Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default What is the typical cost of training?

All,

We can agree that having good firearms training is priceless and I am looking to get some training. I am wondering what is a Fair or Average price to pay for training?
    I know that it will depend on what is covered and whether it be beginning or advance but I am just looking for General info and if you have taken a class and would recommend it then let me know.

I have owned a Pistol for 10-15yrs but only recently started shooting it on a regular basis and more interested in carrying. The only instruction I have gotten is from Friends/Family and what I have read/viewed online. I would consider myself a Novice
    I recently saw an ad locally where they were offering a class that consisted of 2 8hr days (sat-sun) and the cost was $400 plus misc Exp (ammo,etc).
    Wasn't sure if that was High or the going rate.

Looking forward to seeing what you all have to say.
    Thanks in advance
    Steve

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: What is the typical cost of training?

That seems fair. Figure 150 to 200 per day for a top tier instructor.
    I just went through a 3 day class for 550. Non members at the club paid an additional 25 per day range fee.

Try to get info on the instructor. Who trained them, what schools they attended. Experience level. Background. Eyc etc.
    Word of mouth or reviews of their prior classes is good info. ( from people who have had multiple c lasses and instructors------ novice, new shooters will pump up a class because they simply don't know good training from other training.)

Before shelling out big bucks, look into a one day firearm manipulation class.
    Most people trained by friends, family or shops aren't always top shelf when it comes to information transfer.

Regardless of what you think you know, you will be surprised at what you either didn't know or knew incorrectly.

A one day class should review basic info.
    Safety, loading unloading, stance, grip, sight alignment sight picture, trigger manipulation , reset, follow through, marksmanship,
    Try to get a feel for what type of holster, belt, mag pouch would serve you best. Although many instructors tell you to bring what you have.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Allegheny County)

I did have to cut that off a bit brief.
    Other considerations.
    Handgun. Many instructors require at minimum, a 9mm / 38 special. Very smsll concealable pistols are difficult to m anipulate for 3 dsys and lots of shooting. Double action/ single action is like trying to learn on 2 guns ( not my words).
    My instructor is a 1911 guy yet told a few students to get a Glock 19 or something similar. Once again, his words.
    Take at least 3 magazines as you will be reloading quickly during some part of most courses. I take 5 and try to keep them topped off.
    Don't play into classes advertising high round counts.
    Although repetition does embed and condition muscle memory, I prefer lower round count and focus on the fundamentals. I fired 479 rounds over 3 days and did not feel lacking in instruction.
    Holster. Stay away from soft flexible holsters.
    You should be able to reholster without looking for the holster or having to hold it open to do so.
    I bought a cheap focus paddle holster just for a class and still use it as a range holster.

Other than that, it's cool that you are taking this step.
    Many of my friends don't and won't.
    My.opinion on that is it's a combination of ego ( they think they don't need it) and fear ( That others will see their lack of knowledge).

That's my opinion and you know how I feel about those.
    Good luck
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Wayne County)

Considering that instructor liability insurance for a class like this has got to be astronomical, it seems fair to me.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Westmoreland County)

Some of it depends on whether the school / instructor is engaged in a commercial / for - profit enterprise.

Col. Cooper started Gunsite never having the intention to operate it as a commercial enterprise. Tuition is expensive there but it costs a great deal to maintain a facility like Gunsite in terms of maintenance and staff. Under the present ownership I believe it has become commercialized.

We are a 501c3 non-profit. We are all unpaid volunteers. As such our rates are extremely reasonable compared to most other for-profit schools / instructors.

(Allegheny County)

"Name" instructor = $200-$300 per day
    "Local" instructor = $100 - $200 per day

This seems to be the average price for training that I have found.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Butler County)

I'm a USCCA instructor and rely on word of mouth and a few business cards.

I focus on the basics and fundamentals, If you want to learn to shoot like an "operator" and be a CQB expert, I can hook you up with folks in those communities, but I AM not your guy.

I like to keep my classes very small in the 2-4 person size, so that new shooters don't get intimidated by the "war horses".

I keep my rates to $100 per person per class and have the 3 different classes in the USCCA curriculum.

@Mods - If I'm violating any sort of business promotion rules, please remove this post.

i've attended a few training classes in checsco for handgun. 4-5 hours outside at NCCSC for $175. so far, its been worth it.

(Berks County)

Thanks for the replies.
    I have no ego when it comes to my firearm skills and I don't feel the need to try and impress anyone either.
    I know I want to get some training but I work 2jobs so need to make sure my time/money are well spent . I also can't see myself going to a 2day (sat-sun) class

When looking at instructor background do u prefer Leo, military or comp? I mostly looking at SD/HD but also interested in 3gun or uspsa comps