Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Wow. Newly acquired chronograph reveals a surprise.

Took my new Caldwell G2 to the range today and ran a few of what has become my kind of standard 168gr SMK .308 loads thru it. I'd expected 2600s. I got 2700s ranging from 2754 to 2796. I think it's a little hot. 42.8 gr of 4064, which a respected M1A guru says is Federal's premium load the long range military guys like. It is a very accurate load in my 24" Savage 10.

I think I'll tone it down a bit for the short ranges I shoot. The brass will last longer. Probably the rifle too.

Sure is great having a chronograph. It's needed to show what's what. Next: my 357 SIGs. The ones that were raising eyebrows at an indoor range a few months ago.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Wow. Newly acquired chronograph reveals a surprise.

Before changing anything I would fire some factory ammo or reloads of known velocity to confirm. My old chrono would sometimes give high velocities if the lighting wasn't perfect.

If that is not the problem then it could be a case where your Savage has a short throat which leads to higher pressures. In that case the velocities you are seeing aren't out of the question. Most likely this is not the issue and if you aren't seeing pressure signs then I would bet on the chronograph giving false readings.

(Blair County)

First, congrats on buying the chronrgraph!! EVERY serious loader NEEDS one. I talk to a lot of reloaders, and if they don’t have access to a chronograph I don’t take them serious. You CANNOT get velocities from a reloading manual or worse, from the internet/. Yes, a improper set-up can (will) cause bad info to be generated. BUT, with one, you can get Standard Deviation and Extreme Spread, there is no other way. Consistency is the only way to get accuracy! See this link:

http://www.gswagner.com/6.5matchrifl...tchrifle6.html

Note that all 44 “loads” were 5-rounds each, a total of 220 rounds.

Check out the graphs!!

None of this would have been possible without a chronograph.

Steve

(Bucks County)

SteveWag, I had read 28 things on your site last summer. They are still showing having been read. Interesting stuff, and thanks for sharing!

This model (Caldwell G2) is built upside-down. The reflectors are the base, which also houses the LED lights for indoor use. The sensors and readout are at the top.
    It is calibrated by the manufacturer to a 1/4 of a percent (.25) accuracy. I think it will prove reliable.

(Jefferson County)

Did you figure in the fact that you are using a 24" barrel versus the typical 22" barrels that most non-magnum loads are referenced to?
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Where's the "Why Don't You Reload?" thread when you need it?
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

Did you figure in the fact that you are using a 24" barrel versus the typical 22" barrels that most non-magnum loads are referenced to?
    No.