Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Regarding your LTCF showing up on a traffic stop...

I talked to a friend who is a local police officer. They ran my plate and DL this morning to show me what info comes up as a part of the automated system.

I was staring right over their shoulder at the laptop in the cruiser when the query returned it's results. My LTCF status did NOT show up anywhere. I was told that the LTCF query can be run through County, but it's not automatic.

Additionally, of any info of a confidential nature is being broadcast, they use one of the digital, encrypted channels, so that It's not broadcast over open air.

Go, South Whitehall. Your local department may vary.
    Junior

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Regarding your LTCF showing up on a traffic stop...

Very informative. Thank you.

(Bucks County)

However, I was told by a Bristol cop when they run your driver's license, it INDEED comes up---plate info does not.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    However, I was told by a Bristol cop when they run your driver's license, it INDEED comes up---plate info does not.
    I got pulled over 3 times in about a week a little while ago. One was my fault (about 10mph over limit, got warning), the other two the officer was fishing (late at night, very beater looking truck, I was profiled as a drunk whilst sober, or at least as a person with expired registration or inspection, and they figured out quickly that I was just a guy going home at a different hour than normal).

In the speeding incident, the officer brought up my carry status, in the other two they did not. Neighboring towns in Montgomery County.

Perhaps they all got the same info, but only one of them decided to pursue?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    I talked to a friend who is a local police officer. They ran my plate and DL this morning to show me what info comes up as a part of the automated system.

I was staring right over their shoulder at the laptop in the cruiser when the query returned it's results. My LTCF status did NOT show up anywhere. I was told that the LTCF query can be run through County, but it's not automatic.

Additionally, of any info of a confidential nature is being broadcast, they use one of the digital, encrypted channels, so that It's not broadcast over open air.

Go, South Whitehall. Your local department may vary.

Oh yes - "Departments may vary". LOL

I don't know if LTCF info shows up, but we listen to a scanner and routinely hear them call in handgun info to check to see if it belongs to the person they pulled over.
    They describe the handgun, read off the serial number and wait a minute.
    Dispatch replies that "the gun is registered to a Mr John Doe of 1234 Maple Street Nameoftown, PA 12345".

Perfect.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Montgomery County)

This question has gone back and forth over the years on this forum. The answer appears to depend on what system the police use to run your tag and/or DL. I know that there are many available to police across the country. It must just depend on which one local practice uses and/or the jurisdiction pays for out of the public treasury.

If you go by red letter law the data should be confidential and not pop up in a routine run. However we know that there is the law as written and the law as enforced. Police are supposed to call the county from where the license was issued to verify data. Indeed, my LTCF has a "hot line" number prompting the police to call it to verify anything on it. I am told in my particular county that will ring the on-call sheriff deputy who will do a computer run.

So the various reports are either police in different jurisdictions using different database systems or it is just a matter of routine police questioning that is trained in some jurisdictions. If I were a cop in an area with a high LTCF population I would probably make it one of my routine questions. (Not to yank them out of the car and treat them as a criminal, but just in case I had to make an arrest or legally get them out of the car for further questioning. There are many people out there who are good intentioned but simply forgot to make a final payment on a traffic ticket that now have a warrant they only find out about when stopped...)

I bet State Police use a different system.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Dispatch replies that "the gun is registered to a Mr John Doe of 1234 Maple Street Nameoftown, PA 12345".

Perfect.
    That's a lie.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Lancaster County)

not necessarily related, but you may be interested to know that PICS data is stored on a PennDOT server.

(Beaver County)

'gun is registered to " registered? Did someone change the law?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast