Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default I can carry now. I got permission from the guy from Illinois. :^)

Open carrying everywhere I go. I get plenty of non-newsworthy interactions.
    Usually interactions such as people asking me what I'm carrying and how I like it, asking me if I'm a cop, and the occasional "Is that real !?".

But tonight at the Old Country Buffet I had a different interaction.

A line was starting to form at the drink fountain; just as a family of several people were being seated near the drink fountain.
    I was the third of fourth person in line to the fountain.
    The family appeared to be having dinner to celebrate the boy's graduating high school.
    Everyone in that family had placed their belongings at the table and then headed to the buffet; except for the eldest man.
    And this eldest man; perhaps grandfather; stayed behind to watch everyone's belongings.

Well his head was near level with my M&P on my hip.
    He happened to turn and get an all encompassing view of my M&P.
    At which point he let out a surprised "Oh my ! A gun !".
    After which he very timidly asked if I'm a cop.
    I responded "No I'm not.".
    He asked something else; I forget what.
    But through his choices of words, style of speech, and mannerisms. I really got the vibe that he was employed in the educational system.
    Anyway; my reply was that PA is an open carry state.
    After which he said "I'm from Illinois. And there the only people who carry guns are cops and criminals.".

I was about to respond with something such "How's that working out for ya.".
    But by then it was my turn at the drink fountain. And I didn't want to hold up the people in line behind me. So I did not say that; and just let the short conversation end with his last reply.

After getting my drink at the fountain. I attempted to restart the conversation by saying how many people in PA have their LTCF.
    But he really did not want to hear it. I do not recall he exact words.
    However; it was along the lines of it being ok because he was sure we had extensive backgrounds checks and LOTS of training before getting our permit.
    And I'm sure he was only saying it to make himself feel assured. And not that he cared one bit what I was saying.
    But he worded it in such a manor that it sounded like he was giving me permission to carry !

I'm so glad I finally got his permission. I had no idea I wrongfully carrying without his permission these past few years.
    --ET

Default Re: I can carry now. I got permission from the guy from Illinois. :^)

I was at a Brat stand on I 41 in Wisconsin where I live. A guy from Illinois was eating a brat turned around and saw my 1911, he almost choked, ran to his car fled from the parking lot. My son and Daughter in law live in Illinois. She grew up there. She abhors the violence and death in Chicago. The thought of a gun in the house is completely out of the question as far as she is concerned. We have this talk but no change is in sight. Really sad thing is I have to keep my sons gun here in Wisconsin where they are doing him no good if something would happen.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz2720 View Post
    I was at a Brat stand on I 41 in Wisconsin where I live. A guy from Illinois was eating a brat turned around and saw my 1911, he almost choked, ran to his car fled from the parking lot. My son and Daughter in law live in Illinois. She grew up there. She abhors the violence and death in Chicago. The thought of a gun in the house is completely out of the question as far as she is concerned. We have this talk but no change is in sight. Really sad thing is I have to keep my sons gun here in Wisconsin where they are doing him no good if something would happen.
    Where in WI? Originally I'm from Oshkosh right off 41

Ok guys we keep having this conversation over and over. Those of us who live in Illinois do not accept that Crook County and Chiraq are in Illinois. They are part of Madigandia and not part of us. Please when talking to visitors please ask where they come from, we do not all live in Crook County just 60%.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

OCB OC....classic.

(Indiana County)

I was at a Brat stand on I 41 in Wisconsin where I live. A guy from Illinois was eating a brat turned around and saw my 1911, he almost choked, ran to his car fled from the parking lot.
    We've had a few stories about Pennsylvanians and their interesting interactions with Canadians, New Jerseyites and Marylanders (and New Yorkers from New York City). We need more such stories.

the most amusing OC encounter I remember happened roughly 5 years ago. I was OCing in one of those "outlets" malls in PA. Inside the Coach store, there was a Japanese couple (obviously tourists). the husband saw my OCed SIG, and he just stood there, staring at it and me. It was an indignant, almost contfrontational stare. His wife was literally pulling at his arm, to move on.

It was something. It's too bad, I wish I could have talked to them for a few minutes.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    the most amusing OC encounter I remember happened roughly 5 years ago. I was OCing in one of those "outlets" malls in PA. Inside the Coach store, there was a Japanese couple (obviously tourists). the husband saw my OCed SIG, and he just stood there, staring at it and me. It was an indignant, almost contfrontational stare. His wife was literally pulling at his arm, to move on.

It was something. It's too bad, I wish I could have talked to them for a few minutes.
    Surprised he didn't take a photo of you or your openly displayed weapon.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    Surprised he didn't take a photo of you or your openly displayed weapon.
    Yes, I thought the same thing. However, I believe that the Japanese are horribly brainwashed by their gov. I remember reading a piece by David kopel wherein he mentions that there is a law in Japan that forbids a Japanese subject from ever touching a firearm. I think this becomes a problem for Japanese tourists who come to Hawaii and want to shoot at an American gun range. It's that bad in some countries

Quote Originally Posted by BF750 View Post
    Where in WI? Originally I'm from Oshkosh right off 41

I'm moving to Wisconsin for a promotion in august. Gonna be in the oxford area somewhere how far is Oshkosh from that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast