Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default SCOTUS Overrules 9th in Police Related 4th Amendment Case

Hard to believe but it was 8-0 decision.
    http://reason.com/blog/2017/05/30/su...r-police-in-ma
    NRA Life Member

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: SCOTUS Overrules 9th in Police Related 4th Amendment Case

It looks to me like a weakening of the 4th amendment.
    Now police don't even need a warrant to enter your home and shoot you.

(Juniata County)

This is a bad ruling. The cops committed an armed home invasion w/ attempted murder when the home owner was found armed (with a toy).

In 2002 the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit said that the lawful use of deadly force by the police may be ruled unlawful if the police themselves "created the need to use force" by acting in an illegal manner. "Where an officer intentionally or recklessly provokes a violent confrontation, if the provocation is an independent Fourth Amendment violation," the 9th Circuit held in Billington v. Smith, the officer "may be held liable for his otherwise defensive use of deadly force." Otherwise known as the "provocation doctrine," this legal standard has served as an important check on overreaching law enforcement tactics. Today, by a vote of 8-0, the U.S. Supreme Court rejected the 9th Circuit's reasoning and wiped the provocation doctrine off the books.

At issue today in County of Los Angeles v. Mendez was a 2010 incident in which two deputies from the L.A. County Sheriff's Department entered the residence of Angel Mendez and Jennifer Garcia without a search warrant, spotted Mendez holding a BB gun (which he kept on hand to fend off rats), and shot both Mendez and Garcia multiple times in ostensible self-defense. Mendez's right leg was later amputated below the knee as a result of his injuries. Garcia was shot in the back.

Mendez and Garcia sued, charging the police with illegal search, illegal seizure, and illegal use of force under the Fourth Amendment. In March 2016, Mendez and Garcia prevailed at the 9th Circuit, which rejected the officers' pleas for qualified immunity and instead held that the two detectives were "liable for the shooting as a foreseeable consequence of their unconstitutional entry even though the shooting itself was not unconstitutionally excessive force under the Fourth Amendment." In other words, Mendez and Garcia prevailed under the provocation doctrine.

Writing today for a unanimous Supreme Court, Justice Samuel Alito overturned that 9th Circuit decision, dismantled the provocation doctrine, and ruled in favor of the officers. The provocation doctrine "is incompatible with our excessive force jurisprudence," Justice Alito declared. "The rule's fundamental flaw is that it uses another constitutional violation to manufacture an excessive force claim where one would not otherwise exist." According to Alito, "there is no need to dress up every Fourth Amendment claim as an excessive force claim."

Of course, if the police had not violated the Constitution to begin with in this case, the police would not have had the opportunity to use any sort of force at all. The indisputable fact is that Angel Mendez would still have the use of his right leg if the detectives had not disobeyed the Fourth Amendment, illegally entered his home, and shot him.

The Supreme Court's opinion in County of Los Angeles v. Mendez is available
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Montgomery County)

I would be interested to hear GunLawyer's opinion on this one.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Northampton County)

Let them overrule the 50 out of 100 bullets I put into them when I don't know who they are. Just knock on my fucking door and have a squad car with lights flashing. I'll come talk to you.

What is the reason for this South American death squad nonsense?

Oh, we think he might have weed, or passed bad checks, or she might not have paid her student loans. We need to break in their door in the middle of the night and shoot them. If that's the way you think, you deserve what you get. And you need to get a lot more of it. Evil motherfuckers. Can't you plan? Can't you stop hurting people? WTF is wrong with you? Trust me, I can figure out how to do this with nobody getting hurt. I think you guys get a kick out of it.
    Last edited by ungawa; June 1st, 2017 at 03:41 PM.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Let them overrule the 50 out of 100 bullets I put into them when I don't know who they are. Just knock on my fucking door and have a squad car with lights flashing. I'll come talk to you.

Oh, we think he might have weed, or passed bad checks, or she might not have paid her student loans. We need to break in their door in the middle of the night and shoot them. If that's the way you think, you deserve what you get. And you need to get a lot more of it. Evil motherfuckers. Can't you plan? Can't you stop hurting people? WTF is wrong with you? Trust me, I can figure out how to do this with nobody getting hurt. I think you guys get a kick out of it.
    Completely agree... I could rant on about this a bunch... but I'm not going to bother.
    -=pardon me while I burn and rise above the flames=-

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by oldengineer View Post
    Hard to believe but it was 8-0 decision.
    http://reason.com/blog/2017/05/30/su...r-police-in-ma
    Just the government circle jerking itself again.
    Let's not forget there are still species of tropical penguins living in the Galapagos.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post

unable to rep.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    unable to rep.
    I will
    Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

I predict this does not end well for many on either side of the door. Uptick in shoot-through-the-door events from inside?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast