouse are different. We have some pretty nice open fields with small stands of pine (I think they used to be coal mining areas) near my parents' place, and we'll walk them all day looking for grouse and rabbit. Be ready though. The first time a grouse takes flight five yards from you, it'll scare the piss out of you if you don't see it before it takes off.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Buckmark.35 View Post
    Absolutely agreed. I like to get out early in the morning and setup. Come 8 or 9 O'clock they'll be out and about. And the great thing about squirrel is that after you shoot one or two.. wait a bit and they'll come back out.

Rabbit and Grouse are different. We have some pretty nice open fields with small stands of pine (I think they used to be coal mining areas) near my parents' place, and we'll walk them all day looking for grouse and rabbit. Be ready though. The first time a grouse takes flight five yards from you, it'll scare the piss out of you if you don't see it before it takes off.
    Man ain't that the truth! even worse when its pitch black out, walking into the stand with nothing but a head lamp and you almost step on the little bastard before he takes off!

Anyone know how hard it is to stand back up with a treestand on your back? I was like a turtle on its back for 2 or 3 minutes until I undid the straps and got out of it! Then I went and emptied my pants.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Huntingdon County)

Just be careful about shooting squirrels in trees with a 22. That bullet can travel a pretty good ways if you miss.
    I started with a shotgun and eventually moved up to a 22 when i started hunting small game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast