Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Police

(Dauphin County)

Default Good Police

Had an automobile accident today. No one injured, was not my fault and her car and my truck both could drive away after the accident. Nevertheless police needed to be called and they were great. All paper work insurance, registration, and drivers license asked for by police and gladly presented by me. Police officer makes his report all goes as well as an auto accident could possibly go. When he finishes up in his police car with the report he asks if I am armed.

I tell him yes and that I have a PA LCFA, he tells me that he already knows and it came up as soon as he pulled my info. He asked that in the future if ever I get pulled over, have an accident, am asked for my ID that I present my LCFA so that everyone is aware and if the gun is on my person or in my vehicle that way no one gets nervous, stressed, etc.

I find his request reasonable and after it was all said and done he said he was totally in favor of responsible citizens being armed.

I think I will take his advice. I have only once been asked to produce my LCFA, and that was while Bear hunting by a game warden. I had a bolt action rifle and a holstered and partially concealed pistol. I produced and hunted the rest of the day.

However, part of me also thinks it is best to tell the officer that I am presenting the LCFA and informing them about the firearm simply to make sure that they know I am aware of how difficult their job is and I am a calm responsible citizen and just being respectful and I'm not a threat to them.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by PAwhitetailbowhunter; June 3rd, 2017 at 10:24 PM.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Good Police

Sounds positive, although you seem somewhat surprised that there are '"good police". Have you had other experiences to the contrary?
    Last edited by JAKIII; June 3rd, 2017 at 09:19 PM.

(Dauphin County)

No no not at all. As I reflect back on 46 years of living. ALL of my experiences with AMERICAN/U.S. police have been mutually respectful and very professional. All have been positive. That being said you asked about other experiences. I lived in Mexico City from 1996 to 2001 and my experiences with Mexican police would be VERY VERY different. But those would be stories for not only another thread but you would have to buy me at least a few beers before I would regale you with tales of corrupt Mexico City police.

(Chester County)

Fair enough. I submit the preponderance of good police far outweigh the bad, Mexico City notwithstanding.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    Fair enough. I submit the preponderance of good police far outweigh the bad, Mexico City notwithstanding.
    I would agree whole heartedly. My intention was to create a thread that told a story often contrary to main stream media. This particular police officer had a calming effect on the entire situation. I also think my own affect and communication contributed the positive outcome. I am appreciative and grateful for those who protect and serve.

I was more looking to stimulate conversation about when to communicate with law enforcement about your/my armed status. I will submit that my unwillingness to engage/escalate the situation with the other driver, my "Yes Sir only speak when spoken to, back off, this officer has a job to do" verbal communication, compared to the yelling and agitated behavior of the other driver, and my calm non-confrontational body language allowed the officer to do his job and even though he knew I was likely carrying a loaded gun, he was relaxed, and de-escalated the situation with the other driver.

All positive.

(Allegheny County)

Oh boy. Not this stuff again.

You do what you wish and good luck with it, but after seeing all the BAD that can happen I will NEVER volunteer info that is not required and DOES have the potential to cause big problems for ME.
    I'm labeled a "badge licker" here because of my support for police, but quite honestly, "fuck them" and their desire to know if I'm armed.

Nope. Bad idea.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Delaware County)

I respectfully disagree with you. There should be no way for the police to even cross reference your ltcf status, we should not even need a ltcf, but that is for another thread, you were never a threat to him. Him knowing about you being armed is a threat against you. Being a "good cop" or a "bad cop" is besides the point. Being conditioned to just hand over your "papers" is a danger to society in general.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Monroe County)

If it comes up why the fuck do we need to tell them?
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Northampton County)

Wife got pulled over the other day for doing 52 in a 45. After running her drivers license he asked if she was carrying her weapon.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by S&W19 View Post
    Wife got pulled over the other day for doing 52 in a 45. After running her drivers license he asked if she was carrying her weapon.
    It's amazing that 52/45 got her pulled over, but I digress. So, what happened next?

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast