Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default LTCF change of address rules?

Recently moved out of the marital home. have not yet changed address for driver's license, but guess I will at some point in the near future when i get around to it. Can anyone confirm the rules for the address on the LTCF? I'm guessing that PA would really like them to match. Asking cause I just renewed a few months ago, and don't really want to give the govt more revenue.... Thanks.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: LTCF change of address rules?

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdad View Post
    Recently moved out of the marital home. have not yet changed address for driver's license, but guess I will at some point in the near future when i get around to it. Can anyone confirm the rules for the address on the LTCF? I'm guessing that PA would really like them to match. Asking cause I just renewed a few months ago, and don't really want to give the govt more revenue.... Thanks.
    Your existing LTCF is valid until expiration unless sooner revoked. Unlike a driver's license there is no legal requirement to update the address on the LTCF. However, the issuing sheriff should at least be advised of your new address so she will know where to send the renewal notice when that time comes, as well as where to send a revocation notice in the (hopefully unlikely) event your license is revoked. If your license is revoked you WANT to know so you aren't unwittingly carrying illegally. There's no requirement that the sheriff actually make a confirmed contact with you, just a certified letter to your address. And AFAIK there's no statute or case law protecting you from legal harm if you're caught unknowingly carrying illegally.

You also may want to update the LTCF address to avoid the small chance of being hassled about it by a cop. However of the problem stories that do get posted here, that particular issue (non-matching addresses on DL and LTCF) doesn't seem to be a big one. But again, you WANT the sheriff to know where to send a revocation notice in the event that your license is revoked.
    Last edited by twency; June 7th, 2017 at 04:30 PM. Reason: fixed a couple spelling misteaks
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdad View Post
    Recently moved out of the marital home. have not yet changed address for driver's license, but guess I will at some point in the near future when i get around to it.
    You have FIFTEEN (15) DAYS from when you move. You can simply stop by a PennDOT Driver's License Center, or you can even do it on-line (http://www.updater.com/pennsylvania-...ge-of-address/). Should you be stopped for any traffic infraction after 15 days, Officer Friendly could well write an additional ticket for not having done so.

Can anyone confirm the rules for the address on the LTCF?
    There are none. As previously stated, you license is good until it expires.

I'm guessing that PA would really like them to match.
    Pennsylvania could care less. There's no requirement that the addresses match, just that both licenses be valid, and your driver's license has been updated for the database to reflect your current address.

(Chester County)

Thanks all. makes perfect sense. Much appreciated

I agree with everyone else. Last time I moved I called the sheriff to ask if I needed to change my permit or update my address and they were totally confused and acted as if no one had ever asked them about it before.

The UFA doesn't even address a change of address or even a name change. If you want to get your renewal notice (maybe) you can give them the new address to send it to.

(Pike County)

I walked into Bukies office in Milford and out with a new card with my new address on it. Cost...5 min. of my time. Painless.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Quacked View Post
    I walked into Bukies office in Milford and out with a new card with my new address on it. Cost...5 min. of my time. Painless.
    I have never attempted to change my address. I have read on this forum, from a trusted source, that the Delco Sheriff would revoke and then reissue with the new address. This would cause a revocation to be on your record. The Sheriff has changed since then so I don't know what the policy is currently. There is a huge variation of how ltcfs are handled across the state.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Simply notify the sheriff's office. They will need your new address to send your renewal notice. They will change it in their system and change it on your card when ya get it renewed.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Simply notify the sheriff's office. They will need your new address to send your renewal notice.
    If you're still within that particular county, then the sheriff will send you a renewal notice. If you're now in a different county, then all the renewal notice will do, if they bother to send one, is remind you that you have to go to the new county sheriff's office.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast