Open carrying everywhere I go. I get plenty of non-newsworthy interactions.
Usually interactions such as people asking me what I'm carrying and how I like it, asking me if I'm a cop, and the occasional "Is that real !?".

But tonight at the Old Country Buffet I had a different interaction.

A line was starting to form at the drink fountain; just as a family of several people were being seated near the drink fountain.
I was the third of fourth person in line to the fountain.
The family appeared to be having dinner to celebrate the boy's graduating high school.
Everyone in that family had placed their belongings at the table and then headed to the buffet; except for the eldest man.
And this eldest man; perhaps grandfather; stayed behind to watch everyone's belongings.

Well his head was near level with my M&P on my hip.
He happened to turn and get an all encompassing view of my M&P.
At which point he let out a surprised "Oh my ! A gun !".
After which he very timidly asked if I'm a cop.
I responded "No I'm not.".
He asked something else; I forget what.
But through his choices of words, style of speech, and mannerisms. I really got the vibe that he was employed in the educational system.
Anyway; my reply was that PA is an open carry state.
After which he said "I'm from Illinois. And there the only people who carry guns are cops and criminals.".

I was about to respond with something such "How's that working out for ya.".
But by then it was my turn at the drink fountain. And I didn't want to hold up the people in line behind me. So I did not say that; and just let the short conversation end with his last reply.

After getting my drink at the fountain. I attempted to restart the conversation by saying how many people in PA have their LTCF.
But he really did not want to hear it. I do not recall he exact words.
However; it was along the lines of it being ok because he was sure we had extensive backgrounds checks and LOTS of training before getting our permit.
And I'm sure he was only saying it to make himself feel assured. And not that he cared one bit what I was saying.
But he worded it in such a manor that it sounded like he was giving me permission to carry !

I'm so glad I finally got his permission. I had no idea I wrongfully carrying without his permission these past few years.