Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default dan wesson arms revolver

So a friend a mine inherited this revolver form his father and was looking for some more info on it. when is it from value range for the whole set gun and all barrels.
    any info is much appreciated

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: dan wesson arms revolver

seems to be missing the manila folder holster.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Cumberland County)

Love those DW pistol packs ! I would say $2,000 "ish" for the 357 model. 44 mag. would be more. I'm not an expert, so I'd find someone that is more knowledgeable - but I don't think I'm far off. But if you want to unload fast, I'll give you $1k cash money - lol. Good luck. Looks to be in great shape!
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Elk County)

Dan Wesson "Pistol Pak", the 357 version is the most common, and the ensemble is frequently advertised between $900 and $1500 depending on location and condition. YMMV.

Highly intrinsically accurate revolver, with the barrel being in tension between the frame and the barrel nut.

There should be a funky-looking wrench/gauge in that manila envelope, that's what is needed to swap the barrels.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Cumberland County)

^^ see - wait for the experts I have only seen a few offered, never sold and usually $1500+. probably why they didn't sell - lol.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    seems to be missing the manila folder holster.
    that was a S&W 27, I always though it was a Ruger GP100.
    Those Dan Wesson pistol packs are a holy grail gun for me.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Butler County)

They're only worth a couple hundred bucks. Tell him I'd be willing to take it off his hands for $300 though as I'm a generous guy....

In all seriousness though, they are great guns and for a full pistol pack (2.5, 4, 6 and 8 in barrels) should easily go for over 1k to close to $1,500 possibly more if patient.

(York County)

As other's have said you have a Pistol Pack. More specifically you've got a Dan Wesson Model 15-2 with the Vent Heavy (VH) barrel shrouds. The finish on those guns was amazing, often called a piano black and compared to the "Royal Blue" finish of the Colt Pythons. From the pictures you posted it looks like the bluing is is great shape which is awesome. Tell your friend to really take care of it. Because the finish is so shiny and smooth minor scratches and rusting really stand out. Looks like the standard grip is a little dinged up which is common but will hurt resale value a bit.

Dan Wesson (the man) was the great grandson of Daniel B. Wesson of Smith and Wesson fame. These guns were manufactured at two plants, the original facility in Monson, MA then at Palmer, MA before DW went bankrupt. It was then sold and moved to Norwich, NY where they currently reside. I don't believe any 15-2s were produced at Norwich, NY until recently when they revitalized the line with the stainless steel model 715. The Monson Mass produced pistols are more desirable and generally considered to be better quality than the Palmer guns.

The gun is infinitely tunable which made it very popular with target shooters. They were commonplace at silhouette competitions. You can adjust the trigger overtravel via a small screw in the back of the trigger using the small allen wrench included in the manilla envelope. The barrels are swapped out by first removing the barrel nut (on the end of the muzzle) using the included tool, the barrel shroud will then slide off the front of the gun. The barrel can then be unscrewed from the frame by hand. To attach a new barrel start by screwing the new barrel into the frame. Inside the manilla envelope there should be a feeler gauge (a thin metal tab) that is slid between the cylinder face and barrel to set the cylinder gap (hint: the barrel should just touch the feeler gauge without making it hard to pull the gauge out). Once cylinder gap is set slide the appropriate shroud over the barrel and align the exposed pin on the front of the frame with the matching hole in the barrel shroud (this keeps the shroud from rotating). Now install the barrel nut and hand tighten with the wrench. The grips can also be easily swapped by removing the bolt at the butt of the grip. Once removed the grip should slide off the grip shank (a square metal post at the back of the frame). There's a guy, LB Custom Grips, that makes hand makes grips for various DW models. EWK Arms still makes aftermarket parts like barrels and shrouds although they don't really match the gun aesthetically.

As you can see this gun is something special. One gun can go from an 8" target gun to a 2.5" ankle gun in 5 minutes. If I was your buddy I'd keep it. Selling my last DW 15-2 was the only gungret I've ever had.

As for value... Around here I see complete pistol packs generally go for $1,200-1,500 at gun shops depending on quality. If you sell it to gun shop I'd expect to get between $700-1000 for it.

That said, if your buddy is interested in any trades let me know. I don't have that kind of cash on hand, but I'd be interested.
    Last edited by hss.strat; June 6th, 2017 at 01:58 AM.
    --Adam

(Allegheny County)

If you lost the feeler gauge, the factory spec is .006". The person that had my DW 22 before either lost his, or didn't know what to do with it, because my barrel was so tight that it messed up the feel of the double action. Set it back to .006 and the trigger felt way better.

(Cumberland County)

I've been eyeballing pistol PACs for a while, and that one is in real nice shape. The parts for them are still around. They are a very accurate firearm, and HV shrouds are among the most sought. My only question is are all the sight inserts there, and where is the belt buckle? The barrel tool, feeler gauge and small Allen wrench should all be in the little envelope.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast