Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default I need Help and Advice about carrying in a federal building and the Consequences

Today i took some paperwork to the Social Security Disability office in Butler County PA.

I walked in and there was a guard and asked if i had any guns or knives. I was honest and said yes i am conceal carrying at the moment. (I thought you could check your gun just like at a court house.)

He said thats not allowed and asked me for my CC permit and my drivers license and then asked me to take my weapon to my car. I said okay and complied.
    He said he had to make a report and send it to Harrisburg. He photo copied my CC permit and My drivers license and than asked me what i had been carrying and how many rounds were in it. I was honest and told him my Glock 43 with 6 rounds. He wrote that down and started his report.

I asked if i was in any kind of trouble and he assured me that I wasn't but now im still nervous. I dont want to get into trouble and also dont want to lose my CC permit because I dont want to have to open carry forever.

It was an honest mistake where i thought i could check my gun if needed. Personally in my opinion the constitution should be permit enough and my rights Shall Not Be Infringed but i know not everybody sees it the same way.

Has anybody else had ran into this?
    Does Anybody Know whats going to Happen and If its a big deal or not and if i should worry.
    Does anybody have any advice?

Please Help Me out Here! Thanks!

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: I need Help and Advice about carrying in a federal building and the Consequences

Seems like a lot to go through.I wonder who is in Harrisburg that the report was being sent to?
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Mifflin County)

Default Re: I need Help and Advice about carrying in a federal building and the Consequences

Quote Originally Posted by rossman42 View Post
    I dont want to get into trouble and also dont want to lose my CC permit because I dont want to have to open carry forever.
    Yeah, because walking everywhere would be miserable.

Advice? Lawyers are the best source when it comes to stuff like this.

(Bucks County)

I recall seeing a thread on this years ago. Probably a good idea to read it and see that unless a case had made it through the courts, the 'for other lawful purpose' element is not defined.

Seems like they took a lot information, none of which is helpful to you. You have a few options, do nothing, meet with an attorney well versed in firearms law now and explain the situation to hear their perspective or wait to hear back from the SSA on wha they plan on doing with the info. Me, I'd talk to a lawyer now just to have someone help me if I was informed of troubling news from the governement.

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=221171

(Venango County)

I believe you can't carry in Federal bldgs and offices/spaces where federal employees conduct their work such as National Park Service museums and offices. I would be concerned.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Armstrong County)

You can't carry in a federal building.

Welcome to pafoa

(Berks County)

Might want to contact an attorney ASAP instead of asking us folks so that you have the appropriate response if/when this comes knocking at the door. I think we have a good one around here somewhere.....

(Montgomery County)

I fear you'll be feeling the weight of the jack boot upon your neck shortly.

Isn't freedom great?

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    I believe you can't carry in Federal bldgs and offices/spaces where federal employees conduct their work such as National Park Service museums and offices. I would be concerned.
    Can't carry in a federal office/building. May want to talk to an attorney before you get "a call".

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by ColtShooter View Post
    Might want to contact an attorney ASAP instead of asking us folks so that you have the appropriate response if/when this comes knocking at the door. I think we have a good one around here somewhere.....
    i called the Public defenders office and they said that they cant even talk with me until a charge would be filed and there is no way i could afford to speak with a normal lawyer.

I then called the Local sheriff but there was nobody available to talk to besides the girl who answered the phone. She didnt have much good info and suggested that i call back tomorrow

I also called another counties Sheriffs Office and spoke to a Sheriff and he actually said he went to the social security office about a year ago while he was off duty and out of uniform and did the same exact thing but in a different county. He said he was also asked to take his gun back to his car but said they never took any of his info. He said he seen no reason for them to take my information and said that i didnt break any laws because i never tried to go past the security desk with the gun and he said that he would have no idea who this guy was sending the report to in Harrisburg. he didnt think i had anything to worry about. He said the best thing in my favor was that nobody including the Guard/Officer Never seen the gun because it was properly concealed and for all he knew i was mistaken and it was my wallet in my pocket (I pocket carry in my front pocket with the proper Pocket Holster) and not a gun. So there is actually absolutely zero evidence that i had a gun at all. He said that because i completely complied and didnt give the guard/officer any problems that should work in my favor as well.
    The Sheriff suggested that i go back again tomorrow and speak to the guard/officer to politely take his name and info and find out what exactly he submitted and to whom he submitted it to.

He helped me feel a bit better but im still nervous.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast