Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Going to Maine for vacation and planning to carry

Hello guys, I need some input as of I will be going to Maine for a family vacation, and would like to take my carry piece with me, we are gonna drive up there from Philadelphia, we will be passing NJ, NY, Connecticut , Massachusetts , New Hampshire and Maine.

I know I'll be fine with my PA LTCF in new Hamshire and Maine, but while driving thru the other not gun friendly states, do I put my gun into my trunk, and mag with ammo in my glove box to avoid any trouble ?

I will not be stopping (or only stop for gas / bathroom) gonna make it to Maine in the same day.

Would need some inputs if somebody knows am I doing it right or wrong lol

thanks

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Going to Maine for vacation and planning to carry

Quote Originally Posted by Slowassmiata View Post
    Hello guys, I need some input as of I will be going to Maine for a family vacation, and would like to take my carry piece with me, we are gonna drive up there from Philadelphia, we will be passing NJ, NY, Connecticut , Massachusetts , New Hampshire and Maine.

I know I'll be fine with my PA LTCF in new Hamshire and Maine, but while driving thru the other not gun friendly states, do I put my gun into my trunk, and mag with ammo in my glove box to avoid any trouble ?

I will not be stopping (or only stop for gas / bathroom) gonna make it to Maine in the same day.

Would need some inputs if somebody knows am I doing it right or wrong lol

thanks
    1. You ain't gonna make it to Maine same-day in a Slowass Miata. Just sayin'...

2. While FOPA allows the ammo in the passenger compartment, it is generally suggested that you have the gun and the ammo in *separate* locked containers in the trunk, with the *empty* magazines separate from the ammo. The definition of "loaded" varied from state to state and is NOT defined in FOPA. In some places it's based on the number of steps from opening the box to firing a shot, and loading the mag is one step further away (and therefore "safer"). In some places a loaded (even one round) mag in proximity to the gun constitutes a loaded gun.

3. I recall reading that some NY (not just NYC) cops have been instructed to ignore FOPA at the roadside and let the courts sort it out, forcing the traveler to return and fight the charges if they ever want to see their gun again.

4. Combination locks make it impossible for Officer Friendly to randomly try your keys to see if he can open your lockboxes.

5. Maine is cold and rocky. Except for lobster, what does it really have going for it?

My 2¢
    IANAL

(Tioga County)

Personally I would suggest three lock boxes. one for ammo, one for mags and one for your firearm. Note getting caught in NJ with hollow points could get iffy.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Philadelphia County)

I'll be doing that drive to Maine soon too from Philly. My past trips, I kept mags empty with boxes of ammo in a bag. Firearm, locked in box. All in trunk, under all my crap, until I got to Maine.

(Montgomery County)

NJ courts have ruled that hallow points are not protected under federal transit law. Drive through the state with such at your own peril.

Transit through NY is iffy as it does not seem they care about federal law even if you have tons of documentation you are just passing through. Maybe if you are going through deep upstate there will be a gun friendly cop or two, but other then that don't trust anyone with a badge.

MA is not going to be much better.

Best advice is keep your gun and ammo separate both in locked cases. Place them outside of plain view in a locked trunk or outside of the passenger compartment. Conceal them the best possible. Follow traffic laws. In the event of a law enforcement encounter keep your mouth shut about guns (there is no "duty to inform" for simply transporting unloaded case locked firearms) and never consent to a search.

Practically speaking, leave around 8-9pm and drive through the night. There is terrible traffic any time throughout the day. Plus less chance you will run into a cop.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    1. You ain't gonna make it to Maine same-day in a Slowass Miata. Just sayin'...

2. While FOPA allows the ammo in the passenger compartment, it is generally suggested that you have the gun and the ammo in *separate* locked containers in the trunk, with the *empty* magazines separate from the ammo. The definition of "loaded" varied from state to state and is NOT defined in FOPA. In some places it's based on the number of steps from opening the box to firing a shot, and loading the mag is one step further away (and therefore "safer"). In some places a loaded (even one round) mag in proximity to the gun constitutes a loaded gun.

3. I recall reading that some NY (not just NYC) cops have been instructed to ignore FOPA at the roadside and let the courts sort it out, forcing the traveler to return and fight the charges if they ever want to see their gun again.

4. Combination locks make it impossible for Officer Friendly to randomly try your keys to see if he can open your lockboxes.

5. Maine is cold and rocky. Except for lobster, what does it really have going for it?

My 2¢
    IANAL
    It's funny that I actually never owned a miata in my life 😂 Your were right tho, I be there mainly for lobsters , and acadia

First ME does not honor Pa LTCF. You do not need a permit to carry in ME, but IIRC state parks are off limits without a Me or reciprocal permit. The Me SP were considering national parks off limits as well, but apparently have backed off that, but be careful.

I would avoid as many anti states as possible and just suck it up and head through NY then into Bennington VT, which is what I did last year. Store gun unloaded in a locked box with ammo in a separate locked box. Don't stop. Seriously don't stop. Don't give them an opportunity to screw with you. It will take longer but so what.
    Last edited by God's Country; June 7th, 2017 at 09:50 PM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by archon View Post
    NJ courts have ruled that hallow points are not protected under federal transit law. <snip>.
    While I agree that FOPA (18 USC 926A) probably does not protect ammunition, I wasn't aware that there was supporting case law. For info could you please provide cites of the NJ court adjudications?
    IANAL

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    While I agree that FOPA (18 USC 926A) probably does not protect ammunition, I wasn't aware that there was supporting case law. For info could you please provide cites of the NJ court adjudications?
    I don't have the case citation off hand but here is an article discussing his case. Basically the trial judge didn't like guns. The jury didn't either. That left the dirty work up to the appellate court that thought by "splitting the baby" with their decision would get him out of jail time. Then Christie stepped in and pardoned him. Conclusion though was ammo is not covered under FOPA and is now binding precedent (and probably correct as the law is written) in NJ.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/brian-aitke...ry?id=12448867

(Chester County)

Even with a pardon, it is still, and arrest, and conviction on his record. I don't take hollow points though NJ.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast