Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Going to Maine for vacation and planning to carry

You best heck each state's laws regarding transport of a firearm through the state. While federal law allows it you still have to comply with state law to do it. As for advice from our colleagues in this forum, none of us can defend you in court if our advice is wrong. I would call the sites attorney general's office in each state you will pass throughough and ask for a refence to the statute number that sets out the requirement. Then look them up and ready the relative sections.

I go to NH every summer to visit with a friend who has a farm and aan excavated range. I ship my 22 LR pistol and rifle to him and buy my ammo in NH.

But if I were to take a gun into the car I would take I 84 to Hartford then I 91 to NH crossing into ME from there rather than MA. It will minimize the time you are exposed. And I would be ultra careful about any kind of traffic infraction. Best not be stopped and asked if you have any weapons in the car.i

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by allenr View Post
    You best heck each state's laws regarding transport of a firearm through the state. While federal law allows it you still have to comply with state law to do it. As for advice from our colleagues in this forum, none of us can defend you in court if our advice is wrong. I would call the sites attorney general's office in each state you will pass throughough and ask for a refence to the statute number that sets out the requirement. Then look them up and ready the relative sections.

I go to NH every summer to visit with a friend who has a farm and aan excavated range. I ship my 22 LR pistol and rifle to him and buy my ammo in NH.

But if I were to take a gun into the car I would take I 84 to Hartford then I 91 to NH crossing into ME from there rather than MA. It will minimize the time you are exposed. And I would be ultra careful about any kind of traffic infraction. Best not be stopped and asked if you have any weapons in the car.i
    How do you ship?
    IANAL

I hope this isn't too late. A couple of thoughts:

Although the FOPA only requires the firearm "OR" the ammunition to be in the trunk or in a locked container if there is no trunk, when New Jersey reproduced the FOPA on the NJ State Police web site they changed "or" to "AND." Which IMHO means any NJ officer or trooper is going to want both the firearm AND the ammo locked up. When I transit NJ, I keep any firearms in locked gun cases, and I put my ammo in an old, steel Craftsman toolbox with a cheap padlock on it.

Maine is now permitless carry. HOWEVER ... carry is prohibited in Maine State parks and in Acadia National Park unless you have a Maine permit.

Better check your map again. Out of Connecticut both I-91 and I-84 lead into Massachusetts. So does I-395. If you stay on I-95 east, it takes you into Rhode Island, and from there you go through Boston to get to Massachusetts.

Yiou cannot go directly from Connecticut to New Hampshire. The only way to avoid Massachusetts is to stay west, circle around Massachusetts through New York (not much of an improvement!), and then through Vermont.
    Last edited by Greywolf; June 25th, 2017 at 04:03 AM.

(Susquehanna County)

A good friend is a Chief of Police, an active NRA, and ACT instructor and active with LEO associations . So very far from the "I am a cop so my word is law even though I talk through my ass"

We were talking about travel to or though IL, NY and NJ and a few other commie states. He does not take a firearm when flying to do TSA lock issues and has lost a firearm that way.. of course he usually has a LEO meet him on the other end and loan him a pew pew.

He also said LEOSA does not protect off duty / retired officers from magazine limits AND AMMO restrictions. Only on duty LEO in NJ can have JHP or HP... BUT.. he said several NJ LEO have told him Hornady Critical Defense were good because they are not technically JHP.

IANAL.. but incase someone plans of driving through NJ and transporting it might be something to consider
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Bucks County)

I could be wrong, but I think the NJ statute says any expanding or dum dum type bullets are illegal, not specifically hollow points.

TL?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think the NJ statute says any expanding or dum dum type bullets are illegal, not specifically hollow points.

TL?
    The subsection title says "dum-dum" but the text also references "hollow nose":

NJSA 2C:39-3f. Dum-dum or body armor penetrating bullets. (1) Any person, other than a law enforcement officer or persons engaged in activities pursuant to subsection f. of N.J.S.2C:39-6, who knowingly has in his possession any hollow nose or dum-dum bullet,
    IANAL

(Bucks County)

Only on duty LEO in NJ can have JHP or HP
    Incorrect. Law has been amended to allow off-duty and retired LEOSA- licensed carriers use of hollow points.

Public Law No. 111-272 on 10/12/2010, the following changes to LEOSA went into effect:
    •More clearly defines disciplinary action in LEOSA’s language to be discipline “which could result in the loss of police powers.”
    •Retired officers are now referred to as “separated from service in good standing.” It lowers their required years of service to 10 years, eliminates the “nonforfeitable” pension or benefit requirement, and eases firearms qualifications to those standard by agency, state, or state certified instructor of LEO’s.

LEOSA
    •Includes the carry of ammunition “not expressly prohibited by Federal law or subject to the provisions of the National Firearms Act.” Federally legal ammunition, such as hollow-point bullets, can be carried where state law would normally prohibit it (i.e. New Jersey).
    •Amtrak, Federal Reserve, and Federal executive branch law enforcement officers are now included in the “qualified” LEO definition.

The magazine capacity limits such as those of NY/NYC however remain unaddressed by LEOSA.
    Last edited by Bang; June 26th, 2017 at 03:20 PM.

(Bucks County)

Unless OP wants his handgun available for self protection while travelling, maybe shipping it to a Maine FFL would be an option, assuming purchase of ammo for it in Maine would be easily done.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123