Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: My turn I guess. 500 mag case stuck in resizing die

I looked at the Midway kit, looks like that'd do the trick. If this becomes a habit I'll invest in one. I'll try the DIY method first.

Thanks to all who replied.

Bruce

(Chester County)

Different "fixes" on how to remove a stuck case are also discussed here:

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=308443
    - bamboomaster

Quote Originally Posted by bamboomaster View Post
    Different "fixes" on how to remove a stuck case are also discussed here:

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=308443
    Bamboomaster,
    Thanks. I did tear the case head up a bit with channel locks, but 2/3 of the rim was gone anyway. The pocket is still intact so I should be able to construct the DIY puller you describe. Thanks for posting it.

(Cumberland County)

With a steel die, you need to lube the cases. I had this happen with 30 carbine on rcbs dies. Looks like you have the solution sorted out. Good luck and you're not the only one that's ever done it.

OK, after all the fun stuff was done this weekend, last night I had some time to pull the stuck case from the die using the described method of drilling out and tapping the primer pocket. I had to settle for a 1/4-20 tap instead of what I would have preferred, a 1/4-28 tap, because no 1/4-28 threaded rod stock or full thread bolts of sufficient length could be found at the Lowes. Long story short, it worked fine. I pulled the case out and found the aftermath of my previous attempts, a sheared off decap pin holder, a bent decap rod, and of course, a broken decap pin. I was able to clockwise the decap rod out and there doesn't seem to be any damage to the threaded hole in the die. I either bent the decap rod threading the hole with a taper tap, or more likely when I tried to use the decap rod to push the case out using the decap rod as a ram. The new parts are on order, as well as a set of Lee Carbide dies for the 500. I was disappointed to discover that Dillon does not make a set of dies for the 500 S&W in steel or carbide, and instead sells the RCBS dies. Thanks to all for the suggestions and comments. BTW this is not recommended as an enjoyable activity and is not nearly as fun as shooting. :-)
    Last edited by bwdavis59; June 12th, 2017 at 09:06 AM. Reason: I can't spell

(Chester County)

Congratulations for resolving your "stuck case" issue.

Now you are officially a member of the "I can't believe this happened to me" clan...

Since it's not exactly a trade secret, be sure to pass the knowledge along to others who will eventually need your guidance...
    - bamboomaster

Quote Originally Posted by bamboomaster View Post
    Congratulations for resolving your "stuck case" issue.

Now you are officially a member of the "I can't believe this happened to me" clan...

Since it's not exactly a trade secret, be sure to pass the knowledge along to others who will eventually need your guidance...
    Bamboomaster,

I can't believe it happened to me. Definitely will pass it along. I have my "extractor" kit assembled now. Thanks to all.

Bruce

Ok I will pass onto you what was passed onto me. Lube the case. 500 has a lot surface area. A lot of friction there. So get a small plastic shoe storage box from Wal-Mart, get a small bottle of lanolin oil, and 2 bottles of 92% isopropyl alcohol. 1 1gallon water container and a spray bottle. Empty water out , pour the 2 bottles in and add lanolin oil. Mix add to spray bottle. Put brass into plastic storage container spray 2 times mix brass around spray 1 more time and mix. They should not stick anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Eod1 View Post
    Ok I will pass onto you what was passed onto me. Lube the case. 500 has a lot surface area. A lot of friction there. So get a small plastic shoe storage box from Wal-Mart, get a small bottle of lanolin oil, and 2 bottles of 92% isopropyl alcohol. 1 1gallon water container and a spray bottle. Empty water out , pour the 2 bottles in and add lanolin oil. Mix add to spray bottle. Put brass into plastic storage container spray 2 times mix brass around spray 1 more time and mix. They should not stick anymore.
    Thanks for the tip. I have some really nice case lube, but neglected to use it. :-(

Cool just thought I would pass it on. Dillon sells it in a spray bottle. Not cheep, but the way I do it ,it's the same stuff and u get 1/2 gallon for like 15 bucks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast