Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: New to Hunting; Questions about State Game Lands

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
    Also keep in mind during your scouting that things are going to look a bit different during deer season than they do now with all the leaves on the trees and brush. What I'm saying is that you may go to an area now and find that it's too overgrown to see around you, but during deer rifle season it may be perfect. While you can certainly kill deer in thick stuff and in fields, I like to try to pick an area in the woods where I can see a lot ground around me.
    First time spring turkey hunting I found a nice big tree on opening day. Two weeks later I could not find the tree cause the ferns and laurel had grown in so much.

I have a handheld GPS unit that I use to record my tracks, mark interesting spots, game trails etc. I'm sure there are phone apps that do the same.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    First time spring turkey hunting I found a nice big tree on opening day. Two weeks later I could not find the tree cause the ferns and laurel had grown in so much.

I have a handheld GPS unit that I use to record my tracks, mark interesting spots, game trails etc. I'm sure there are phone apps that do the same.
    So as a young tech geek, yeah, there are apps that do the same, and I do use them. But, I'd like to pick up a dedicated GPS some day because...

1) Screen brightness: No matter how much you lower your phone's brightness, the backlight on the phone can really mess with your eyes in the early morning hours. The black and white GPS's seem a lot more soft and gentle on the eyes.
    2) No data needed: Don't need a data connection (though I'm sure some hunting/trail apps have an option to download maps beforehand), especially in the woods where cell reception can be spotty
    3) Less risk of damaging expensive device: I've dropped my phone in an 8" deep muddy puddle before (it still works perfectly, thankfully). Not something you wanna do with devices that can cost over $700, even if you have a case and insurance
    4) Less risk to a safety device: As much as we love to mess around with apps and whatnot on our phones, it's easy to forget that they're also safety devices. They're one of your best bets to connect to the rest of the world if you ever need serious help. Not only is there the risk of damaging it if you have it out while hunting, but using the GPS and data is a sure way to drain the battery real fast.
    5) Less of a distraction. Self explanatory

I can figure out my way without a fancy toy, but sometimes they help to get you exactly where you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    Hunt something else besides deer first.
    As a pretty new hunter myself, I'd say give squirrel a try for your first one. Happens before deer season, season is plenty long with a good probability of success, is fairly low stress/low seriousness kinda thing, .22s are cheap, and squirrels don't taste all that bad either. Pretty easy to dress them yourself too.

Most important thing is to enjoy your time out there, even if you don't get anything.

Hunting and fishing take time, patience, money, patience, and tons of practice, and patience.
    I am not by any means a master hunter, but I have learned that most beginners do 3 things wrong:,
    1)they move around too much, Mostly because they are bored, beginner hunters fidget, get impatient and start walking around " looking for deer" .If you are moving the deer have already spotted you. Deer have evolved to zero in on movement as most of their predators like wolves and cougars hunt by stalking. get a comfortable pack chair or cushion and stay still. clear the leaves in a 3' circle from your stand so you can do 360 degree sloow scans of your area.
    2) make way too much noise, Most beginners get bored and begin to fidget with their gear, zippers, velcro, metal on metal noises, coghing sneezing, burping, eating from plastic wrappers, soda cans (remember to pack out what you pack in and that means trash too). Get a book and read it. Put your phone down, put it on auto reply and don't talk. clear the leaves quietly from your stand area.
    3)make too much smell. People won't wash with unscented soaps, wear the same unwashed hunting gear from last year. Smoke, chew dip and spit crap all over their stand area. They eat smelly foods like peanutbutter, garlic and beef jerky
    Also as weird as it seems, look at pictures of deer, get your brain used to picking out the details of the whitetails, I have litterally had deer walk right up to me before I recognized them. After I watched some hunting videos and looked at pictures of deer I got better at spotting them before they were close to me.
    Hunting is a solitary activity, and most learning is done though trial and error, and you will start with a LOT of errors. But be patient, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE, Scout an area, and be quiet.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Chester County)

I agree with the above. I've only been hunting a few years but I learned quick that they sense sound and movement easily. I've started hunting in a blind but even then, knowing where to set up it key. Last year I scouted and picked my spot and planned it out and ended up spooking a none to happy buck heading in at 430. Needless to say I didn't see him the rest of the day.

As for location try to head west or north from Philly. SGL 043/ Nockamixon/ evansburg etc get too much pressure from Philly area and jersey. careful too far north and you get New Yorkers too. Archery season has less people but even then those areas seem pretty packed so the pressure is on.

What about man hunting?

(Montgomery County)

Thanks all for the responses.

I do plan on hunting with a 12 gauge Mossberg 500 with slug barrel. I already have the shotgun and just ordered the barrel and scope combo. I would love to get into the archery season, but have no experience with a bow and figure I need to purchase one and get proficient with it before hunting

I know many have suggested to hunt squirrel first, but I have never eaten squirrel before and would hate to kill and animal and waste the meat. I have tried deer before and love the taste of it.

I originally was thinking of buying a climbing tree stand to use, but I am not a fan of heights and I am leaning toward keeping my feet on the ground.

And one last question.... When scouting the SGL I plan on hunting should I be wearing orange this time of year?

Blaze orange is not really necesary, as the only things in season are woodchucks coyotes crows and invasive species like starlings and english sparrows/
    But hell, no one ever got killed for being too safe, a blaze orange ball cap should do nicely..
    Tree stands don't need to be too high, 10-12 feet should be plenty, but get one you can pack in and out, as they have a habit of disappearing
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    Hunting and fishing take time, patience, money, patience, and tons of practice, and patience.
    I am not by any means a master hunter, but I have learned that most beginners do 3 things wrong:,
    1)they move around too much, Mostly because they are bored, beginner hunters fidget, get impatient and start walking around " looking for deer" .If you are moving the deer have already spotted you. Deer have evolved to zero in on movement as most of their predators like wolves and cougars hunt by stalking. get a comfortable pack chair or cushion and stay still. clear the leaves in a 3' circle from your stand so you can do 360 degree sloow scans of your area.
    2) make way too much noise, Most beginners get bored and begin to fidget with their gear, zippers, velcro, metal on metal noises, coghing sneezing, burping, eating from plastic wrappers, soda cans (remember to pack out what you pack in and that means trash too). Get a book and read it. Put your phone down, put it on auto reply and don't talk. clear the leaves quietly from your stand area.
    3)make too much smell. People won't wash with unscented soaps, wear the same unwashed hunting gear from last year. Smoke, chew dip and spit crap all over their stand area. They eat smelly foods like peanutbutter, garlic and beef jerky
    Also as weird as it seems, look at pictures of deer, get your brain used to picking out the details of the whitetails, I have litterally had deer walk right up to me before I recognized them. After I watched some hunting videos and looked at pictures of deer I got better at spotting them before they were close to me.
    Hunting is a solitary activity, and most learning is done though trial and error, and you will start with a LOT of errors. But be patient, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE, Scout an area, and be quiet.
    That is a really good post!
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    Tree stands don't need to be too high, 10-12 feet should be plenty, but get one you can pack in and out, as they have a habit of disappearing
    An aluminum climber would be a good bet. many are only 12-16 lbs. Just make sure you get used to using it prior to taking it out. Don't want to be making a lot of noise trying to set up in the woods not knowing how it works. Steel climbers work but are 20lbs +. You could also go with climbing sticks and a hanging stand. Either option lets you bring it with you the day of instead of hoping its still there when you go back. Other thing is if you change your mind about your set up location you can easily change.

If you are set about ground hunting, a pop-up blind may help you out. Hub or spring type, either are usually fine. I think walmart has a spring one under $20 right now too called the gunman.
    Last edited by jlb0305; June 9th, 2017 at 08:50 AM.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper7575 View Post
    I originally was thinking of buying a climbing tree stand to use, but I am not a fan of heights and I am leaning toward keeping my feet on the ground.
    There are several reasons I never hunt without a tree stand, and climbers are the best for public land:

1. Being off ground level to be away from other hunters' bullets.
    2. Having my own bullets impacting into the dirt by being fired at a down angle.

1 and 2 are reason enough that you'd pretty much have got to have a compelling reason not to do it, like bad arthritis in knees or some other kind of leg or back impairment. We always tell other people and supposedly ourselves as well that safety is always the top priority, so there you have it.

3. Vastly superior field of vision.
    4. Scent, motion, and noise taken off the ground level thus out of the same plane as the deer. Those factors by no means eliminated but still vastly reduced.
    5. Feeling of freedom kind of like flying.
    6. Guard rail is a very handy rest to steady rifle aiming.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast